IEM with decent soundstage
Jun 7, 2009 at 6:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

KLS

Headphoneus Supremus
Whenever I switch my HD580 to SF5, I miss the spacious stage and instrument seperation of HD580 (alright I know it is unfair for IEM vs full-sized headphone in terms of soundstage...)

FWIR IE8 gives a good soundstage and instrument seperation. I just want to know whether there are others universal IEMS which offer good, or better soundstage than IE8?

Jun 7, 2009 at 7:12 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by toughnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dynamic iem generally provides better soundstage than balanced armature. Soundstage on iem more like headstage imo.

I see.

How would you compare the IEMs you have tried/owned purely in terms of soundstage, urmm I mean headstage? I am from Japan actually and I see you keep the CK100 and sold the others.

Jun 7, 2009 at 7:14 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
UE11? I auditioned the universal fit UE11 at Can Jam and think the soundstage is a little wider than my IE8.

Yes I am searching for universal IEM with a wide soundstage, but my wallet wont say yes for IEMs more than USD400...
tongue.gif

Anyway thanks for suggestion and I would like to try them if I have a chance.

Jun 7, 2009 at 7:49 AM Post #7 of 18
x2 on IE8, and Triple Fi is no soundstage slouch either.

Jun 7, 2009 at 8:46 AM Post #8 of 18
IE8 has the biggest among IEMS I have heard, and you should be able to find it for 300 or less if you search around, call into authorized dealers and price match or whatever.

Jun 7, 2009 at 8:59 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zalithian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're used to headphones, be prepared for a long, similar burn in on the IE8's.

OK, actually I enjoy burn-in process
biggrin.gif

Jun 7, 2009 at 9:00 AM Post #12 of 18
IE8 has biggest soundstage among all iem i tested. Triple.fi also has big soundstage. CK100 soundstage smaller but has better depth and height, most 3D like among iem i had. I will suggest IE8 though

Jun 7, 2009 at 9:06 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by toughnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IE8 has biggest soundstage among all iem i tested. Triple.fi also has big soundstage. CK100 soundstage smaller but has better depth and height, most 3D like among iem i had. I will suggest IE8 though

Most 3D? Does that mean you can pinpoint where the sound of the instrument comes from?

FWIR both IE8 and CK100 seem to have recessed mids. Does this have anything to do with their soundstage?

Jun 7, 2009 at 9:17 AM Post #14 of 18
i have not yet heard the ie8 (but soon will), but can comment on many many armature phones. most have smaller stages, but a well-produced one will have very very precise placement within that stage that can sometimes feel like you are swimming in a 3D experience.

for some reason, the armatures do a better job of making you think you are listening to very good closed headphones whilst the dynamics may be closer to a very good 2,1 speaker system.

the best armature i have heard by a long long shot has been the ck10 from audio technica

Jun 7, 2009 at 10:03 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have not yet heard the ie8 (but soon will), but can comment on many many armature phones. most have smaller stages, but a well-produced one will have very very precise placement within that stage that can sometimes feel like you are swimming in a 3D experience.

for some reason, the armatures do a better job of making you think you are listening to very good closed headphones whilst the dynamics may be closer to a very good 2,1 speaker system.

the best armature i have heard by a long long shot has been the ck10 from audio technica

I have only one armature, the SF5v2, and its stage is just like what your description says. Its kind of 'in-your-head', but IMO it has a precise placement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back