If today you had to pick an SP for the RS-1: MPX3 or Extreme?
Apr 4, 2007 at 2:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jjhatfield

Frank
Simple question: if today, you had to pick an amp from Singlepower, specifically for use in driving RS-1s, would you opt for an MPX3 variant or an Extreme variant? And with what tubes?

Apr 6, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #2 of 6
^^ bump ^^

good question
icon10.gif

Apr 6, 2007 at 7:52 PM Post #3 of 6
I have three MPX3's and the stock Extreme with the 14 amp transformer upgrade. I would go with the Extreme. The MS2i is flat out amazing with the Extreme. The Extreme is so flexible too .... I have had exceptional results with the AKG K1000, K701 and all the Sennheisers .... 580/595/600. For a MPX3 I dont think you will get the same kind of synergy unless you go with the SLAM SE.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 6, 2007 at 8:23 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have three MPX3's and the stock Extreme with the 14 amp transformer upgrade. I would go with the Extreme. The MS2i is flat out amazing with the Extreme. The Extreme is so flexible too .... I have had exceptional results with the AKG K1000, K701 and all the Sennheisers .... 580/595/600. For a MPX3 I dont think you will get the same kind of synergy unless you go with the SLAM SE.
smily_headphones1.gif

Cool, thanks for your impressions Earl, and thanks for the bump luvdunhill. I thought this thread was already headed to the forgotten thread graveyard.

You should pickup or borrow an RS-1 and give us your impressions with the Extreme.
evil_smiley.gif
nikongod seems real thrilled with the extreme and his HP-2, IIRC.

Apr 6, 2007 at 8:24 PM Post #5 of 6
the extreme. everyone with a brain knows bigger t00bz = better sound!
biggrin.gif

ok, on a serious note, what are the main differences in the mpx3 slam and mpx3 slam se? iirc it uses the same family of tubes... is the power supply upgraded stock?

Apr 6, 2007 at 8:48 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok, on a serious note, what are the main differences in the mpx3 slam and mpx3 slam se? iirc it uses the same family of tubes... is the power supply upgraded stock?

Referencing glod's excellent thread:

Quote:

The standard MPX3 SLAM SE includes both a method of adjustment for the plate voltage and the current biasing of the output tubes to get optimal driving conditions with tubes like 5687, 6SN7, 6BL7GT, 6BX7GT et cetera. The voltage is controlled by a switch. The bias is adjusted automatically in the circuit depending on the tube in place. A bias switch is optional. The gain socket is rebiased for higher current delivery than a standard MPX3. The MPX3 SLAM SE package includes a Supra transformer with some Supra power filtration features, stepped attentuator, some circuit adjustments, SLAM adaptors and Black Gate cathode capacitors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back