IEMs for Mixing and Listening?
Oct 1, 2012 at 10:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

andyhan

New Head-Fier
Yes, I do realize that mixing is done best with true studio monitors or reference headphones, but I'm just wondering what the best IEM for mixing would be. Please note that although they need to be good for mixing and need to be very well balanced (with no frequencies recessed), I'd want them to sound good for normal listening as well.

I've been looking at Westone's UM series of IEMs such as the UM3X. Any thoughts? Thanks!
By the way, I mix tracks that I make in Logic Pro 9 (mostly electronic [house] tracks and hip-hop tracks)

Sub-$400 preferred!

Oct 1, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #2 of 5
The Westone 3 is the "fun" and colorized IEM in their lineup. Significantly boosted midbass and treble. The UM3x on the other hand is very attenuated in the treble, likely to avoid attacking listeners with treble spikes. The W4, while definitely more balanced than Westone's triple BAs, still has a more of a midbass boost than what I would find passably neutral (+4db, q ~2.3 @ 125hz).

The Shure 535 is lacking the treble extension and linearity to taste. Pretty even midrange and bass though.

The UE900 is a little too new to have many impressions just yet. Wait a while for that.

Oct 1, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #4 of 5
Take the Heir Audio 4.Ai into consideration. Just under the budget, and many claims of neutrality. I managed to get a few seconds to listen to them, but it wasn't long enough to form an opinion. Looks stunning, however, and seems quite sturdy for everyday professional use.

And yes, have the W4s. A bit clouded for monitoring. I'd put the bass bump at ~2-3db, at least with Hybrid tips. Probably more with other tips.

The ER4Ps are good for monitoring, I'd imagine, but maybe a bit rolled off for mixing? Especially for electronic music. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back