If you're thinking of getting impressions, you might want to act before year end.
Dec 29, 2009 at 11:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

bjaardker

1000+ Head-Fier
Just wanted to give people a heads up. If you're thinking of getting impressions made for customs, and you have extra money left in a Health Insurance "Flexible Spending Account", you might want to get them made before the end of the year. Since impressions made at an audiologist can be used for hearing protection (something I plan on using my IEMs for), they are often covered as acceptable expenses on flex-spend accounts.

I just got word from my spending account administrator that my request for reimbursement for the impressions I got was just approved.

Just a thought since so often people have money left in their FSAs at the end of the year and end up losing it.

(NOTE: This probably isn't advisable with something like an HSA since the money in those accounts is rolled over year to year)

Dec 30, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #2 of 7
Very good advice here.

Dec 30, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #3 of 7
Also something else I should have mentioned. If you've already gotten impressions done earlier in the year, and can get/have an invoice from the audiologist, you should be able to send that in for reimbursement as well.

Dec 30, 2009 at 6:15 AM Post #4 of 7
awesome suggestion! thanks so much for posting. i have way too much in my FSA right now (thought i was going to need a procedure done that i ended up not needing).

ps, did you get reimbursed just for the audiologist's impressions, or also for the sleeves themselves? maybe a stupid question.

Dec 30, 2009 at 6:28 AM Post #5 of 7
So far it's just the impressions. I'm going to be scouring the plan details when I get to work tomorrow to see if I might be able to get the molds in on it as well. If nothing else I know that earplugs are covered so I might just do that too since I can always use them for snowblowing or mowing.

Dec 31, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #6 of 7
This is exactly why we should open up HSA's to everybody and get rid of the FSA. It's just absurd that you set this money aside for future expenses and then it just disappears at the end of the year!

With Health Savings Accounts, there is a cap on how much you can contribute per year, but the balance rolls over to the next year and you can contribute more on top of that. AFAIK these are currently only available to those with high deductible insurance plans, which is a shame.

Dec 31, 2009 at 7:27 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by bjaardker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So far it's just the impressions. I'm going to be scouring the plan details when I get to work tomorrow to see if I might be able to get the molds in on it as well. If nothing else I know that earplugs are covered so I might just do that too since I can always use them for snowblowing or mowing.

Thanks again. I could also use custom earplugs at live shows, now that I've hit middle age.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back