IEMS better than UE Triple Fi 10
May 7, 2012 at 11:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

sneaglebob

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone. Recently I posted a thread asking about the UE TF10 and according to the descriptions of sound quality, it seems as if it is the best IEM here. I may be completely wrong and I believe I am but just to be sure is there IEMS better than the triple fi 10 in all aspects including bass and comfort??

May 7, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #2 of 29
To beat the TF10 in EVERY aspect is gonna get very expensive very quickly. Bass is very good on the TF10 but its far from a basshead IEM and comfort is probably the main complaint followed by one of the worst cables in the history of mankind (cable issue is an easy fix lots of good aftermarket cables at reasonable prices). So while it may not be the best IEM it at least can be mentioned in the same conversation without too many giggles. And for the money they are unbeatable. Yet the TF10 is still kinda hit or miss, I for one love them and would never get rid of them.

May 7, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #3 of 29
→_→ shouldn't this be posted under the "portable headphone" ? but oh well... it's hard to find IEMs with better sound than TF10 in the price range (only different personal preferences).. but if you are willing to throw $500 $1000at it.. sure.. you can get some CIEMs that probably can out perform TF10 in almost every aspect, but even that would only be a slight marginal increase...

May 8, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #4 of 29
Quote:
Hi everyone. Recently I posted a thread asking about the UE TF10 and according to the descriptions of sound quality, it seems as if it is the best IEM here. I may be completely wrong and I believe I am but just to be sure is there IEMS better than the triple fi 10 in all aspects including bass and comfort??

Agreed with the others, wrong forum, there's a different forum for IEMs & portables, so the mods will probably move this.

However, since you ask....for the money TF10 is an excellent IEM, however it's not, on a technical level, the best in terms of objective evaluation.  I'll assume you're talking about "the best universal fit IEM", since if we get into CUSTOM IEMs (the body and tip are made by a doctor's mold to custom fit your ear, which is UE's main business for pro-audio as you'll see on their website) the price brackets and performance levels go through the roof.   A pair of top-end customs can run several thousand $, and that doesn't include medical expenses for the series of doctors visits to get them fitted.

So returning to the land of mortals and "Universal IEMs" TF10 is still UE's top of the line universal, and at one time was a $400 flagship of the industry.  In terms of raw performance, Shure and Westone's flagships will top it, the $500 SE535 and W4.  They're larger, pricer, but they're generally better all around, and are certainly more comfortable.  If you're a bass-head the Sennheiser IE-8 is worth a look.  It's not as detailed as even TF10, but it throws a lot of bass.   For more money and a sound in between IE-8 and TF10 the Westone W3x is worth a look. If you're a classical buff and only a ruler-flat analytical sound will do, Etymotic e4 is your default choice.

It also depends on what sound signature you like.  The UE house sound is a deep V-shaped frequency response curve.  The mids are deeply recessed and the lows and highs are ramped up very far.  It's neither a flaw or a weakness, it's just the sound signature it's tuned for and is purely a preference thing.  They chose that signature because their main industry is stage-audio monitors, where the mids get in the way and you need to hear the details clearly as a performer/engineer.  It's a very forward, exciting, energetic sound or a lot of mainstream music.  It also does strangely well with chamber music, decent with jazz, but is ghastly with orchestral. 

Shure's SE535 sound is very similar to HD650's on tubes in terms of headphones, detailed but laid back, with boosted, liquid smooth warmed mids.  W4 is supposedly a bit more airy with a wider soundstage but can be seen as a bit thin sounding and grainy.  Etymotic is ruler-flat and excellent for analysis. 

Finally for the budget option is HiFiMan RE0.  Very popular, and excellent for the money, but I'd still pick TF10 above them.

Fit and comfort is also important.  With an IEM the fit in your ear is everything, the sound will be awful without a good seal.  UE tips work for some, not others.  Comply foams are a good fit, but expensive.   I personally use Sony Hybrid tips with them but everyone's ear is different.  And nothing compares to Shure "olives" (black foam sleeves) for comfort and fit for me personally.  They don't fit the UEs.  UE  TF10 has the most derranged design ever in terms of fit.  They have them set up so they pop out of your ear straight out.  For me it makes it impossible to get a seal.   However the fix is easy, just swap the removable cable ends (L monitor on the R side of the cable).  Takes 3 minutes to do, and makes them fit much better.  It's a very good monitor, and if you seek a V shape it's the only good choice.  But it's not the only IEM so you have to buy by preference.  Ultimately I like my Shures much more, but for 3-5x the going price of TF10, they'd better be superior, and I'm not likely to bring my Shures many places due to cost.  The TF10 is affordable enough that, while I still woudn't bring them anywhere I think I'm really risking them, I'm a lot more generous with how I use them :wink:

May 14, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #6 of 29
Quote:
Quote:

Agreed with the others, wrong forum, there's a different forum for IEMs & portables, so the mods will probably move this.

However, since you ask....for the money TF10 is an excellent IEM, however it's not, on a technical level, the best in terms of objective evaluation.  I'll assume you're talking about "the best universal fit IEM", since if we get into CUSTOM IEMs (the body and tip are made by a doctor's mold to custom fit your ear, which is UE's main business for pro-audio as you'll see on their website) the price brackets and performance levels go through the roof.   A pair of top-end customs can run several thousand $, and that doesn't include medical expenses for the series of doctors visits to get them fitted.

So returning to the land of mortals and "Universal IEMs" TF10 is still UE's top of the line universal, and at one time was a $400 flagship of the industry.  In terms of raw performance, Shure and Westone's flagships will top it, the $500 SE535 and W4.  They're larger, pricer, but they're generally better all around, and are certainly more comfortable.  If you're a bass-head the Sennheiser IE-8 is worth a look.  It's not as detailed as even TF10, but it throws a lot of bass.   For more money and a sound in between IE-8 and TF10 the Westone W3x is worth a look. If you're a classical buff and only a ruler-flat analytical sound will do, Etymotic e4 is your default choice.

It also depends on what sound signature you like.  The UE house sound is a deep V-shaped frequency response curve.  The mids are deeply recessed and the lows and highs are ramped up very far.  It's neither a flaw or a weakness, it's just the sound signature it's tuned for and is purely a preference thing.  They chose that signature because their main industry is stage-audio monitors, where the mids get in the way and you need to hear the details clearly as a performer/engineer.  It's a very forward, exciting, energetic sound or a lot of mainstream music.  It also does strangely well with chamber music, decent with jazz, but is ghastly with orchestral. 

Shure's SE535 sound is very similar to HD650's on tubes in terms of headphones, detailed but laid back, with boosted, liquid smooth warmed mids.  W4 is supposedly a bit more airy with a wider soundstage but can be seen as a bit thin sounding and grainy.  Etymotic is ruler-flat and excellent for analysis. 

Finally for the budget option is HiFiMan RE0.  Very popular, and excellent for the money, but I'd still pick TF10 above them.

Fit and comfort is also important.  With an IEM the fit in your ear is everything, the sound will be awful without a good seal.  UE tips work for some, not others.  Comply foams are a good fit, but expensive.   I personally use Sony Hybrid tips with them but everyone's ear is different.  And nothing compares to Shure "olives" (black foam sleeves) for comfort and fit for me personally.  They don't fit the UEs.  UE  TF10 has the most derranged design ever in terms of fit.  They have them set up so they pop out of your ear straight out.  For me it makes it impossible to get a seal.   However the fix is easy, just swap the removable cable ends (L monitor on the R side of the cable).  Takes 3 minutes to do, and makes them fit much better.  It's a very good monitor, and if you seek a V shape it's the only good choice.  But it's not the only IEM so you have to buy by preference.  Ultimately I like my Shures much more, but for 3-5x the going price of TF10, they'd better be superior, and I'm not likely to bring my Shures many places due to cost.  The TF10 is affordable enough that, while I still woudn't bring them anywhere I think I'm really risking them, I'm a lot more generous with how I use them :wink:

Which custom reshell would you recommend?  the Unique Melody ones look amazing...but $170 compared to $125 for Kozee..

I don't think I've had issues with TF10 fitment, but when you swap the L and R cables....how do you put them in your ears?  Does the R still go into the R and vice versa?  Do you still wrap the cable around the top of your ear? 

May 14, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #7 of 29
When I received UET Fi 10 I couldn't listen, harsh treble almost like beyerdynamic DT990. But after plug into my SR71b totally different IEM, better bass, reduced trebles etc. The difference is noticeable with sr71b.

May 14, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #8 of 29
Quote:
When I received UET Fi 10 I couldn't listen, harsh treble almost like beyerdynamic DT990. But after plug into my SR71b totally different IEM, better bass, reduced trebles etc. The difference is noticeable with sr71b.

really don't know what you're talking about.  TF10 have almost comparable highs to my DT880.  Perhaps you got a bad pair?  TF10 doesn't need a $500 amp to sound good! 

May 14, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #10 of 29
Quote:
I have 2 pair of TF 10's both with Jaben ES-8 cables. They both sound identical with Cowon J3.......fantastic. The only thing bothersome is the fit, they can be fatiguing after a while. There may be a day when i get them molded.

wow, a pair sold for only $20 a few months ago on headfi.  Thinking about getting the $40 westone cables or maybe $110 null audio lune cables...  

Are the Jaben's noticeably better than the original cables? 

Just sold my J3--looking to buy another ASAP :)    Might end up with the D3 for now, though..

May 14, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #11 of 29
buy UE customs cables they are the best of the low price replacements better than the westone EPIC cable that I also have.
Quote:
wow, a pair sold for only $20 a few months ago on headfi.  Thinking about getting the $40 westone cables or maybe $110 null audio lune cables...  

Are the Jaben's noticeably better than the original cables? 

Just sold my J3--looking to buy another ASAP :)    Might end up with the D3 for now, though..

May 14, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #13 of 29
um3x>tf-10
ck90 mk2>tf-10
ck-10>tf-10
ex-1000>tf-10
er4x>tf-10
fx700>tf-10
Need I go on?
They aren't bad at all, just horribly designed (ergonomically).
The overall signature needs to be eq'ed. I still think they sound wonderful though for the price.

May 14, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #14 of 29
TF10's are great and although UE discontinued them recently, you can still find them online for under $200, less than half what I paid for them when they were the flagship model.  For another $150, you can get molds and ship them to Fisher InEarz for a custom reshell which converts them to CIEM's.  Provided your molds are done correctly, the seal is much better than when they are in universal form (i.e. using foam or silicone tips) and this is how you get the best bass response.  Finally, for another $25 you can get a Fiio E6 amp that has a setting to boost bass and midrange frequencies, which addresses the deficiencies commonly complained about both those areas.  So, for a grand total of under $400, you have some fabulous CIEM's which typically start out at about twice that cost from many manufacturers.  There is a thread here about the Fisher/InEarz remolds for TF10's here on the site.  Since I had mine reshelled, they are in my ears several hours every day and I love them.  Good luck!

Edit: Forgot to mention replacing the cable... Fisher has a nice one for $30 which you can add in during remold, Westone has a nice one at $40 (I got the 64" one) and Fiio has one as well.  Still coming in around $400 all told.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back