iFi Audio Pro iDSD discussion thread
Nov 24, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #166 of 3,458
What would be the point? The biggest part of the cost of a component is the casework. The circuit and socket for the headphone amp is only a small part of the cost. Removing it won't make the product significantly cheaper.

I was thinking about those who want a quality DSD DAC without all the extras.  Actually, have a base model without any of the add-ons.  Can you post how much the casework and circuit parts costs?  I'm not aware of the prices.

Nov 24, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #167 of 3,458
What would be the point? The biggest part of the cost of a component is the casework. The circuit and socket for the headphone amp is only a small part of the cost. Removing it won't make the product significantly cheaper.

I was thinking about those who want a quality DSD DAC without all the extras.  Actually, have a base model without any of the add-ons.  Can you post how much the casework and circuit parts costs?  I'm not aware of the prices.

Most of the analogue circuitry used to drive the headphones is also used to drive the RCA and XLR outputs too. Only the final output buffer could actually be removed along with the headphone sockets.

Nov 24, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #169 of 3,458
They already have that---AMR DP777.

Nov 24, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #171 of 3,458
But that does not have DSD capability, right?
I thought it does, but checking AMR website it seems you're right. Well, now I'm really waiting for that mini iDSD!...:D

Including a HP amp wouldn't hurt. In fact I think that's better (vs external HP amp) because you got a much shorter signal path.

Nov 24, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #172 of 3,458
AMR has released an upgrade for their DAC. It allows one to listen to native DSD as well as improves other aspects of an already popular design.

Nov 25, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #174 of 3,458
AMR has released an upgrade for their DAC. It allows one to listen to native DSD as well as improves other aspects of an already popular design.
Great to know that. Thanks for the info. Cheers.

Nov 30, 2014 at 7:52 AM Post #176 of 3,458
  Hi all,

Major case of feature creep - so we are going to aim for prototype for CES and then launch in Mar.

When we have anything close to soup, we'll put it up here.

The next new product is the Retro and that is coming in November.

Okay, not fully soup, but here you go as we're in a good mood today!

iDSD mini    
Fully-Balanced DAC (USB/SPDIF/AES-EBU/Bluetooth)   
Formats:44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192/352.8/384/705.6/768KHz PCM   
 2.8/3.1/5.6/6.2/11.2/12.4/22.4/24.8MHz DSD   
 DXD   
Filter:PCM: Standard/Minimum Phase digital, Bitperfect 1, Bitperfect 2; selectable  
 DSD: Standard/Extended Range/Minimal analogue, selectable   
 DXD: Bitperfect Processing, fixed analogue filter   
DAC:Quad Core Dual Mono Bit Perfect DSD, PCM & DXD DAC by Burr Brown in current output mode (4-DAC Chip; 8-Channel; 16-Signals)
Clock:                            Ultra low jitter Crystal Clock (rms jitter < 300 Femtoseconds)   
Analogue Stages:Balanced fully discrete Class A - Non-Feedback I/V conversion by single BISS Supertransistor
 Balanced fully discrete Class A - Non-Feedback Line output buffer using J-Fets and BISS Supertransistors
 High Speed current mode Class A Headphone Buffer with balanced fully discrete Class A - Non-Feedback input buffer using J-Fets and BISS Supertransistors
Volume Control:Balanced 4-Way precision analogue by ALPS, Remote Control, can be bypassed for Line Outs
Audio Path passives:Tantalum Oxide Thin Film thin film surface mounted resistors,   
 TDK high stability C0G surface mounted capacitors   
 Panasonic PolyPhenylene Sulfide stacked film surface mounted capacitors  
 Elna Silmic II Electrolytic Capacitors   
Input: (selectable)USB 3.0   
 compatible with iPhone,iPod, iPad and Android Devices USB-OTG#   
 SPDIF RCA/Optical (only PCM up to 192KHz)  
 AES-EBU Balanced   
 BNC SPDIF Unbalanced   
 Bluetooth with aptX   
Audio System Support:PC - ASIO 2.2, WASAPI, Kernel Streaming (KS), Directsound   
 Mac - Core Audio   
OutputXLR True Balanced Audio (Output adjustable 4/10V @ 0dBFS [+14dBu/+22dBu])  
 Audio RCA (2V/5V @ 0dBFS)   
 6.3mm Headphone 4V/10V maximum output   
 Headphone Output Power 4,000mW/16R max.   
Dynamic Range:TBD   
THD &N (Line)TBD   
THD &N (HP 100mW)TBD   
Output Power (16R):> 4000mW   
PowerSource:External DC 14V (compatible with 12V Battery systems)   
Power Consumption:< 15W   
Size:220mm x 62mm X 210mm (W X H X D including feet, knobs and connectors) 

Cheers.

I saw the real pieces of both Mini and Retro in a event at the AV Fair in Guangzhou, China.  I like their designs and specs as well as the materials that they use for Retro's case and speaker boxes (are made by bamboo). In particular, the sound quality of Retro (can't test the mini yet) is so sweet and powerful given that the small size. I enclose few pics of Retro I took at the AV Fair for your reference. iFi will launch Retro in Europe first, follow by the USA and Asia. I can't wait to have one 
L3000.gif

Nov 30, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #178 of 3,458
What is iFi retro? What does it do?

Nov 30, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #180 of 3,458

Users who are viewing this thread

Back