If not planning to mod, any reason to get Fostex T40RP or T20RP over the T50RPv2?
Aug 23, 2010 at 1:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

cam94z28

100+ Head-Fier
I would like to experience the ortho sound, but would not be planning to mod the T50RP, are the lower two models respectable in their own right? They are slightly cheaper. Do they have the same stock midrange hump and require the same modding?

Aug 23, 2010 at 1:56 PM Post #2 of 16
I would go for it. I have the T50 RP not V2 I believe.Enjoyed it very much in stock form even though the LCD-2 is a total other ballpark.

Aug 23, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #3 of 16
The 50RP (including v2) has been said here to have a large midrange hump, that can be overcome with light modification. If the T20RP, or T40RP's don't suffer from this, even if they don't have quite the frequency response, they might be a better consideration for me.

Aug 24, 2010 at 2:40 AM Post #4 of 16
The 40 and 50 should be mostly the same, except the 40 is closed while the 50 is semi open.

Aug 24, 2010 at 3:09 AM Post #5 of 16
Seeing that the thunderpants mod makes the open 50RP, closed (ported), would it be safe to assume, then, that, all things equal the 40RP should have better bass response? There is only about $10 difference between the two, and I have a $30 credit at music123. Just want to make sure I'm getting the best bang-for-buck.

Aug 25, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #6 of 16
IMO, you still need some mod even not much for new fostex headphones especially when you get a desktop amp. This is what i feel with my t50rpn and when i ask my friend how t20rp mk II stock sounds like.

Aug 25, 2010 at 12:50 AM Post #7 of 16
If that's the case, and I can convince myself I'm capable of doing the damping mod, I might as well get the 50rp.

Aug 25, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #8 of 16
The drivers are not the same. I have not personally tested this theory but I am told that the T50rpmkII is the better of the current models available. I would go with the T50rp even if you do not want to mod, and if you decide to sell on, it will be the only one people will be interested in buying.

The other option of course is a true vintage ortho from the FS section which has already been modded. They do come up periodically and I have seen some go very cheap ..dB

Aug 25, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #9 of 16
I'd be more worried buying a used ortho in case something happened to the driver. These are fairly old models, and I wouldn't have a clue what to do if they failed. The ortho thread on this board is the one that got me interested though. I had actually seen the RP series before but never looked close enough to notice they were planar. The idea of owning a shiny new model appeals to me a bit more.

Mar 28, 2011 at 4:06 AM Post #10 of 16
modding really does not require anything more than plasticine (modeling clay) and some tiny philips head screwdrivers, and maybe some felt, and maybe some paxmate, and maybe some sa5000 pads, and maybe some unicorn toejam (excellent damping properties) 
biggrin.gif

May 28, 2011 at 2:39 AM Post #11 of 16
The 40 and 50 drivers are not identical. Their tech specs are different and the housing of the 50 is black, the 40 and 20 are white and less cleanly made. I can't say for certain what the actual detailed differences are with the drivers but they don't look or sound the same. I tried modding a couple of T40RPs and they were never as good as the 50. The 50 is simply a better driver. I didn't spend much time comparing the stock phones because in my case it really doesn't matter as I almost immediately take them apart. The T40 drivers are in pieces somewhere, I got curious :wink:

Sep 7, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #14 of 16
The 20s, 40s, and 50s now all have the same driver.

"The new Fostex T20RPmkII and T40RPmkII now join the acclaimed T50RP in offering the true and accurate headphone monitoring crucial for recording studios, post houses, remote broadcast facilities, project studios and DJ’...
...This technology has been enhanced still further in a new RP Diaphragm (now standard across the range), which uses copper foil etched polyimide film to provide excellent resistance to high level input peaks of up to 3000mW (T50RP), ensuring an accurate sound regardless of the volume."​

http://www.head-fi.org/t/452404/just-listened-to-some-fostex-t50rps-today-wow/2010#post_7663670

Sep 7, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #15 of 16

Quote:
The 20s, 40s, and 50s now all have the same driver.

"The new Fostex T20RPmkII and T40RPmkII now join the acclaimed T50RP in offering the true and accurate headphone monitoring crucial for recording studios, post houses, remote broadcast facilities, project studios and DJ’...
...This technology has been enhanced still further in a new RP Diaphragm (now standard across the range), which uses copper foil etched polyimide film to provide excellent resistance to high level input peaks of up to 3000mW (T50RP), ensuring an accurate sound regardless of the volume."

http://www.head-fi.org/t/452404/just-listened-to-some-fostex-t50rps-today-wow/2010#post_7663670

I believe the findings were that the diaphragm might be the same but the magnets aren't(uncertain about ths).  Visually the drivers look almost exactly the same. Also smeggy was talking about the mkII when he claimed that the drivers were different. Early versions of t20 and t40 have vastly different drivers. It is still uncertain if the current batch have t50 drivers, even thought they have the same part numbers, but if you buy old stock it is certain that you'll get a different driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back