IEM upgrade recommendation coming from klipsch Image X10
May 11, 2009 at 7:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

zenpunk

Headphoneus Supremus
This is my first post so hello to everybody.
I have been lurking around here for a while and sadly caught the upgraditis bug. I so far owned v-moda-vibe (who died as most do) ->Goldring GX200.
I then bought the Denon c751 after reading all the praises on here and I fell in love straight away. Unfortunatly it was short lived as two weeks later I won an ebay auction for the Klipsch 10. And all I can say is whooa!The denon just couldn't compete. I so love the Klipsch sound I find hard to believe there could be anything better (particularely their fast and punchy bass, and sounstage). But then I haven't heard other high-end IEM.
I listen to anything from hard pounding techno/minimal to rock (pixies, sonic youth...) with a Sony 639. My budget is around £250.
From various reading I am leaning toward the IE8 as I understand the bass extand lower. But I am just worried that I will loose the bass attack/texture/energy of klipsch. Will be greatful to hear your views, especialy if you own both.
I probably should just keep on enjoying the klipsch ...but then again, upraditis is a terrible disease
icon10.gif

I also like to add that I have rather small ears and my ear canal is quite recessed, and looking at the weird IE shape and short tube I wonder if I will be able to get a good seal.

May 12, 2009 at 9:17 AM Post #2 of 8
No answers. Does that mean I reached the end of the road and, as I guessed, that Image X10 is really the best IEM out there.
Just have to wait for Image X20 then...
wink.gif

May 12, 2009 at 11:17 AM Post #4 of 8
Cheers for your input. I had my mind up made about the IE8, but I came across a headphone I have never heard of : the JVC victor x500. Very few owner on here but some rate it higher than IE8. Look like it will also be cheaper despite having to buy from Japan (about £100 from Bluetin Japan). Regarding bass my main concern is impact+texture or details. More like a reversed ER4 (more detailed in bass and low mid)

May 12, 2009 at 12:39 PM Post #5 of 8
my vague memories about the victor:
- its brighter sounding compared to IE8
- the bass is somewhat similar to the image, with more quantity, almost to the level of atrios. its fast, not so much of a subwoofer effect.
- the mids are more recessed compared to IE8
my greatest impression about it is that piano notes, from low to high, sounded so damn clear, to the point that its unnatural.

May 12, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #6 of 8
I have owned Etymotics ER 4P, ER 4S, ER 6i and Shure SE-530.

I have just auditioned Klipsch Image X10, and Custom 3s. I must say that the sound of the Klipsch X 10 image was my favorite. Though I would like to own a pair before giving a real endorsement.

When it comes to stuff I have actually owned, Shure VS Etymotic. I would go with Etymotic. The audio detail and build quality of the Etymotics ER 4P and 4S is great. They are built to last. And you can change the internal filters yourself. (Shures require you to send in your cans for this. Not good)

The build quality of the Shures (considering the price) is the real disappointment. Changing the ear buds is an exercise in chance. The tube they go on to is fated to break eventually. Cheap, though very pretty. plastics.

The Etymotics ER4s (drivers) are built like tanks.

There is my 2 cents from my day to day experience with at least these two choices.

Etymotic 4s is long overdue for a design/tech upgrade (more bass), but seeing that their sound quality is still VERY high, and the fact that they can be found new online for 150 dollars, they can be a fantastic deal.

May 12, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #7 of 8
I think I confused people when I mention the Ety, which from what I read have rolled off bass but extanded high and are very detailed. When I mentioned reversed ER4 I meant a IEM that extand very low while remaining very clear and detailed while maybe loosing out a bit on treble clarity. I don't think you can have both unfortunatly due to technological limitation.
On a side note the ER4 or phonak are definately on my list. Just because I want to know what all the buzz is about and it is great to have headphones with different sound signatures that excels with different types of music.
The Image are very balanced, great timbre and have amazing bass but struggle with sub frequency. That might be asking to much from an IEM anyway.

May 12, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #8 of 8
Some say the custom 3’s have a superior sq than the X10’s, while others say the exact opposite. If you like the Klipsch sig, maybe give the C3’s a try and see what you think? They have a great price on amazon right now. The cable’s a bit annoying, but I’ve learned to ignore it, and the sound quality more than makes up for it, especially for the price. I prefer the C3’s to the SE530’s I used to own because of the increased comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back