iFi Audio Pro iDSD discussion thread
Jan 6, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #286 of 3,458
The head control for multichannel playback? That is awesome!!

Absolute volume control from the computer and on the device is sweet too!!  

Jan 6, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #288 of 3,458
The new idsd mini should be a pure DAC without any amp built in. Who agrees with me? And the bluetooth function is unnecessary too.

At the price range having a built in amp is good. Like the OPPO HA-1 for example. For me WiFI would make more sense than bluetooth since it is limited to CD redbook quality at best.

Jan 6, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #289 of 3,458
At the price range having a built in amp is good. Like the OPPO HA-1 for example. For me WiFI would make more sense than bluetooth since it is limited to CD redbook quality at best.

I agree. The pricing is good but it could be even lower. For example if someone needs only a dac then he will buy it, the same situation happens when somebody needs just an amp and vice versa.

In my opinion ifi should focus to built the best DAC box and separately an amp (iCAN). The mini's are no more an portable audio so its not necessary to have both amp and dac in one box.

Jan 6, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #290 of 3,458

This is all we can divulge at this moment in time.

Have you "copied" the Mytek? 
L3000.gif

Jan 6, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #291 of 3,458
Originally Posted by iFi audio /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Originally the iDSD mini Pro  was set to use the same Generation 1.5 XMOS and CPU Core as the iDSD micro, but expanded to allow 4 DAC Chip's and with a different analogue stage. This would have given the iDSD headlining specs, including DSD512 and 768KHz PCM, but would have left it a little difficult to include in a number of scenarios.

Has the iDSD Pro DSD512 and 768KHz PCM, or not?

Jan 6, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #293 of 3,458
Hello, I understand the mini-iDSD will be fully balanced with balanced line-level outputs, my question is can you please have a 4-pin balanced out for headphones, this is the only thing I don't think i saw in the spec sheet unless I missed it.

Jan 7, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #294 of 3,458
Hello, I understand the mini-iDSD will be fully balanced with balanced line-level outputs, my question is can you please have a 4-pin balanced out for headphones, this is the only thing I don't think i saw in the spec sheet unless I missed it.

I remember it does have the 4-pin balanced. What it doesn't is the two (L and R) 3-pin balanced like the BHA-1.

Jan 7, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #295 of 3,458
  mini Pro series 'iDSD Pro' - the specifications

(can the original poster change the title from "mini" to "Pro" desktop?
wink_face.gif
)

Okay, okay - here you guys go.

To answer the above questions, (except for the casework), the micro is not a "super-size" of the nano, neither will the mini Pro series "iDSD Pro".

Originally the iDSD mini Pro  was set to use the same Generation 1.5 XMOS and CPU Core as the iDSD micro, but expanded to allow 4 DAC Chip's and with a different analogue stage. This would have given the iDSD headlining specs, including DSD512 and 768KHz PCM, but would have left it a little difficult to include in a number of scenarios.

But this the iFi flagship. Following on from the discussions with distributors, customers and professionals in the recording industry, we will instead use the iDSD Pro to develop the Generation 2 version of the platform. This includes a few, but significant adjustments in usability and a number of features targeted at the professional market, though they do have uses in domestic audio as well.

Key changes are:

1) External Clock Synchronisation
The iDSD Pro will allow the use of external clocks for USB and AES/EBU modes.

Options available are the use of the BNC socket as 10MHz atomic clock input (this affects all clocks and inputs).

For external sync either Wordclock via BNC or AES3 on the XLR input are supported. Finally the BNC can be configured as wordclock out (to make one iDSD Pro the "master" in a multi channel playback setup).

The wordclock synchronisation is mainly for professional use, but will also allow the iDSD to be used in multichannel playback at home, as for this all DACs MUST be synchronised.

The ability to add an external atomic (or other low-jitter) clock will cater to those who like to tweak their setups to the limit, as it replaces the internal crystal clock reference directly.

2) USB linked Volume Control
The iDSD mini will use a fully balanced (4-deck) Alps motorised Potentiometer as volume control. This volume control will be linked into the Master Volume control for the USB Device with a full feedback loop, meaning if you move the slider in Windows/Mac, the actual potentiometer rotates to match this and in reverse, adjust the volume and the slider moves. The adjustment will be highly precise so it matches across multiple units and is absolute - that is set several to -10dB and what you get is precisely -10dB.

The volume setting system used here is a derivation of the "flying faders" system used in Pro-Audio to automate mixes, but obviously has many uses outside pro-audio, especially if linked with the replay gain function, if replay-gain is applied to this volume control.

Of course, there will also be a handset to remote control the volume. And being able to set the Potentiometer explicitly to any position, we will include separate memories for volume settings for Headphone and Line out mode. So plug in your Headphones and the Volume returns to the last volume setting used when a headphone was connected, unplug it and the volume returns to that set for the line out. So an analogue Volume control with all the precision and comfort of a digital one. But none of the drawbacks such as losing Bits which the truncating signal etc.

3) DSD decoding from SPDIF
This is probably the most requested feature, simply put, the iDSD Pro will be able to receive DoP encoded DSD over the SPDIF & AES/EBU inputs. This is actually not hard to implement, just a bit time-consuming, but we kind of missed the demand for this, so it was never implemented before.

4) Passive Filtering and Discrete Analogue stage
The analogue stage in the iDSD Pro will be completely discrete, no Op-Amp IC's and in fact the actual discrete design will also not just be Op-Amp made discrete (and often worse than the best integrated ones) but will use something radically different, pure Class A (
beerchug.gif
) being among the features. Much of the circuitry draws its inspiration from legendary and exceptionally sounding studio equipment.

Not only that, but the DAC outputs will have a purely passive, CLC (Capacitor-Resistor-Capacitor) based lowpass filter to remove ultrasonic noise. Commonly the DAC outputs are filtered at least in part active. Often active filters struggle with the amount ultrasonic noise and RFI they have to handle and at a few 100kHz they often loose the ability to filter at all.

Not so for the iDSD Pro. Using passive CLC filtering provides the correct filtering out to many Megahertz, so that the following analogue stage is not required to handle ultrasonic noise and RFI outside it's ability to handle.

5) Dimmable Display with off option
We have been getting requests ranging from "can you make the display brighter" to "can we turn the display off". So the Display on the iDSD will be adjustable in several steps of brightness, including "bright" and "off". In a move borrowed from the AMR line, if there is any change that requires indication the display will show this for a few seconds at maximum brightness before returning to whatever is set up (including off).

This is all we can divulge at this moment in time.

This Mini Pro iDSD is getting more and more interesting each day!

Jan 7, 2015 at 7:00 AM Post #299 of 3,458

Sounds good!

Why not just put the atomic clock as default?  Will it make the cost jump to much?

Hi,

The cost would jump into multiples.

The standalone atomic clock itself such as this one below which we like alone, costs 4-figures.

We like the Sanford Research Clock, as it is both one of the most affordable ones AND not from an Audio Company (SR are strictly pro test gear and are very good at it) AND one of the lowest phase noise ones (it is nearly as good as a Wenzel midrange Crystal oscillator - which for an atomic clock is quite exceptional).

Note: To compare jitter inside the clock we prefer to measure on phase noise, not pico seconds.

eg. A name you all are likely to have heard of is dCS who allow their gear to be slaved to an atomic clock:

http://www.dcsltd.co.uk/products/vivaldi-clock/

So for the ~US$13.5k dCS Vivaldi Clock you still need to buy the Atomic Clock.

As always, you have to implement the clock well too, not just do it textbook.

Kind of what we did with the AMR DP-777. So there is a fair bit of technical implementation involved (aside from cost).

If you like, some tech background here:
http://amr-audio.co.uk/html/dp777_tech-papers_jitter.html

As clocks warm up etc, they drift eg 44.113564 to 44.16599...if one wants to nail jitter truly thoroughly...there is a lot of work to be done on the implementation side.

Like needing a good chef to work with good ingredients.

Last but not least, the clock system in the iDSD Pro (and iDSD micro already) will be the same as in the DP-777 and has femto seconds levels of Clock Jitter. (The nano iDSD uses classic Crystal Clocks instead). This was covered over in the Crowd-Design thread.

But the best Atomic Clocks CAN do even better and in some studio applications the extra accuracy from atomic clocks is very much appreciated.

(For most audio users the normal internal clock mode will be fine - so there is an element of overkill going on here.)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jan 7, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #300 of 3,458

Hi,

The cost would jump into multiples.

The standalone atomic clock itself such as this one below which we like alone, costs 4-figures.

(For most audio users the normal internal clock mode will be fine - so there is an element of overkill going on here.)

Understand. Really appreciate for the insightful explanation, thanks!

Is that mean that the atomic clock upgrade will cost around 4 figures?

I read somewhere that sometime the expensive clock is used only for digital sources other than USB input.  Is that true?  
For Pro iDSD, will the same high quality clock be used for all the digital sources or only some?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back