If you had to buy an AMP/DAC right now for $200, what would you get?
Sep 26, 2016 at 5:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Friendly

Head-Fier
that's $200CDN. at this moment I'm looking at the Micca Origen+, but I am open to recommendations.

whatever I get will be working with the following:
- Stax 2170's, which already have an amp.
- HE-350's
- HE-00's
- B&O S8, which have a built in amp

I also have grandiose scheme's to get higher end dynamc and magnetic planar phones as well. something like the Sen HD 600, 650 or 700. on the planar side of things, there are so many options now I'm at a loss...  :p 

I primarily listen to classical and a lot of ambient electronica.

your thoughts and recommendations are appreciated!

Sep 27, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #2 of 13
no recommendations?  
confused.gif

Sep 27, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #4 of 13
Just off the top of my head I'd check out Schiit's product line. You can buy cheaper versions of their products and I believe upgrade them when you have the money.

Sep 28, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #7 of 13
it doesn't have to be a combo unit, but makes it more convenient. however, I'm open to suggestions. I do understand the benefit of going with each item individually.

thanks! :)

no love for the Origen+? how come? 
redface.gif

edit - after a quick roving about on the interweb's, I see that the modi2 and magni2 stack would be beneficial.

can anyone advise the advantage of buying multi-bit? with my Stax, I can/will listen to hi-res audio. currently though, Spotify Premium nothced to max quality...so 320kbps, I believe. 

Sep 28, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #8 of 13
  it doesn't have to be a combo unit, but makes it more convenient.

Okay. The Schiit stack (which at your budget would be the basic Magni 2 and Modi 2) is a good value.

I had the Magni 2 Uber and Modi 2. With some headphones, it was an improvement over driving headphones from the headphone outputs of my Alienware M11x R2 laptop, and with some other headphones, I did not hear a difference. Naturally, it was more essential for ones that are harder to drive.

can anyone advise the advantage of buying multi-bit? with my Stax, I can/will listen to hi-res audio. currently though, Spotify Premium nothced to max quality...so 320kbps, I believe. 

Chck out the main thread for impressions of the Modi Multibit. (Since it's $249, it's out of your budget, though.)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/815368/happy-as-a-pig-in-schiit-introducing-modi-multibit

I'm a fellow STAX lover. Feel free to join us:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/676272/the-entry-level-stax-thread

Sep 29, 2016 at 8:06 AM Post #10 of 13
$249 for the Aune X1S DSD capable DAC and Headphone amp combo

Sep 29, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #11 of 13
if I was to consider something like the Audioquest Df Red, I would also look at the Meridian Explorer2.

however, I will admit, I am seriously considering a Schiit stack of the Modi2 Uber and Magni2 Uber.  :) 

Sep 30, 2016 at 2:34 AM Post #12 of 13
I have a few dac-amp that I got under $200 : ibasso d14, alo island, LH GO450, stoner acoustics ud125. they are sound good, but I don't have planar headphone to judge their power ability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back