iFi Audio IPurifier3.0
Sep 9, 2018 at 11:36 PM Post #31 of 442
Really confusing with all these scrubbers/usb/cleaners ....seems like a shotgun product approach.. get what you can afford. They all seem to do the exact same thing so why the need or want to get them all seems redundant.

Sep 9, 2018 at 11:40 PM Post #32 of 442
Well, I've got the iSilencer coming tomorrow. I'll report back then. I'll have the iDefender + iPower, iSilencer, iGalvanic3.0, and iPurifier3, all working together with my Micro iDSD BL. I'm telling you this rig will kill just about anything in it's price. I had the iTube2 in my headphone system but put that in my 2 channel office system--you should hear that one--OMG! iFi is an incredible company.

Oh, BTW. I plug my USB cable into my laptop with the iDefender plugged in but the iPower disconnected. Once the laptop sees the connection, I plug the iPower into the side of the iDefender and it seems to work.

P.S. I'm still using the stock blue USB cables that came with the equipment.
Yes , getting rid of ipower can help with detecting the DAC. So do u find adding isilencer to your chain helps much more?

Sep 10, 2018 at 2:21 AM Post #33 of 442
Yes , getting rid of ipower can help with detecting the DAC. So do u find adding isilencer to your chain helps much more?

No, not really. It has to be very subtle like around 1-2% or something. But I had to try.

Sep 10, 2018 at 7:27 AM Post #34 of 442
Really confusing with all these scrubbers/usb/cleaners ....seems like a shotgun product approach.. get what you can afford. They all seem to do the exact same thing so why the need or want to get them all seems redundant.

It's very simple actually. We implement our proprietary tech all across the board indeed, so in that sense it's safe to say that to a degree our USB sorters (iPurifier3.0 and nano&micro iUSB3.0) do 'exact the same thing'. But the difference between these three products is in their efficiency. iPurifier3.0 is the affordable entry level solution and as such it isn't as potent as say micro iUSB3.0.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Sep 10, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #35 of 442
It's very simple actually. We implement our proprietary tech all across the board indeed, so in that sense it's safe to say that to a degree our USB sorters (iPurifier3.0 and nano&micro iUSB3.0) do 'exact the same thing'. But the difference between these three products is in their efficiency. iPurifier3.0 is the affordable entry level solution and as such it isn't as potent as say micro iUSB3.0.
Sounds good! I didnt think I needed all that, looking to grab the iPurifier 3 to compliment my Black Label. I get Wi-Fi and some other electronic interferences that distract from the enjoyment of my listening sessions, mostly off my smartphone. The work around on the PC is to run it off battery (power on the black label before plugging it into the usb).

Sep 12, 2018 at 12:54 AM Post #37 of 442
Ok folks, my iPurifier3 has arrived in good time; Thank you Lawrance! So with no further hesitation, IMPRESSIONS!
shock-wow-GIF-downsized_large.gif
Wow-gif.gif
giphy-1.gif
giphy.gif
Bradley-Cooper-Wow.gif
e4b45668d2e46e0d8f7636555eed12de.gif

More impressions tomorrow! :metal::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2018 at 1:55 AM Post #38 of 442
Hi, is iPurifier3 suitable for use with R2R-11 dac connected with Schiit Audio PYST USB cable to Win10 PC using Asio (Amanero USB) drivers and carrying 32bit 384kHz PCM signal? And if not, what of your other interferences cleaning products might do this chain good?

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #39 of 442
I became addict of the iPurifier when it fist brought it to my first edition iFi Micro iDSD, at the time I was discovering the iFi Products, and the iPurifier was an interesting product then in price and quality.

The original changed the sound signature of my system in a positive way, giving me more information and after that I brought the original Micro iUSB, but with the micro iUSB I also purchased the iPurifier 2, and they work paired giving me a lot or more information and dynamics, better sense of dimension with the harman kardon GLA-55, the effect was present in texture, better highs and lows, better small dynamic perception.

This small changes that sometimes when reading could be interpreted as big and that your system changes completely, but they are not in the magnitude of the words, but the words used are a good guide to focus a user in the perceptible changes in an easy to better evaluate the perceived benefits , for me in the way they work are in a magnitude way bigger than the 100 euros could give.

But this review is not about the iPurifier 2, instead the new iPurifier 3.

The iPurifier 3 is a USB gadget that reclocks, regenerates and has a rebalance tech, it incorporates a active noise cancelation technology that works impressively, a revised and upgraded version of the last itineration of their iPurifier 2 I also own, as always the unbox experience of the package from iFi products is very special.

The little package comes with a lot of extras and no one will indifferent of the construction quality of the iPurifier 3, it’s a rewarding hardware tech marvel.

Ifi upgraded all the internals resulting in a little bigger piece of hardware, there are new OS-CON capacitors, a new version of the noise canceling technology named “Active Noise Cancellation2® (ANC2)” and all the internals are better quality.

What about the iPurifier 3 in sound when compared to the 2.

The iPurifier 2 was a great product and it made an very good sonic upgrade, the iPurifier 3 feels a lot more refined, it has most the benefits form the iPurifier 3, but is more transparent, musical and natural, when connected to the system it does not have a defined personality, to explain I will try to explain the effect of the iPurifier 3 and the original iUSB, it added bass and highs noticeably, and when I connected to some of my higher quality and recent components like the iFi Pro iDSD version 2 gave a small veil in the sound. Notice that the iFi Pro iDSD does not need an iPurifier 2.

Anyway I tried the iPurifier 3 in my iFi iDSD pro to see if the same issue was present, and it was not, it simply cleaned the sound without any added issue, so this was an interesting test, the product has no degradation effect on the cables.

After that, as I brought it to the micro iDSD Black Label for my son I, removing the iPurifier 2 and connecting the iPurifier 3, it does give a more realistic and neutral musical presentation, also it really cleans more as some little sound are more perceptible like if o had sharpness to little details that where there but not so audible, the high frequencies are substantial more natural and less “irritating”, the lows are also more perceptible, and example is the Album Tubular Bells 3 from Mike Oldfield, the first track in the beginning has a bass that goes from left to right and right to left and that perception with the iPurifier 3 is a lot more defined and engages you more on the music track.

Also, the sound stage has benefits, as you gain small details and separation, you also gain in density of information, focus on all the dimensions of the soundstage and a global better enjoyment of your music.

Reading all the above and buying the iPurifier 3 is a no brainer if you have a system transparent enough that could show changes in the whole, I used the iFi new Gemini 3.0 Cable and also an Audioquest Diamond, and the original version of the iFi Gemini.

As I have been upgrading my system a lot in the last year, every step comes with trades and benefits, my system has turned out to become more revealing each time, some hardware results very well other not that so. The iPurifier 3 made no degradation and gave me a more beneficial effect with the iDSD Black Label.

I have to give my regards to iFi as each itineration of their product line, has been really an upgrade from the last, the iPurifier 3 deserves a very good listen.

image.png IMG_9359.jpg IMG_9361.jpg IMG_9365.jpg IMG_9369.jpg IMG_9371.jpg IMG_9376.jpg IMG_9396.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2018 at 5:28 PM Post #40 of 442
I became addict of the iPurifier when it fist brought it to my first edition iFi Micro iDSD, at the time I was discovering the iFi Products, and the iPurifier was an interesting product then in price and quality.

The original changed the sound signature of my system in a positive way, giving me more information and after that I brought the original Micro iUSB, but with the micro iUSB I also purchased the iPurifier 2, and they work paired giving me a lot or more information and dynamics, better sense of dimension with the harman kardon GLA-55, the effect was present in texture, better highs and lows, better small dynamic perception.

This small changes that sometimes when reading could be interpreted as big and that your system changes completely, but they are not in the magnitude of the words, but the words used are a good guide to focus a user in the perceptible changes in an easy to better evaluate the perceived benefits , for me in the way they work are in a magnitude way bigger than the 100 euros could give.

But this review is not about the iPurifier 2, instead the new iPurifier 3.

The iPurifier 3 is a USB gadget that reclocks, regenerates and has a rebalance tech, it incorporates a active noise cancelation technology that works impressively, a revised and upgraded version of the last itineration of their iPurifier 2 I also own, as always the unbox experience of the package from iFi products is very special.

The little package comes with a lot of extras and no one will indifferent of the construction quality of the iPurifier 3, it’s a rewarding hardware tech marvel.

Ifi upgraded all the internals resulting in a little bigger piece of hardware, there are new OS-CON capacitors, a new version of the noise canceling technology named “Active Noise Cancellation2® (ANC2)” and all the internals are better quality.

What about the iPurifier 3 in sound when compared to the 2.

The iPurifier 2 was a great product and it made an very good sonic upgrade, the iPurifier 3 feels a lot more refined, it has most the benefits form the iPurifier 3, but is more transparent, musical and natural, when connected to the system it does not have a defined personality, to explain I will try to explain the effect of the iPurifier 3 and the original iUSB, it added bass and highs noticeably, and when I connected to some of my higher quality and recent components like the iFi Pro iDSD version 2 gave a small veil in the sound. Notice that the iFi Pro iDSD does not need an iPurifier 2.

Anyway I tried the iPurifier 3 in my iFi iDSD pro to see if the same issue was present, and it was not, it simply cleaned the sound without any added issue, so this was an interesting test, the product has no degradation effect on the cables.

After that, as I brought it to the micro iDSD Black Label for my son I, removing the iPurifier 2 and connecting the iPurifier 3, it does give a more realistic and neutral musical presentation, also it really cleans more as some little sound are more perceptible like if o had sharpness to little details that where there but not so audible, the high frequencies are substantial more natural and less “irritating”, the lows are also more perceptible, and example is the Album Tubular Bells 3 from Mike Oldfield, the first track in the beginning has a bass that goes from left to right and right to left and that perception with the iPurifier 3 is a lot more defined and engages you more on the music track.

Also, the sound stage has benefits, as you gain small details and separation, you also gain in density of information, focus on all the dimensions of the soundstage and a global better enjoyment of your music.

Reading all the above and buying the iPurifier 3 is a no brainer if you have a system transparent enough that could show changes in the whole, I used the iFi new Gemini 3.0 Cable and also an Audioquest Diamond, and the original version of the iFi Gemini.

As I have been upgrading my system a lot in the last year, every step comes with trades and benefits, my system has turned out to become more revealing each time, some hardware results very well other not that so. The iPurifier 3 made no degradation and gave me a more beneficial effect with the iDSD Black Label.

I have to give my regards to iFi as each itineration of their product line, has been really an upgrade from the last, the iPurifier 3 deserves a very good listen.

pool-ifi-audio
pool-ifi-audio
pool-ifi-audio
pool-ifi-audio
pool-ifi-audio
pool-ifi-audio

Cool! Please reupload the pics though as now we can't see a thing :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Sep 15, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #41 of 442

IF you think that the iDSD BL + iPurifier3 is great, try adding the iGalvanic3.0 to the mix. OMG! I have all 3 devices and it's a massive improvement albeit an expensive last step. BUT, improvements come at a very high cost past the iDSD BL + iPurifier3......like um....$2 Grand. The additional $379 still puts your total cost around $1107 yet can compete with DAC/AMPs of much higher value. Plus you don't need a power supply.

Sep 17, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #42 of 442
IF you think that the iDSD BL + iPurifier3 is great, try adding the iGalvanic3.0 to the mix. OMG! I have all 3 devices and it's a massive improvement albeit an expensive last step. BUT, improvements come at a very high cost past the iDSD BL + iPurifier3......like um....$2 Grand. The additional $379 still puts your total cost around $1107 yet can compete with DAC/AMPs of much higher value. Plus you don't need a power supply.

Hello, I never tested the iGalvanic, but I also have here an iUSB 3.0 and is impressive.

I always had better results combining products of the same brand, in the end the received reward if bigger than the invested price, surely they are made with each other in mind, mixing different brands is sometimes tricky and results are mixed.

What impresses-me more is that they are better and better with each generation, their support is on par with the quality of their products.

Look at the xDSD,it plays like a dream and in the moment you have one on your hand you will be amazed, I never seen a portable DAC so beautiful and made me want to have one just for the looks of it.

IMG_9229.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2018 at 11:12 PM Post #43 of 442
Look at the xDSD,it plays like a dream and in the moment you have one on your hand you will be amazed, I never seen a portable DAC so beautiful and made me want to have one just for the looks of it.

Gross understatement! It's as if the Heavens opened up and the hand of God brought down the xDSD for us mortal man to lavash over! I know it goes against several of His sins, but how could such a device of such Heavenly perfection be kept away for none to see. Thanks to iFi and their "connections", they were able to obtain a sample and reverse engineer the xDSD and mass produce the device for all to have! True story!

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Sep 18, 2018 at 12:31 AM Post #44 of 442
Nothing like having your cable go out for the weekend... sigh.. but not only did I get a new cable box and modem, which I can talk to using the remote (the future!), but basically spent all weekend listening to music, which means I got a whole lotta time in with the iPurifier3. Initial impressions be damned, I am still "wowed" by the iPurifier3!

@iFi audio, I am calling you guys out. With the iPurifier2, it did exactly what it was advertised to do, and I stand by my review 100%. On the other hand, the iPurifier3... well... it's performance... goes far beyond your claims!!! I have spend a good deal of time with high end devices such as the Soundaware Esther M1 and M1 Pro, Sony's WM1Z Walkman (my brother still has too much money), the Sennheiser HDV820 (with the iPurifier2), and of course the xDSD. I know my headphones. I know my music. I know my gear. To this date, I have never muttered nor typed the words " I am hearing things in my music I have never heard before! ", yet... I - just - did. The improvements in audio performance goes way, way beyond good engineering. Sacrificing your first born to the old Gods, I think not, and black magic is simply not strong enough to produce the given results. I would even laugh off claims that one starry night a meteor fell from the sky, landing out back of the iFi labs and the casing of the iPurifier3 is made of a yet to be named space metal! No, there is something more going on here than a small pocket dimension contained inside the iPurifier3 feeding pure cosmic energy from a new born galaxy through the bitstream. I am not sure what though. All I know is that the iPurifier3 defies logic!

Silliness aside (or was it?), the iPurifier3 is a HUGE leap over it's predecessor!

Shortlist of expected improvements:
- Blacker background
- Better RFI/EMI protection
- Better elimination of jitter
- Better construction
- Badass new colour scheme
Result = Layers of invisible grain peeled away revealing greater overall transparency

What I was not expecting:
- Greater speed! ADSR is spot on!
- Greater focus; absolutely no blurring nor colouring outside of the lines!
- Greater channel separation/ less crosstalk!
- Vast improvement in soundstage; width, depth, and height!
- Greater impact throughout the frequency range!
- Greater texture across the whole range!
- Liquidity in the frequency transition!
- Greater "air" and space without the usual boost in treble!
- Greater sub-bass rumble!
- A sense of an effortless grip of the sound!
- Micro/macro detail retrieval

I know it's been said before, but it's like the iPurifier3 supercharged my whole chain! My iCAN SE and iDAC don't sound like they used to. It's as if THEY got the upgrade and not a USB dongle! What I am hearing sounds much more than a cleansed USB signal, it's more akin to cleaning up the complete signal path from the USB out from my computer right through to the 1/4" jack on my iCAN! This includes passing though the micro iTube2! Unbelievable, and illogical, yet my ears insist it's true!

I tell you, this lil' bad-boy is going to get one heck of a (much deserved) review!

:metal::sunglasses:

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #45 of 442
Nothing like having your cable go out for the weekend... sigh.. but not only did I get a new cable box and modem, which I can talk to using the remote (the future!), but basically spent all weekend listening to music, which means I got a whole lotta time in with the iPurifier3. Initial impressions be damned, I am still "wowed" by the iPurifier3!

@iFi audio, I am calling you guys out. With the iPurifier2, it did exactly what it was advertised to do, and I stand by my review 100%. On the other hand, the iPurifier3... well... it's performance... goes far beyond your claims!!! I have spend a good deal of time with high end devices such as the Soundaware Esther M1 and M1 Pro, Sony's WM1Z Walkman (my brother still has too much money), the Sennheiser HDV820 (with the iPurifier2), and of course the xDSD. I know my headphones. I know my music. I know my gear. To this date, I have never muttered nor typed the words " I am hearing things in my music I have never heard before! ", yet... I - just - did. The improvements in audio performance goes way, way beyond good engineering. Sacrificing your first born to the old Gods, I think not, and black magic is simply not strong enough to produce the given results. I would even laugh off claims that one starry night a meteor fell from the sky, landing out back of the iFi labs and the casing of the iPurifier3 is made of a yet to be named space metal! No, there is something more going on here than a small pocket dimension contained inside the iPurifier3 feeding pure cosmic energy from a new born galaxy through the bitstream. I am not sure what though. All I know is that the iPurifier3 defies logic!

Silliness aside (or was it?), the iPurifier3 is a HUGE leap over it's predecessor!

Shortlist of expected improvements:
- Blacker background
- Better RFI/EMI protection
- Better elimination of jitter
- Better construction
- Badass new colour scheme
Result = Layers of invisible grain peeled away revealing greater overall transparency

What I was not expecting:
- Greater speed! ADSR is spot on!
- Greater focus; absolutely no blurring nor colouring outside of the lines!
- Greater channel separation/ less crosstalk!
- Vast improvement in soundstage; width, depth, and height!
- Greater impact throughout the frequency range!
- Greater texture across the whole range!
- Liquidity in the frequency transition!
- Greater "air" and space without the usual boost in treble!
- Greater sub-bass rumble!
- A sense of an effortless grip of the sound!
- Micro/macro detail retrieval

I know it's been said before, but it's like the iPurifier3 supercharged my whole chain! My iCAN SE and iDAC don't sound like they used to. It's as if THEY got the upgrade and not a USB dongle! What I am hearing sounds much more than a cleansed USB signal, it's more akin to cleaning up the complete signal path from the USB out from my computer right through to the 1/4" jack on my iCAN! This includes passing though the micro iTube2! Unbelievable, and illogical, yet my ears insist it's true!

I tell you, this lil' bad-boy is going to get one heck of a (much deserved) review!

:metal::sunglasses:
What exactly is your chain from computer/transport to the DAC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back