If HD-600's are no longer the king, who is the new ruler?
Jan 16, 2003 at 12:47 AM Post #16 of 58
As a matter of fact, yes, I have heard the W100s. I had mixed feelings about them. My complaint lies with the fact that it appears as if AT is not taking the time to refine their cans, but are instead rushing new ones to market to make more money(I'm not sure if thats the real case).

I've noticed that for the most part, with a few exceptions(590s, 570s), Sennheiser takes it slow.

Jan 16, 2003 at 12:52 AM Post #18 of 58
Quote:

My complaint lies with the fact that it appears as if AT is not taking the time to refine their cans, but are instead rushing new ones to market to make more money(I'm not sure if thats the real case).

I see your complaint, but you have no basis for making it. Until you hear an A/W1000 to compare to the W100, you can't possibly accuse AT of not refining their headphones.

Sennheiser does seem to take things slow, but I'm not sure one can argue that slower is better considering how much a lot of you guys criticize their newer products.

Does bangraman mean that you heard the W1000? If so, I would be interested in hearing your mixed feelings about them (though hearing only one of their headphones still doesn't allow you to accuse them of not refining their line IMO).

Jan 16, 2003 at 1:15 AM Post #19 of 58
This constant back and forth over the current flavour of the month is really becoming tiresome. It has nothing to do with what the best product on the market is, it's all about sheep mentality.

Jan 16, 2003 at 1:27 AM Post #21 of 58
Radrd, what I meant (to andrezepw) was the W1000's should be listened to for him to comment... Listening to one phone doesn't preclude knowledge of another even if it's an update.

Some of you are beginning to sound like Luddites... Or you really have said good-bye to your wallets
biggrin.gif

Jan 16, 2003 at 1:40 AM Post #22 of 58
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
That's more or less how I feel. I'm getting tired of Audio Technica's release schedule. W2002, W100, 100Ti, A1000, W1000. Why not take the time to refine their headphone, then sell it? Oh wait, they wouldn't make as much money that way. . .

That is just about the silliest thing I've ever read. I personally think it's great that a company is releasing new and improved products on a regular basis.

You critisize Audio Technica based on your experience with one headphone that you personally didn't think was "refined". I've read plenty that says otherwise, but that's not the point. Most users put it in the same league as the HD580/600's and now by all accounts the new line is even better. It seems to me that the HD600 is a little less than refined when most people agree it needs a replacement cord to sound it's best. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the HD600's I'm just trying to put your comments into perspective.

Jan 16, 2003 at 2:00 AM Post #23 of 58
The Sennheisers Monarchy is over !!!

Jan 16, 2003 at 2:08 AM Post #24 of 58
Quote:

That is just about the silliest thing I've ever read. I personally think it's great that a company is releasing new and improved products on a regular basis.

I'm not saying a company shouldn't innovate. True, I haven't heard the newer AT headphones. I'm not commenting on the sound of the newer ones, I'm just stating that releasing a "headphone of the year" seems a bit odd to me.

Jan 16, 2003 at 2:19 AM Post #25 of 58
Sorry to be a pain guys, but could someone define for me the AT stiuation, what the different product numbers mean in relation to each other and a site that sells them.

Does anyone have any comments about how Little amp, LINN CD, PLUS HD 600 STOCK CABLE would sound?

So the top three (in production) are in no order

Sony CD-3000
AT (not sure which model)
HD 600

Jan 16, 2003 at 2:25 AM Post #26 of 58
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
I'm not saying a company shouldn't innovate. True, I haven't heard the newer AT headphones. I'm not commenting on the sound of the newer ones, I'm just stating that releasing a "headphone of the year" seems a bit odd to me.

Why does that seem odd? Most audio manufacturers are releasing new products on a regular basis. Why should this be any different for headphones? It doesn't make the older products any less relevant it just means they are trying to be innovative and move forward.

One also must remember that these AT headphones are only released in Asia. From what I've experienced the Asian audio market is very much driven by "flavours of the month". With this in mind I would expect AT to be releasing new products to this market on a regular basis in order to remain competitive. You have to give them credit for not just pumping out new products with no regard, but actually improving on the older ones.

Jan 16, 2003 at 3:01 AM Post #27 of 58
Quote:

Originally posted by Jon7

So the top three (in production) are in no order

Sony CD-3000
AT (not sure which model)
HD 600

The Grado RS-1 is still in production, and a serious contender, as is the AKG K-1000.

The Audio Technica models not normally sold in the US can be bought at www.audiocubes.com. The models and their changes are happening much too fast for me to keep up with
tongue.gif

Jan 16, 2003 at 3:47 AM Post #28 of 58
Quote:

Originally posted by daffa
What is sheep mentality?

Hi Daffa
smily_headphones1.gif
sheep mentality is basically saying that people are like sheep, when they see a lot of other sheep running somewhere (ie. people buying and liking one headphone) they will also follow and do the same (ie. buy and like that headphone) ie. just "following the crowd" - well something like that
tongue.gif

Jan 16, 2003 at 4:15 AM Post #29 of 58
I'm generally a Grado man, but frankly, I think most seasoned Head-fiers are past the notions of 'the best' or 'flava of the month' headphones. There're just too many variables that make it near impossible to say which is the 'best' headphone.

From what Ive seen on the boards, the 'best' headphone changes identity as quickly as AT comes up with new model headphones.

It's quite a dizzying affair; thank god for Head-fiers who can keep their head.

Jan 16, 2003 at 4:28 AM Post #30 of 58
Quote:

Also, will a 10 year old Linn CD player (Kairn) and Linn amp and Little amp from headroom be good enough to drive the Sens to good quality, or should I think of upgrading some component?

Yes, this is a very nice system, so you should be fine.
What cables do you have?

As far as what is the King of headphones? That would be the R10 since it's the official sony name
rolleyes.gif
, but besides that such talk is not to be taken so seriously. I have heard a lot of mediocre and down right bad headphones that people loved and a lot of very good to great headphones that people have hated
redface.gif

Also, many times you will have a lot of sheepish people say bad things about certain headphones that they never even heard, and also say good things about headphones they never heard, all according to the current head-fi trend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back