IEM replacement for Shure SE530 (sub-$200)
Nov 30, 2012 at 8:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Hank_Venture

100+ Head-Fier
Looking for a new set to replace my Shure 530's, they've been very good to me (Originally purchased from ebay in August 2008) and I was pretty rough with them at times. Cable is cracked some on the left, noise appearing in the right. Still working but I anticipate failure in the near future.

The R-50's from Rockit Sounds mentioned in the roundup thread sound pretty nice, is there much of a loss from a Triple to Dual driver?

Running through RSA P-51 and Ipod/Rockbox. The bass problem with Shure never bothered me all too much, but wouldn't mind getting a very similar sound with better bass.

Preferably with good tip options, currently use the triple flange for shures. Appreciate any help.

Nov 30, 2012 at 8:32 AM Post #2 of 8
The GR07, RE272, GR01, Sony EX7550 are great sounding IEMs and comparable to the SE530 in term of soundquality with good bass response and they improve more with AMPs help.

Nov 30, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:
Looking for a new set to replace my Shure 530's, they've been very good to me (Originally purchased from ebay in August 2008) and I was pretty rough with them at times. Cable is cracked some on the left, noise appearing in the right. Still working but I anticipate failure in the near future.
The R-50's from Rockit Sounds mentioned in the roundup thread sound pretty nice, is there much of a loss from a Triple to Dual driver?
Running through RSA P-51 and Ipod/Rockbox. The bass problem with Shure never bothered me all too much, but wouldn't mind getting a very similar sound with better bass.
Preferably with good tip options, currently use the triple flange for shures. Appreciate any help.

IF it's just the cable that's the issue and you still like the shures you could always get them reshelled into customs with the likes of Inearz and Unique Melody :)

Nov 30, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #4 of 8
I haven't tried the SE530, only the SE535, so I'll compared the R-50 with the later: the Rock-IT R-50 are more detailed, with a less congested soundstage and both better positioning and instrument separation. The midrange is good, but by no means as thick as it is in the Shures. The highs are much more pronounced, so if you're used to the Shure's signature, you will probably won't like these.

Another option would be the RE-262, which are very mid-centric, but again, not as thick-sounding as the Shures. The HiFiMANs are more detailed, and the soundstage is better too. I remember when I tried the Shures I found their sound way too intimate. Everything sounded in the middle of my head (some people like that, I know, but that's not my case).

Nov 30, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #5 of 8
This is easy, the TDK BA200 would be the ideal replacement if your wanting the same sound signature.  The BA200 has great sounding mids that are forward, maybe not as forward as the Shure but they isolate vocal better than any IEM I've ever heard.  Amazon has the fro $149 which is a great price so if you want a SE530 replacement under $200 thoughs are your best option imo.

Dec 1, 2012 at 5:43 AM Post #6 of 8
The GR07, RE272, GR01, Sony EX7550 are great sounding IEMs and comparable to the SE530 in term of soundquality with good bass response and they improve more with AMPs help.

Thanks you for the picks. The GR line set seem pretty popular. It is a dark day when I forget to charge my P-51 after a bunch of days of use.

IF it's just the cable that's the issue and you still like the shures you could always get them reshelled into customs with the likes of Inearz and Unique Melody :)

From what I've read that can be pricey and I would just like a comparable or better daily driver. I will have to check it out again but I figured if I ever went the custom route at some point, it would be full on and not reworking of a set. Having the 530's without extra cost as a backup is ideal for me.

I haven't tried the SE530, only the SE535, so I'll compared the R-50 with the later: the Rock-IT R-50 are more detailed, with a less congested soundstage and both better positioning and instrument separation. The midrange is good, but by no means as thick as it is in the Shures. The highs are much more pronounced, so if you're used to the Shure's signature, you will probably won't like these.

Another option would be the RE-262, which are very mid-centric, but again, not as thick-sounding as the Shures. The HiFiMANs are more detailed, and the soundstage is better too. I remember when I tried the Shures I found their sound way too intimate. Everything sounded in the middle of my head (some people like that, I know, but that's not my case).

Looks like two recommendations for a HIfiman product. Thanks for the comments on the R-50's, I don't mean to stigmatize my preferences and I think the shures have areas that need work. It might be also that these were my first and only IEM's so far, so my ears even after all this time are still novice to what I can hear. I get that middle of the head feeling, it was a nice departure from the right and left of a standard set of earbuds.

This is easy, the TDK BA200 would be the ideal replacement if your wanting the same sound signature.  The BA200 has great sounding mids that are forward, maybe not as forward as the Shure but they isolate vocal better than any IEM I've ever heard.  Amazon has the fro $149 which is a great price so if you want a SE530 replacement under $200 thoughs are your best option imo.

Didn't even know TDK was in the IEM game and those look pretty damn nice, I think I'll tack that on top of the R-50's right now while I look at all the others mentioned. Strong contender from what I've read so far though, thanks!

Dec 1, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #7 of 8
Oh I almost forgot, you could also have btg-audio have a look and see if they can do the removeable cables on your shure se530s if you like them that much, or want a back up pair.

Dec 1, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #8 of 8
Oh I almost forgot, you could also have btg-audio have a look and see if they can do the removeable cables on your shure se530s if you like them that much, or want a back up pair.

Will keep that in mind, as I mentioned I don't mean to seem stuck to one sound. Just haven't stretched my feet enough and I figured a similar but better quality would be a good next step.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back