IEMs for classical music
Oct 3, 2011 at 11:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

deyo

New Head-Fier
Hi! I'm looking an IEMs for classical music (analytical / wide soundstage) and I'm wondering wich of both IEMs are better RE0 or ER-4P's (others?!), also for it's price. I would use Cowon J3, really need an amp?

Regards

Oct 3, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #2 of 17

I am relatively new to being an audiophile, but I can venture some help as I love classical music as well and look for similar things in my IEM's as you.

I have a pair of etymotic HF3's. They are very analytic earphones, but the soundstage is relatively small, making them sound intimate. That being said, I hear the ER-4's maintain the etymotic sound signature, which is analytic but intimate. I enjoy mine very much though. Very accurate sound reproduction.

I have not listened to RE0, so I cannot speak on that topic. As to amping, I just ordered my first, so I do not quite have authority to speak on that either.

Oct 3, 2011 at 12:01 PM Post #3 of 17
Do not get the RE0: no bass, tiny soundstage, will break under warranty

I'd recommend the VSONIC GR07 and maybe MEElectronics A151 although I do not own it. I also just ordered the ECCI PR401 which might suit you.

Ety do great in that regard though (detail, analytical, treble extension). I used to own their ER6i when I was more of a strict Classical listener

Oct 3, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #5 of 17

I listen to primarily classical so I'll just chime in. (Cowon D3 w/o portable amp most days). You'll be hard pressed to find a pair of IEMs that are analytical AND have good soundstaging.

I find the ER4S great for string quartets and solo instruments (sonatas, concertos). Finding a good seal for these phones takes a lot of trial and error, however, but I get the best results using the smaller of the supplied flange tips (the translucent ones). Give it a little turn once deep in your ear canals and the seal should be very good. The foam tips should give a good seal as well but at the expense of a little bass. I will not say much about the Etymotic sound signature, it's been well discussed here. It's bright, analytic, and faithful to the source. You'll love it for good recordings and hate it when the source is poor. With a good seal, the bass is what it is - no more, no less. Tight and accurate. I like to think of it as my mini K701, but without the soundstaging. As mentioned earlier the Etymotic soundstaging isn't that great. But if you want to stand next to Hilary Hahn as she plays her Bach Concertos then get the Etymotics, the ER4P to be exact (you really need an amp to do the ER4S justice).

For orchestral works (operas, symphonies) I normally use my Triple Fi 10 Pros. In fact it's a toss up between my IE8s (with flange tips) and the Triple Fi 10s. But with comply tips the Triple Fis has the edge. Good soundstaging and detail (though somewhat "veiled" and not as bright/analytic as the Etymotics) and amazing bass. Beethoven's 9th never sounded so good. The closest possible analog I can think of in the full-size world is the Sennheiser HD650. With the IE8s I constantly struggle to get a good seal, which would invariably involve sitting still without swallowing lest the little buggers break the seal.

Good luck in your search.

Oct 3, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #7 of 17
Budget-fi SoundMagic E30, PL30 both with Wide soundstage.  Super Budget-fi SoundMagic PL20 anemic bass but quite listenable for a knockaround pair
Mee A151 is excellent as well a great all rounder.
JVC HA-FXC80 - the highs are awesome
Radiopaq Classical - does quite well with layering the bass while maintaining a careful balance between mids and highs.

As someone said above the UE700's are quite pleasing for classical as they have an interesting soundstage as well as great detail throughout the spectrum. 

And as mentioned any Ety product is an excellent choice as they are very analytical.  I use my ER6i's regularly when listening to classical, I still haven't had a chance to get my hands on HF5's or ER4's

Oct 4, 2011 at 3:40 AM Post #8 of 17

Quote:
I ordered a UE700 on a whim, and hope it works out. 

can you please review them when you get them, im pretty interested in them and have heard great things about them

sorry bout the threadjack

Oct 4, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #9 of 17
^ Will do. It should arrive near the end of the week.

I haven't had an IEM for a long while, so for me the UE700 is square one. If it works out I'd like to upgrade to the next level with custom ear canal pieces. Any recommendations for classical music oriented IEM in the $500-1000 range?

Oct 4, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #10 of 17
Thank you guys, many interesting recommendations! 
wink.gif

I would like to start with these IEMs w/o amp due to more spending - cables - space.. (at the moment I use Brainwavz M3 and Eterna rev.1 for general purposes wich doesn't need an amp) and invest in hearphones, at least for now, and for ER4S / RE0/ -272?.. seems to need one to do justice as says Lex2 and from what I've read.

I just read some very interesting things about GR07 that jarrett recommends and perhaps to consider 
bigsmile_face.gif

What about Phonak Audeo PFE and DBA-02 (or even Brainwavz B2)?

ps: better if it's below the 250-300 bucks, but interesting to hear others as proposed by pigmode ^^

Regards 

Oct 4, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #13 of 17

Quote:
Thank you guys, many interesting recommendations! 
wink.gif
I would like to start with these IEMs w/o amp due to more spending - cables - space.. (at the moment I use Brainwavz M3 and Eterna rev.1 for general purposes wich doesn't need an amp) and invest in hearphones, at least for now, and for ER4S / RE0/ -272?.. seems to need one to do justice as says Lex2 and from what I've read.I just read some very interesting things about GR07 that jarrett recommends and perhaps to consider 
bigsmile_face.gif
What about Phonak Audeo PFE and DBA-02 (or even Brainwavz B2)?

ps: better if it's below the 250-300 bucks, but interesting to hear others as proposed by pigmode ^^

Regards 

I have the RE272 and the JAYS q-JAYS both next to me and while the RE272 are very clear and fantastic for classical, I find the q-JAYS just as good if not better. The biggest con of the q-JAYS in comparison to the RE272 is sibilance. The q-JAYS are hot on the treble, but the included Comply tips really balance the treble out and bring the bass a step up. They are both very detailed and revealing while leaning towards the bright side. The RE272 have some sibilance, but nothing terrible, but there's something missing in the sound here. I never once found the RE272 fun to listen to in all honesty. They are very cold.

Both are good headphones, I edge the q-JAYS above the RE272 though. 

I do plan to do a more in-depth review comparing the two though.

Edit: I want to say that the q-JAYS are definitely better all-rounder IEMs as well. The RE272 leave me wanting more when listening to alternative rock, they actually sound a bit thin in the mids, and certainly in the lows though there's very little sibilance in comparison to the q-JAYS.

Oct 4, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #14 of 17
I second the ER4P for strings. Amazing. If you're into symphonies/larger pieces, I like the Westone 2 quite a bit, or if you can afford the Westone 4 does all well.

Oct 12, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #15 of 17
Have spent some time with the UE700.

I'm listening to Bach Concerto No. 2 in E, with Amarra connected direct to the MBP's 3.5mm output. Detail resolution is impressive, although at times I would call its tonality a tiny bit thin. Not disengagingly so, but the impression pops up once in a while. Depending on the recording, in other instances there's a nice richness going on. In this sense its definitely an analytical sound signature, but it grows on you as it has its own strengths.   

I was cut short without a 1/8" to 1/4" adaptor, so when it comes in I'll try it out in the main system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back