If you ever get a chance to get a Joe Grado SR-200...
Apr 12, 2003 at 6:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

HappymaN

500+ Head-Fier
...make sure you get it like your life depended on it. I'm one of the lucky few to have a pair that are in excellent condition.

I've been listening to my pair for about 1 month now, and I'm loving it. Initially, I wasn't sure about the upfront presentation (being a former HD600 user), but now I'm really liking it.

The midrange is absolutely amazing in its honesty, and naturalness. The midrange has real presence. Norah Jones sound superb.

They are probably ever so slightly rolled off in the bottom end, but for the type of music I listen to, I never hear it. The impact is great. Drums have a great snap to them.

The highs are smooth, and grain free - never shriekingly bright. Cymbals are intially sharp, and decay realistically.

Any dislikes?

Well to be honest, I don't think they have great resolving power. I can't be sure though, because the only thing I have to compare it to at the moment are the ER-4S - and we all know how well they resolve. BTW, I use a Corda Blue.

Anyway, the SR-200's get a thumbs up from HappymaN.

Thanks for reading.

Apr 12, 2003 at 7:28 AM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by HappymaN
...make sure you get it like your life depended on it. I'm one of the lucky few to have a pair that are in excellent condition.

Hmm.. I can't wait until I get mine next week.
biggrin.gif
I love new toys...
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 12, 2003 at 9:13 AM Post #3 of 8
vwap, did you get flats or bowels?

If you get bowels (like me), I've found that they sound better reversed, and when you place the headphones slightly forwards.

Good luck.

Apr 12, 2003 at 2:51 PM Post #4 of 8
The SR-200 needs to be played fairly frequently, IME to maintain performance. The set I had, when received, sounded a bit harsh. This was probably due to some stiffening effect in the driver, as it had been sitting for awhile. Using the headphone smoothed it out, and the real magic came through. It wasn't until I let it sit for some weeks that I heard any harshness again. This isn't limited to the SR-200, as I've heard the same thing with the HP-1. They do need warmup.

Apr 12, 2003 at 4:14 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by HappymaN
vwap, did you get flats or bowels?

If you get bowels (like me), I've found that they sound better reversed, and when you place the headphones slightly forwards.

Good luck.

I got flats. And I'd never use bowls.
smily_headphones1.gif
I tried them with my HP-2's, and they sound horrendous. I echo Zanth's findings of the bowls on the HP-1000. They seem to work well on my SR-60's, though..

Sennheiser Yellow's for life!... unless I can get flats.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 12, 2003 at 8:26 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
The SR-200 needs to be played fairly frequently, IME to maintain performance. The set I had, when received, sounded a bit harsh. This was probably due to some stiffening effect in the driver, as it had been sitting for awhile. Using the headphone smoothed it out, and the real magic came through. It wasn't until I let it sit for some weeks that I heard any harshness again. This isn't limited to the SR-200, as I've heard the same thing with the HP-1. They do need warmup.

hmmm, lol, i remember when i purchased your set i did find them very bright. Unfortunately this turned me off and i kinda avoided listening to them for extended periods of time, i wound up selling them off and held onto the SR100's which i found to never have that harshness that the 200's exhibited. Thanks for the pointer though.
wink.gif

Apr 13, 2003 at 1:31 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch

biggrin.gif
I just ran off to burn-in my SR-200's - I'll leave them running for a few days, and see if I hear anything different.

Apr 13, 2003 at 1:57 AM Post #8 of 8
I'm very suprised at how different they sound when compared to there counterpart. Especially the top end, where it's alot more tamed and "controlled". I really do enjoy my SR-300, just as much as my HD600.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back