IEMs' silicone tips - difference in the opening of the tips
Nov 3, 2010 at 8:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

kova4a

Headphoneus Supremus
So, I was wondering what difference does the opening of the tip make? There are silicone tips with a pretty small opening and some with a much wider one. Does that change the way the iems sound? I read that people who, for instance, cut there tri-flanges into bi-flanges got brighter sound - is that relevant to the opening of the single silicone tips or is there another explanation for the difference in width? 

Nov 3, 2010 at 8:30 AM Post #2 of 5
Hi kova,

As I understand it, there are a few factors that seem to influence the way a particular tips sound - besides whether or not you get a good seal with them. One is the width of the aperture - generally given the same tip material, the wider the aperture, the more treble there is in the sound. This has something to do with acoustic impedance, and I believe that as the tip becomes more narrow, the more difficult it is for sound waves to travel through the passage of the tip, and the more bass there is in the sound. Perhaps someone else can actually tell us why that is the case. Another thing to consider is that the material of the tip is important, in that a softer material may become more squashed easily, which again effects the amount of acoustic impedance.

The other factor is the actual material of the tips - foam, silicone, hybrids, etc. I'm not sure why different tip materials affect the sound beyond changing the amount of sealing, but generally I've found foam tips tend to warm up the sound.

The last thing I can think of is the shape of the tips. A tip which sits flush with the nozzle generally sounds more detailed/intimate than a tip which extends in a way that keeps the IEM further away from your ear - conversely those longer tips seem to increase soundstage.

All these factors are influenced by how the bends and changes in the ear canal actually effect the sound. Full customs are able to bypass a lot of the influence of the ear canal shape by plugging quite deep into the canal.

Sorry I couldn't be more specific, but I've generally found, playing around with different tips with different IEMs, that there is generally no magic formula for finding the right tips. Some tips work fantastic for some phones, even when you wouldn't think it, and some are terrible. It honestly surprises me each time how much of an effect tips have on the sound -  sometimes in bizarre, unanticipated ways. 

Nov 3, 2010 at 9:16 AM Post #3 of 5
Well, thanks! This confirms my theory - I thought that with a narrower opening the bass will be tighter and deeper but that was just a hypothesis. It will be nice if someone can explain how this works and exactly what difference does the width of the tip make in the sound coming through except for the bass. Also I always thought that the shorter the tip the better the soundstage will be but I may be wrong. In this case though I mean two equal in length and in width tips which have a different opening. 
Also, now when you mentioned it, can you tell me more about the softer material tips and in what way it changes the acoustic impedance and what exactly changes in the sound with the change in the amount of the acoustic impedance - is it better for the tips to be squashed easily or not - as probably with softer ones one can get a bigger size tip in his ear which could probably lead to a better seal or the not-so-soft ones can give the same seal even if you can fit a smaller tip in your ear?
Sorry if my questions sound stupid.

Nov 3, 2010 at 11:56 AM Post #4 of 5
Thanks, a_recording, for your explanations and examples, which tend to match my experiences with different tips on my various IEMs. Yes, the combinations all sound different, in seemingly unpredictable ways.

I've got four sets of silicone single flanges with my newer Fischer DBA-02's, all the same size and fit, but slightly different in silicone pliability. It is fascinating that such a subtle difference can significantly alter the SQ. Surprisingly, the OEM black tips and Shure grey single flange have different apertures, but sound the most similar to me.

Nov 3, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #5 of 5
Do you think that a wider opening gives a wider soundstage or the sounstage is affected only by the length of the tips?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back