IEMs for Metal music for under $200!
Dec 3, 2012 at 6:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Eastwoods

New Head-Fier
Hello Everyone,

I'm pretty new to this forum but I've been lurking for the past couple weeks or so and have searched a ton but can't quite find the answer I'm looking for, and not sure what is outdated and isn't anymore.

I bought a pair of the Klipsch x10s for the Black Friday sale and will be returning them as I do not really like what they're offering. Not enough bass, mids/highs feel muddy at times and everything feels too relaxed for my liking. I guess this means that I'm really looking for a fun pair of headphones with lots of musicality ( not sure if thats the right term?) 

I'm looking for a pair of IEMs (or potentially full headphones if someone is convincing enough, but I'm pretty set on IEMs) that have the following qualities:

Bass- I'm not exactly sure if I'm a "basshead" as im new to the high-end headphone market but I definitely want a very good amount of bass, tight and thumping (especially in metal with things double bass pedals and the like). I really want to feel the bass. Not just listen to it (which is what it felt like with the x10s)

Mids/Highs- Clear and crisp mids and sparkling highs are probably quite important for metal, although if the mids are recessed a little bit it shouldn't be too much of a problem.  I'm not too sure how else to describe this category as I am new and my vocabulary is limited. When it comes down to it, clarity and excitement is what I'm looking for here. I know that theres probably not a pair in my price range that will give me everything I want but there has to be some sort of sweet spot right?

I do listen to older metal on occasion (Iron Maiden, Metallica, etc.) but am mostly into death metal like Children of Bodom/ Between the Buried and Me/ Dreamshade/ Veil of Maya and recently even some metalcore such as August Burns Red/ Parkway Drive. Besides that, I listen to a lot of rap/hip hop also so bass is a must there obviously too.

I'd really like to stay below $150 but I'm willing to dish out a little extra if it's really needed. There doesn't seem to be a general consensus on the best IEMs in this price range. A few I've seen mentioned are the GR07/TF10/Westone 4 but those are really pushing the budget limits and I'm not sure if they will give me the sound I want.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Dec 3, 2012 at 6:27 AM Post #2 of 2
Personally, Triple-fi 10 are everything you're describing imo.

You could also consider Yamaha EPH-100, they're cheaper and offer very musical presentation, have the bass you want, the clarity, The highs aren't as extended as TF10 though. Really TF10 are the ones if you can afford it. GR07 MK2 are good for rock, they especially have the grind you want for guitars and drums but can sound a touch thin with the wrong source.

But I've always said if I was to suggest anything for rock and metal over the two I would say TF10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back