IEM Safety?
Dec 15, 2016 at 8:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

pfurey89

500+ Head-Fier
Hey all, not sure if this has been discussed before, as I'm sure it has. I was wondering how 'unsafe' it was listening to IEMs for extended periods of time. I have the Vega and 846 currently and after a full day of listening at I'd say moderate levels, my ears have been ringing a bit. I've never really experienced this sensation before from a headphone, but I've also been extremely into music lately and listening a lot more than I did in the past (thanks, Vega!). 

Thoughts?

The ADEL tech is seeming more and more valuable now after this experience.

Dec 15, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #2 of 3
I think volume has more to do with causing ear problems than the length of time. Higher volume over long periods of time can cause problems.

Dec 16, 2016 at 4:41 AM Post #3 of 3
Try taking a break every hour or so for at least 15 minutes, also keep the volume levels sensible, if you're listening loud trying to extract loads of detail 'don't do it' for long periods. It's really a case of common sense, the body/ears will emit warnings they're becoming fatigued, this is usually when you feel that need to stop. Main thing is keep the volume low as possible while enjoyable,your ears ringing and (or) feeling hot is not good.

Ultimately, a few friends and I want to achieve a performance level where we hear all the detail and get satisfaction at low levels. If you think sound quality is all about listening loud you've got the wrong idea. With my Tralucent IEMs they sound just as satisfying/ detailed at low levels, music you 'feel' not just hear, almost like an atmosphere of thier signature so I feel I'm at that stage. And sure, they excel at higher volumes as well but I need both qualities in my experience to label an IEM worthy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back