If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Nov 20, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #3,256 of 19,256
It's big to be big.  Two SMD resistors don't take up any room :wink:  Ie the P2S cable is smaller and it is mostly empty hole for the main cable.

Nov 20, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #3,257 of 19,256
It's big to be big.  Two SMD resistors don't take up any room :wink:  Ie the P2S cable is smaller and it is mostly empty hole for the main cable.

True. But are they more expensive? Maybe there's another reason to use the larger ones? I have no idea. :p

Nov 21, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #3,259 of 19,256
I just tried it on the Crack for the first time. I like it! Surprisingly good- very smooth. Will have to spend more time exploring this combo.

Very nice! I do believe that the ER4-S can improve when combining it with a decent, high quality amp, whatever this may be. Apparently the Crack is one of them which doesn't surprise me too much..

Nov 22, 2013 at 1:03 AM Post #3,260 of 19,256
has anyone ever opened the y-split on one of these? or more specifically on a P version?

the reason I ask is, I bought my er4p second hand. When i got it, the plug was shorting out. When I went to replace the jack, the cable has 4 wires:

1. Red
2. Black
3. White
4. shield

so the question is, why 4 wires?

Let me get to the point. does/could the P cable have the 75ohm resistors inside the y-split and simply not connected to the jack?

More info: when I reterminated to the new jack, I found out the white wire was not connected to anything on the original/stock jack.

what do you guys think? 

...is this a conspiracy from "the man" to keep us in check?
tongue.gif

Nov 22, 2013 at 4:04 AM Post #3,263 of 19,256
I think someone did open the y-split before - I found this searching this thread:

I'm not good with electronics/engineering so I can't really tell what's inside though.

That looks like two surface mount resistors; one for each channel. That makes sense. The er4p still has resistors, they're just 25ohms insead of 100ohms. This gives them more volume at the cost of damping amount for treble accuracy. The adapter adds the missing 75ohms to make the er4p 100ohms like the er4s. Not sure about the white wire. Does the jack have a tip/ring/sleeve or tip/ring and two sleeve parts?

Nov 22, 2013 at 4:50 AM Post #3,264 of 19,256
I think someone did open the y-split before - I found this searching this thread:

I'm not good with electronics/engineering so I can't really tell what's inside though.

nice work! thanks for finding this.
That looks like two surface mount resistors; one for each channel. That makes sense. The er4p still has resistors, they're just 25ohms insead of 100ohms. This gives them more volume at the cost of damping amount for treble accuracy. The adapter adds the missing 75ohms to make the er4p 100ohms like the er4s. Not sure about the white wire. Does the jack have a tip/ring/sleeve or tip/ring and two sleeve parts?

I'm afraid the original jack is no longer with us. (R.I.P.)
tongue.gif

As far as the Er4P having 25ohm resistors, then that pretty much solves the mystery/intrigue I had about this.

The white wire is and will remain a mystery for some time to come, much like extraterrestrials, the Bermuda Triangle and how the hell the kardashians got to be famous! 

Nov 22, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #3,265 of 19,256

nice work! thanks for finding this.

I'm afraid the original jack is no longer with us. (R.I.P.):p

As far as the Er4P having 25ohm resistors, then that pretty much solves the mystery/intrigue I had about this.

The white wire is and will remain a mystery for some time to come, much like extraterrestrials, the Bermuda Triangle and how the hell the kardashians got to be famous! 

If it's not the original jack, how do you know the white wire was there originally? It sounds to me like an ompt/ctia plug for something with a mic was used to replace the original perhaps? In that case there would be an extra unused wire...
E

To understand the kardashians, think of beats by dr. Dre.

Nov 22, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #3,268 of 19,256
Finally got a good fit and position for the ER-4 and they are bloody awesome.  Funny as it sounds they take getting used to because of how fast yet butter smooth they are.  I'm a bit of a basshead, little bit, so tend to prefer the P over the S so far for that extra weight and warmth.  For the price these sell new or less if you use the code, absolute win.  If you can find the right fit you really need to be looking at top tier customs or open headphones to dethrone the ER-4 on performance and at that range... value is out the window.  I'm impressed.  For what it's worth... I'm using no EQ and am using the rig in my sig for the comparison to my UM3X and LCD-3.  The UM3X is terrible in comparison.  Ugh worthy :wink:

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #3,269 of 19,256
If it's not the original jack, how do you know the white wire was there originally? It sounds to me like an ompt/ctia plug for something with a mic was used to replace the original perhaps? In that case there would be an extra unused wire...
E

I received the er4p in it's original form, I myself replaced the jack because it was shorting out.
When i first received them, i posted on this thread asking for help/advice on replacing the jack to the er4p. Here's something ClieOS found somewhere and posted(which is very similar to my situation at the time).

touché

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #3,270 of 19,256

E

I received the er4p in it's original form, I myself replaced the jack because it was shorting out.
When i first received them, i posted on this thread asking for help/advice on replacing the jack to the er4p. [COLOR=0000FF]Here's something[/COLOR] ClieOS found somewhere and posted(which is very similar to my situation at the time).

[COLOR=222222]touché[/COLOR]

Ah. Gotcha. Perhaps the white cable is what provides the voodoo magic that makes the er4s sound so good...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back