If young people have the best hearing, and men lose theirs faster than women, why are audiophiles mostly old blokes?
Nov 23, 2014 at 2:19 AM Post #62 of 70
  Just equalize and make it perfect. The HD-800s are capable of sounding just about any way you want them to sound.

Maybe you should make an EQ guide on Sound Science subsection. 
biggrin.gif

Nov 23, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #64 of 70
What EQ did you apply to HD800 to "perfect" it?

Pretty sure he didn't apply anything, I don't know if he has an HD800.

But, logically, what he would do is listen to and/or measure sine wave sweeps and find what frequencies are louder than others, then EQ those down. And, to make things easier, he could supplement that with comparisons between his ideal compensation curve (be it Harman or diffuse or whatever) and graphs of the HD800's frequency response to find specific problem areas.

Or, taking a subjective approach, he could just do whatever he likes the most. Depends on what you mean by "perfect".

Nov 30, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #65 of 70
As I just turned 19 in August, having now joined the senior club, I too, wonder why us old white rich landowners control the headphone market by hoarding all the aural ammunition from the-

And I'll stop there. I'm gonna guess that old men have more money to spend on things like cars, computers, headphones, and other electronic or mechanical stuff. All men have to talk about is sports in their later years, so they have to fill the gap. :p
I really have no idea why this is, but if I had passed psychology I might know a little more.

Nov 30, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #66 of 70
You kids get all the pretty young girls... you have to let us have *something*!

Nov 30, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #67 of 70
I wonder how much of it is competitive nature, men or women. We can argue forever about tiny differences when maybe we should be listening to more music. :)

Yes, age and disposable income does have a strong positive correlation.

Higher frequencies drop with age, typically, but that doesn't mean we don't like to listen to music anymore!

On the other hand, I think a lot of younger people are in danger of damaging their hearing, with earbuds turned up too high. Seeing a lot of it, but I haven't seen any studies about current young people or changes over time.

Dec 2, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #68 of 70
  I wonder how much of it is competitive nature, men or women. We can argue forever about tiny differences when maybe we should be listening to more music. :)

Yes, age and disposable income does have a strong positive correlation.

Higher frequencies drop with age, typically, but that doesn't mean we don't like to listen to music anymore!

On the other hand, I think a lot of younger people are in danger of damaging their hearing, with earbuds turned up too high. Seeing a lot of it, but I haven't seen any studies about current young people or changes over time.

Speaking of which, I'd rather purchase music lists than headphones. By music lists, I mean a list of tracks I know I will enjoy (actual files not included). Imagine meeting future version of you and getting a list of all the tracks you will love!

Dec 3, 2014 at 7:22 AM Post #69 of 70
Let us not forget that "old blokes" actually have the vast storehouse of knowledge that "young blokes" only think they have, lol. As is the case with hearing loss, knowledge accelerates with age.
Of course, if you are young you will not believe this. However, you will as you grow older. 

When you're young, you think you know everything and can remember enough to
bore everyone to tears trying to prove it.

When you're older and actually DO know everything, you just can't remember any of it.

- John Everest

Users who are viewing this thread

Back