IEM's with native over the ear cable design
Oct 9, 2009 at 1:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

timmyGCSE

500+ Head-Fier
so after just having sold my JVC FX500's, I'm looking for a new pair but the cable must go over the ear natively..this is because the only pair of IEM's I've owned that fitted perfectly were my Shure e2c's, other IEM's I have to wear with the cable over ear but don't fit properly because they aren't designed that way and they hurt my ears. This has been the reason for selling my last 2 pairs of IEM's, FX500 and RE0
budget is £80 shipped maybe £85.

My choices thus far are:
- Shure se210
- Klipsch Custom 2
- Meelectronics M6
- Westone UM1

musically I like hiphop, rnb, rock, acoustic, drum and bass and techno. I used to think I was a basshead but then I bought some grados and I have come to appreciate detailed lush mids, instrument seperation and toning the bass down. I like a bit of detail, good mids and bass not non-existant but 'integrated'

my first thoughts is to lean towards the custom 2's. I know I must stay away from the se210's but my previous good experience with shure's is hard to ignore.

can I ask for advice on thoughts of the above and any more with the same design?

p.s.> these are a retainer/secondary IEM till I get around to selling my TV and getting some se530's.

Oct 9, 2009 at 2:02 PM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by derek8555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe you can consider Westone 1's instead of the UM1s. There is a thread with reviews in the forum if you do a little search.

too expensive, and not available in the UK. One ebay seller in the UK has them and will offer me them for £87 but I will have to go and collect which from the middle of london to woolwich is missions and will cost me another tenner in travel.

Oct 9, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #4 of 17
wait....soundmagic plc50's???
super.fi 3's aswell?

Oct 9, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #5 of 17
right sorry to bump this thread again but its down to teh Custom 2's or the Super.fi 3's.
The 3s look very nice and that, aware there is some bass deficiency but I have goldrings for that lol

Oct 9, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #6 of 17
signature updated...
lol!

Oct 9, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #10 of 17
I think the SE210 is a good step below the rest on that list. I haven't heard those Klipsch's or the Westone, but (depending on how much they cost you shipped to the UK) I really don't think the M6 (with the new cable) can disappoint.

Oct 9, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #11 of 17
Trying the M6 over here now...I also have a strong preference for over the ear styling. For $39 shipped why on earth not.

Oct 11, 2009 at 10:06 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by kb1gra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Trying the M6 over here now...I also have a strong preference for over the ear styling. For $39 shipped why on earth not.

Because shipped to the uk they will work out at about £50/$90 including delivery and taxes etc. Plus meelectronics don't ship to the uk so I have to get them from overstock.com which only holds the old style not the clear ones
frown.gif

But anyways thankyou for the advice I ordered the ultimate ears super.fi 3's, which will be here Tuesday, £57 delivered from advancedmp3players using fedex
biggrin.gif
no royal mail delays.
If you order from there use head10 as a voucher code btw for 10% off.
I will see how they go, but I've taken the big decision to move back in with the folks so will have more cash so that's a pair of acs t2's and maybe some m6's in the next couple of weeks

Oct 11, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #13 of 17
For anyone else interested in the Meelecs in the UK an elsewhere:

You don't have to get them from Overstock. Meelectronics will ship anywhere in the world - just email them directly for a shipping quote. Their charges are very reasonable, too.

Oct 13, 2009 at 11:45 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For anyone else interested in the Meelecs in the UK an elsewhere:

You don't have to get them from Overstock. Meelectronics will ship anywhere in the world - just email them directly for a shipping quote. Their charges are very reasonable, too.

oo thanks alot for this. I'll probably get some beginning of november.

Anyway I just got my UE superfi.3's, and had a quick 10 minute listening session (at work so proper listening will have to occur later). But my initial impressions:
fit, comfort and isolation were the main things I was looking for. I am to understand the UE's IEM's are not for everyones ears but let me tell you..these little gems are perfect for me. I didn't change the tips, I just wrapped the cord round my ears popped them in and huzzah..perfect seal. This is exactly what I've been looking for, the nozzle doesn't go too far into the ear yet isolation is outstanding..with the victors I would have to get a deep insertion for any kind of seal and even then isolation was poor and my Sansa would have to be turned right up. With these half volume on my Sansa and I can't hear anything, with the Sansa off I can barely hear my boss talking next to me. I was actually going off IEMs a bit because of the fit issues I've been having but UE have completely restored my faith.

Now I read these phones don't have too much bass..poppycock. They have plenty, perhaps the quantity on bassier tracks could be better but the punch and tightness is unreal..I felt that punch in my head, I am very pleased with the bass..and I'm coming from FX500's

this is my first outing into BA drivers and I'm liking it alot, the detail is wonderful, the SF3's have nice mids, perhaps I little bit forwards and in your face especially on vocals, highs are crisp and not harsh.

I would say the soundstage is narrow though. Its not absymal but there is a definate difference between these and the FX500's and the Goldrings, both of which have a respectable soundstage. Seperation is great but the soundstage is lacking. I use 'Sadeness' by Enigma to test soundstage since there is a glittery-sparkly sound (listen to the song ok!!) that circles your head throughout the track..with the FX500's this feels as wide as you like, the Goldrings a bit tighter but still nice but with the SF3's..it umm..actually doesn't circle at all, it kinda just wavered somewhere behind my head.

Anyway..that aside, I am absolutley thrilled with my purchase, for £57 delivered it seems like a bloody bargain and I made exactly the right choice (for once). I can't wait to hear the TF10's.

edit: these initially seem a very good choice for rock music

Oct 13, 2009 at 1:49 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by timmyGCSE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
too expensive, and not available in the UK. One ebay seller in the UK has them and will offer me them for £87 but I will have to go and collect which from the middle of london to woolwich is missions and will cost me another tenner in travel.

hey the bonus point to this is he can deal with you away from ebays rules meaning you can pay him by cash on collection and test them before you hand over the cash provided they are not sealed... are they??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back