IEM upgrade from Westone 4
Nov 20, 2013 at 3:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

darkinners

Head-Fier
I just sold my Westone 4 and looking for upgrade.

I have few targets in mind, Budget is under $1,600
But I don't NEED to spend 1,600 though, so any price range under my budget is ok.

Universal Fit

1. Heir Audio 4Ai
2. Heir Audio IEM 5.0
3. EarSonic SM64

Custom Fit
1. JH13 Pro
2. Compact Monitors Stage 4
3. Westone ES5
4. JH16 Pro

I really love my W4,
1. very comfortable to wear
2. The mid range level sitting quite right, lush rather thick but still provide quite true texture.
3. The sub low and low quite reasonably controlled
4. Not ear fatigue at all, I can put W4 all day everyday.

only few things I wish they were better

1. better extension of low and high but don't need extra quantity, just need the extension
2. overall sound quiet a bit brighter than W4
3. less hyped low, W4 seems has a little boost around 60-80Hz, the low sound a bit egged and has more impact than it should.

4. more high mid, W4 masked high mid too much that made virtually every bad recording sound much better than they should.
,I mainly use IEM for pleasure but sometimes I use IEM as reference check of mixes (Optional)

I want an upgrade with similar sound signature with above stated improvement.
Which one in the list you guys think suit me best? (I can't audition some of them, some of them not available in my country)

Or any other IEM recommendation that fit my taste are also welcome. Thanks in advance.

Nov 20, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #2 of 5
For that kind of budget, I would be considering Tralucent 1plus2 hybrid. It sits in with your mentioned preferences for most parts, and will literally blow Westone 4 into another dimension, and your other upgrade choices.

Good luck.

Nov 20, 2013 at 4:35 AM Post #3 of 5
For that kind of budget, I would be considering Tralucent 1plus2 hybrid. It sits in with your mentioned preferences for most parts, and will literally blow Westone 4 into another dimension, and your other upgrade choices.

Good luck.

Great! Thanks.
I will check them out.

I never heard of 1plus2 but I just googled it and found out Tralucent Audio is Hong Kong based company, great! might easier to find a pair to test drive :D

Nov 20, 2013 at 4:38 AM Post #4 of 5
The 1plus2 sounds great, but the mids are probably too recessed for your liking. 

Nov 20, 2013 at 4:39 AM Post #5 of 5

Good luck.

Great! Thanks.
I will check them out.

I never heard of 1plus2 but I just googled it and found out Tralucent Audio is Hong Kong based company, great! might easier to find a pair to test drive :D

Here's our thread on 1plus2 for you.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/623514/tralucent-audio-1plus2-iem-appreciation-impressions-thread

They're possibly the best universal hybrid on the market right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back