IEM similar in sound to HD650
Apr 25, 2010 at 1:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

FraGGleR

Headphoneus Supremus
I really enjoy the sound signature of my HD650's and would like to get some nicer IEM's than my E2C's and MEelectronics M6's. The E2C's lacked bass and are almost 4 years old now, and while the M6's gave me the bass I was missing, the treble was a little too harsh and I just couldn't get a great fit (which wasn't a problem with the E2C's).

Are the IE7's similar to the HD650's since they are Sennheisers? Are the IE8's $100 better than the IE7's? Any other suggestions in the $250 or lower range?

I will be running these out of either my Sansa Clip+ or my incoming Droid Incredible if it has a passable headphone out. In other words, I would prefer to not need an amp to get the best out of the IEM's.

I am been on a classical music kick recently, in particular string music (Yo-Yo Ma and Itzhak Perlman are gods), but I also listen to a fair bit of house/electronica like Deadmau5, Daft Punk, etc.

Apr 25, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #2 of 13
probably others will find it odd,but my new aquired cheapo (they are definitely not cheap sounding though...) im-590 is very much reminding me of the HD650. they are very balanced sounding across the whole specturm and have a very similar bass quantity/quality to the HD650 imo,very good deep noted production.

perhaps the shure SE530 would also fit the bill here but they are much more expensive.

Apr 25, 2010 at 6:18 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ductrung3993 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SE530 is not that much more expensive, you can find new one at Amazon for $254 and used 'd obviously be less and whatever, IE8's usually more expensive but used one are still < $250

i think he means relative to the im-590s, which are about $60
tongue.gif

Apr 25, 2010 at 6:25 AM Post #5 of 13
I own the HD650 new and older version and a pair of real IE8's. That's probably the closest IEM I've owned that compares to the HD650 (owned tf10, re0, nuforce ne6 cyclone pr1 pro, shure 530, ie8, fischer audio eterna). The shures sound kinda similar to the HD650's a bit too but I would still go with the IE8's (better less annoying cord and is removable which I feel is a huge buying factor).

I also own a sansa clip (older version not the +) and the IE8's sound good with it I like to put a fiio E5 onto the back of it to give it a little bit more power.

Apr 25, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #8 of 13
It is a toss up between the IE8 and the SE530's for me. I have some sort of instinctual attraction to the Shures for some inexplicable reason, but the IE8's really seem like what I am looking for. Those detachable cables really sound like a great idea (I am not patient enough to wait for the SE535 nor willing to pay their probable premium).

From reading other threads, I believe the SE530's have better isolation, which is important to me since I will use these on planes and buses as well as in the library where I will want to block out most noises. How much worse are the IE8's? Still good for plane use?

Apr 25, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by FraGGleR /img/forum/go_quote.gif

From reading other threads, I believe the SE530's have better isolation, which is important to me since I will use these on planes and buses as well as in the library where I will want to block out most noises. How much worse are the IE8's? Still good for plane use?

IIRC the IE8s are open, so I wouldn't anticipate excellent isolation, and some sound leakage. However, I have no first hand experience, so I'm no real authority.

Apr 25, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #10 of 13
IE8s with Sony Hybrid tips isolate decently well. Not as much as SE530 or W3, but good enough for me on planes. Down the road you can always get ACS custom tips if you don't like the isolation.

I've only heard the HD650 a few times but it seems to share the same warmth and silky vocals. Midbass is probably much more intrusive with IE8, but the right tips (I like ebay biflanges) will ameliorate this problem somewhat, at the cost of some isolation. Any player with decent EQ (ie not stock ipod) will fix this too.

Apr 25, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #11 of 13
Isolation as others say is terrible on the ie8.I want to get an iem that isolates well and complement the ie8.
The ie8 is darker than the hd650 with less detail and thicker mids,but they are very similar.

Apr 26, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj nellie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IE8s with Sony Hybrid tips isolate decently well. Not as much as SE530 or W3, but good enough for me on planes. Down the road you can always get ACS custom tips if you don't like the isolation.

I've only heard the HD650 a few times but it seems to share the same warmth and silky vocals. Midbass is probably much more intrusive with IE8, but the right tips (I like ebay biflanges) will ameliorate this problem somewhat, at the cost of some isolation. Any player with decent EQ (ie not stock ipod) will fix this too.

I'm stick with Sony Hybrid tips. feel that bass amount will increase but overall still not bad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back