IEMs for maximum $130-$140 AUD ($145 USD) Australia
Aug 18, 2011 at 6:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

provoked

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

Been driving myself nutty reading through all these posts/reviews. I'm on the hunt for a new pair of IEMs to replace my Klipsch S4i's as the cabling on these things have crapped themselves. I've enjoyed the S4i's, but the quality of the cabling and jack is shoddy IMHO, therefore I won't be looking to get another set. The other thing I've noticed after plugging in the Apple IEMs I gave my wife is that these S4i's might sound ok but the clarity just isn't there.

What I need? I use them on my iPhone 4 everyday, and I utilize the mic/volume/skip etc control, so I don't want to lose this functionality. I listen to a bit of everything, but mostly enjoy bands like Coldplay, U2, radiohead and The Temper Trap. I must admit, I probably like my IEMs a little more bassy, but not over the top and don't like booming bass.

The options I have found so far:

- Etymotic HF2 - $180 AUD - a little too pricey, and I'm not sure I'll be happy with them as app they're a little more natural sounding?)
- Etymotic MC3 - $100 AUD
- Shure 215 - $129. No Mic/Inline control
- HiFi Man RE0 - $99. No Mic/Inline control
- Ultimate Ears 700 - $99. No Mic/Inline control

With the ones without mic/inline control, I was looking to get Audio Technica AT335i to give me Mic/Call/Volume/Music control @ $40AUD

Currently considering the UE700s as they're a good deal.

I've read the massive IEM Review Post (what a brilliant thread!), but some of these aren't listed. The other problem is that I need to get them from Australia or shipped to Australia (we don't have nearly as much choice as you US folk!) Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Aug 18, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #2 of 40
The UE700s are a great deal but you won't have a mic of course.

I woudn't recommend the MC3 at all really if you want a bit of bass.

If you can find a discount code for this site (10% or 15% is nearly always floating around) I would go for the SE215i's 

http://www.soundearphones.com/collections/frontpage/products/215i

Otherwise if you prefer local, the a-Jays Fours would be decent with a mic (but not as good as the UE700s)
 http://wickeddigital.com.au/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=joomlaplates.tpl&product_id=786&category_id=16&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53

Aug 18, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #4 of 40
SE215's out of that list. Pair them with the Shure black foam sleeves and you will have the most comfortable and sealed IEM experience.

My Atrio's don't have a mic but all I do is bring the phone close to my mouth and just talk into the normal phone mic, works just fine. It will ofcourse be an issue for long calls or driving (but then again, one shouldn't use IEMs while driving anyway).

Aug 18, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #5 of 40
So it seems like the SE215's so far. A-recording - it seems like SoundEarphone ships to Oz for free?

I should have also mentioned, happy to take suggestions out of that list also.

Aug 18, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #6 of 40
Mhmm see if you can find a discount code, there is usually one floating around. Though if you wait around someone else might give you another bright idea :3

Aug 18, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #7 of 40
There was a discount on mp4nation's Brainwavz B2 awhile ago, not sure if its still up but that would be a great deal. Think it was going for 120-130 USD.

I can suggest the Meelectronic cc51 and the Thinksound TS02 but they're both not gonna be a big 'upgrade' in sound over the S4i. You would appreciate the natural yet bassy Thinksound TS02

http://www.noisymotel.com/product.asp?ProductID=122
http://www.noisymotel.com/product.asp?ProductID=208

Aug 18, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #8 of 40
There we go, thats another idea. I've heard the cc51 and I can tell you it has a big, rich and warm natural sound. 

I also forgot to mention, the Nuforce NE-700M. That's a decent choice for something a bit bassier. http://www.nuforce.com/hp/products/ne700mx/index.php

Aug 18, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #9 of 40
Dam - so many options!

I need to narrow them down :frowning2: I'm still thinking the Shure 215s. I like the look of the Nuforce's, do they ship to Oz? Hadn't though about the B2s, cc51 and ts02. Are these all near equal headphones just with different sound (i.e. Mids, highs, base etc)?

Aug 18, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #11 of 40
and I also noticed the Phinak Audeo PFE-122. I've read in the IEM review thread that they aren't a bad unit...
blink.gif

Aug 19, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #12 of 40

Quote:
and I also noticed the Phinak Audeo PFE-122. I've read in the IEM review thread that they aren't a bad unit...
blink.gif

They are not bad but bass will be relatively lighter. I think you made the correct decision with the Shures, just go for them IMO.
The only other IEM I would recommend which is around $160 is the Future Sonics Atrio's. I have been using mine for a long time and I just love them!

Aug 19, 2011 at 2:37 AM Post #13 of 40

Quote:
They are not bad but bass will be relatively lighter. I think you made the correct decision with the Shures, just go for them IMO.
The only other IEM I would recommend which is around $160 is the Future Sonics Atrio's. I have been using mine for a long time and I just love them!

The Shures sound good. Now I'm on the hunt for a discount code!

Aug 22, 2011 at 9:34 AM Post #14 of 40
UE700 is a fantastic deal at $99 including taxes and shipping and they arrived at my door in 2 days!

I've never heard of Australia haven't the cheapest price on any product, anything, ever, so this is a nice exception, and a fantastic IEM, the musical pill.

Aug 22, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #15 of 40
Will the UE700 have the bass he is looking for?

Maybe look into the Spider Realvoice. People at the company are supposed to be really nice and they have the iPhone remote. Shipped from US though if they'll ship to you that is haha. ~$80-90 don't know about shipping cost.

Also it seems like since you listed one for 180 aud, that you are considering going up in price range if they are worth it so depending on needs like isolation etc I'll tentatively recommend you at the very least look into/read about some others that you could have shipped to you by reputable companies:
None have the remote =\

JVC FX500. A seemingly logical upgrade from the S4's. ~$155 shipped from jzool.com. Low isolation, high maintenance.

Sony EX600. Might be available locally. In the US it's ~$135 so maybe it's also a good price where you are. Not sure about overseas shipping. Also low isolation.

VSonic GR07. ~$180 shipped internationally lendmeurears.com good isolation, ok cable.

Bass on the EX600 and GR07 seem flat so might be underwhelming in quantity coming from the S4 but definitely not boomy and very controlled from what I hear about them both (I own only the GR07).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back