iem sound better when slightly pressing with fingers?
Sep 17, 2014 at 6:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

myemaildw

Headphoneus Supremus
why is that when i press my iem with my fingers a little they sound very nice, but when i just leave them in my ears without pressing them a little they sound sloppy? do i need another earbuds or something? and which ones? may be i could make some kind of device to make them stay in ears? is it cause earbuds come out of ears in opposite direction from sound? or something.
i am using regular silicone things. thipple silicon things are more uncomfortable cause they go in your ears and make my ear canal itchy and feel funky.

Sep 17, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #2 of 15
I believe it's because you aren't getting a proper seal in your ear canal. Which iems are they? You may find that using foam tips would be better for you, for example the comply ones I use with all my iems are great.

Sep 17, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #3 of 15
When you press them in, you are hearing how they would sound if the tips you used provided you with a proper seal.

Sometimes it is tip diameter that prevents you from getting a good seal. Sometimes it is tip material that stops you from maintaining a good seal (they slide out).

If they are not sealing until you press them in, the tips you currently have may be too large. If when you press them in they insert deeper to generate that seal, but are pushed out again after you release pressure, this could be also be symptom of tip being a little too large, or it is made of a material that slides out. Maybe you need comply foam tips, that conform to your ear canal, forming a complete seal that also resists sliding out.

Sep 17, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #4 of 15
As others have said, you probably need a larger or smaller bore tip. Secondarily, some iem's like a deeper insertion. So look at both longer and larger/smaller diameter tips. I would get an assortment pack so you can experiment.:)

Sep 17, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #5 of 15
The other options if it's not a poor seal as suggested above is that your IEMs are vented and you're blocking the vent when you press them in (this usually results in a decrease in the amount of bass, you may prefer this) or you have a good seal but have driver flex (there isn't enough air trapped between your eardrum and the driver so the driver isn't moving freely - this usually results in the sound being quieter and muffled)

Hard to say without knowing which IEM you have
etysmile.gif

Sep 17, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #6 of 15
can you suggest an online seller for foam tips. and for the assortment pack? mine don't have a vent. may be driver flexes but i only press slightly.
i've got weir ear canals. it is harder to get seal on the left ear. i can't get a seal on left ear. the right ear is fine. but the left ear canal is probably shaped weird or something.

Sep 17, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #7 of 15
Not all tips fit all iems. I like westone star assortment pack over foam tips but they don't fit all iems.They do fit shure and westone though.

What iems do you have?

Sep 18, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #8 of 15
when i was using earbuds like sony e818lp, i was experiencing the same. when you force earbuds into your ear canal, especially their bass becomes more powerful. which was actually my reason to switch to canal type earphones. same thing also applies for the canal types if the sealing not perfect as others stated above. performance of canal type earphones can vary with which tip size you use.

Sep 19, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #9 of 15
i can get a seal with the right ear with tripple flange eartip small size one. but on the left ear i can't get a seal. my left ear canal is not shaped the way the other one is probably. may be that is why some people use custom eartips. how can you make a custom eartips? i think that would be the best for me.

Sep 20, 2014 at 6:31 AM Post #10 of 15
You might just need different tips for each ear. We might be able to come up with more specific suggestions if you told us what IEMs you are using (forgive me if I didn't see them mentioned in your posts).

Sep 20, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #11 of 15
i have koss kdx100 and it has 1 size of triple flange tip. which is a big one that can properly fit in my ear canals. but meelectronics m-duo comes with 2 sizes of triple flanges which even the big one cannot compete in size with kdx100 so i cannot get a proper seal with it. maybe your left ear canal requires a big or smaller one. try classic tips both for your ears or find yourself a bigger triple flange one. here's a picture taken by me, showing kdx100 triple flange (on the right) vs m-duo's biggest triple flange (on left). as you can see size of tips can vary a lot from product to product.

Sep 21, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #13 of 15
i have beats tour earphones. and also apple in ear ones. but the question is for beats tour. but not sure if it's all important at the moment because i want to sell them. and buy something else. not really impressed with sound all that much and i like my apple earbuds more with a little bit of mod so that go in the ear. sound is better for me. i bought tours to use on the go but i am liking my moded apple earbuds more on the go so might sell them and buy something else. may be when i get the other onse may be i could try ear tips on those may be i get a good seal. or may be i make custom eartips from silicon putty, you can get that from ebay. it's like two containers and you mix a bit from each one to one proportion and it turns into rubber or something like that.

May 30, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #14 of 15
Came across this thread by chance.

If I press my Shure SE535 in quite forcibly, the bass tightens up massively, a thick veil is lifted, they sound absolutely stunning. As soon as I take my fingers off, they return to how they sounded before. Have tried every tip, can't get the same sound as when pushed in.

Jan 27, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #15 of 15
I have the same IEM with the exact same issue. Thinking I need custom moulds but also need a quick fix soon.

I can only describe the sound I get as "Flat" no bass, all treble and distorted... as soon as I push them in it booms and sounds perfect!! 
  Came across this thread by chance.

If I press my Shure SE535 in quite forcibly, the bass tightens up massively, a thick veil is lifted, they sound absolutely stunning. As soon as I take my fingers off, they return to how they sounded before. Have tried every tip, can't get the same sound as when pushed in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back