iFi Audio Nano iDSD discussion + impression
Jan 31, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #137 of 2,063
Good to hear. Though do think it's weird that UK purchasers are definitely receiving nano's around two weeks later than their American or Japanese counterparts. Larger overseas markets serviced first perchance?!? Nah, probably not according to iFi. :rolleyes:

I ordered from MCRU and it has shipped today

Jan 31, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #138 of 2,063
Good to hear. Though do think it's weird that UK purchasers are definitely receiving nano's around two weeks later than their American or Japanese counterparts. Larger overseas markets serviced first perchance?!? Nah, probably not according to iFi.
rolleyes.gif

could also be that overseas resellers put in their orders before the UK ones, so iFi is fulfilling those orders first. i know it stinks that you have to wait for your order, but it might not be completely or even partly iFi to blame.

Feb 1, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #139 of 2,063
I thought that us 'Americans' had cornered the market on being bitchy about getting our stuff when we want it, and throw a fit when we dont get it! I guess thats not true! ... I breath a little easier!

Feb 1, 2014 at 5:54 AM Post #141 of 2,063
That's the curse of audiophilia!  
wink_face.gif

Didn't mean to bitch, just frustrated reading about how good the nano is and not having my unit yet.

Quote:
  I thought that us 'Americans' had cornered the market on being bitchy about getting our stuff when we want it, and throw a fit when we dont get it! I guess thats not true! ... I breath a little easier!

Feb 1, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #145 of 2,063
Why does the IDSD not have fixed volume RCA outputs?

I do not think they are needed by most of the prospective users - as it is, it can serve as volume control/preamp, feeding the headphone/power amplifier directly.

Anyone concerned by nano's volume control integrity might simply want to turn the volume fully up to the max and then run it into "something" with volume control, if that "something" has better volume control than nano.

I am amazed how much they have been able to squeeze in so small volume box; adding an additional pair of fixed output RCAs would add to the size and clutter - both highly undesirable in a predominantely portable oriented unit.

My order has unfortunately been delayed - by my 1/4 century old and much in use oscilloscope finally giving up ghost.
I need the scope in my everyday work. Otherwise, I would have been too eagerly awaiting delivery...

Feb 1, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #147 of 2,063
If you guys are intending to use as a portable with idevices, what cables will you use? Am I missing something here?

I am very interested in this but not just to use at home....

you will need an apple lightning->usb female adapter, also known as the camera connection kit (CCK). then a usb cable to connect to the idsd.

i just got mine today and fired it up 10 minutes ago. listening to some of the DSD albums i have...i don't have a 1/4"->1/8" adapter yet so can't listen with some of my better headphones, but so far i like what i'm hearing through the momentums. using a trial copy of the JRiver Media Center...still on the fence whether i should buy JRiver or Audirvana Plus. i hate the user interface of JRiver...so un-mac-like. but it does a little more than audirvana, which is a true mac app.

i'll play with it a bit more tonight and post some thoughts. interested to see how the coax out does...will feed into the opus.

oh, and this thing is a lot smaller than i expected. i know what the dimensions say on the website, but it truly is portable.

UPDATE: been playing around with it for the last couple of hours. had a problem getting DSD playback via Jriver...and Jriver looks like crap so i decided to buy Audirvana Plus. 

Feb 2, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #148 of 2,063
Feb 2, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #149 of 2,063
Well - impressions? - comparisons, subjective observations, etc.

Since receiving it I've managed to spend a whole 25 mins of listening time. Kids birthday this weekend etc. However, that 25 mins was spent hooked up to my iPad listening to some excellent tunes (DSD, wave and flac) from the onkyo hf app. Sounds sublime. I'm going to try it out with my samsung s3 for an hour at lunchtime tomorrow. DSD ability aside, this dac is a great match with the k3003, the detail retrieval is outstanding. From these early impressions, I would say the ibasso dx100 (my main portable player) has the edge with percussion, it really is a bit special, at least with my phones. I'm looking forward to listening some more to the idsd and eating my words, maybe. It sits nicely along side my other ifi gear. Usual great packaging and accessories. Same bulletproof build quality I've come to expect from ifi. Fanstastic value for money.

Feb 2, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #150 of 2,063
Why does the IDSD not have fixed volume RCA outputs?

I haven't received my iDSD yet (still waiting patiently), but I agree that this is a design flaw and a feature the iDSD should have had.

My FiiO E17 DAC / headphone amp has this feature and it is very useful. I'm able to use the volume control on the FiiO E17 to change the volume for my headphones without changing the volume for my speaker rig. The iDSD should have been designed with an option to output a fixed volume through the RCA outputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back