If I'm going to spend 300-400
Oct 8, 2008 at 7:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

jt4266

New Head-Fier
to improve my laptop integrated audio what would be an optimal setup. I'm a total noob when it comes to DACs, amps and the like. The 400 should include some speakers. Is this budget possible? I know I'm not going to get great sound but just looking for good sound for my buck.

Oct 8, 2008 at 11:06 PM Post #2 of 4
While what you want to do is very doable, but with that $400 encompassing every component of your audio system, quality will be hard to come by. All I can tell you is save your money. Your best bet is to buy a good budget USB DAC, like the Fubar II. You can find em used for $100 or less. As far as speakers and an amp go, Id search the local pawn shops, GoodWill, and Salvation Army stores. Garage sales are always good to look browse too. A vintage Marantz, Pioneer, Sherwood, Sansui, or Fisher should fit the bill nicely. Chances are, you can score one for $50 or less. I picked up a Kenwood KR9400 for $15, works perfect, and the headphone amp was significantly better than what I had before. Look for something made in the 60s or 70s...possibly early 80s. Vintage speakers are always great for the money too.

Oct 9, 2008 at 2:16 AM Post #4 of 4
I've asked a somewhat similar question elsewhere. Much of this depends on which laptop/OS (Macs will have optical out, make sure Vista drivers are solid if using that, etc.) Also I don't know if you're requesting a headphone setup too? On the DAC and speaker front you can do everything from suggested Goodwill to watch Audiogon and eBay for vintage equipment. Two approaches I contemplated (both eliminating a separate amp) ...

A) NuForce Icon DAC/amp ($250) and vintage speakers
B) vintage DAC and Audioengine A2 active monitors ($200)

For my solution I'm leaning towards the latter (nearly all my DACs are vintage), but both should get you near your budget. I don't know the current status of E-mu Vista drivers (don't use Windows), but if you want to keep it new...

C) E-mu 0404 USB ($200) and Audioengine A2s ($200)

... should get you a very nice sounding system (said by someone who's never heard the A2s, so ask around. Stereophile though was impressed).
wink.gif

Finally, another all new option would be ...

D) M-Audio USB Transit or similar cheap DAC ($100) and the Swan M200 MKIII active speakers ($300)

... but I'd probably find that distribution much too weighted away from your source, so would likely consider the other options first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back