IEM Recommendations for XDP-100R
Jan 24, 2018 at 5:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

_Bionic_

New Head-Fier
Hi folks,

I have a Pioneer XDP-100R which I use to listen to all my music, it's a combination of 16/24bit FLAC and 16bit MP3's. At home, I listen with Sony MDR-1A cans but at work I am currently using some AKG IEM's which were bundled in with my Samsung S8 phone. At the moment I'm using a maximum volume of 140 out of 160, so whatever the impedance rating of the AKG's are, are driven sufficiently well for this DAP. However, I feel that although the sound quality is adequate for a mobile phone, it may not be acceptable for what I have.

I'm looking to buy some IEM's below £150 which can be driven by my DAP (impedance rating 16~300 Ohm). I do not use, nor do I wish to use an amp, as I need to keep my DAP in my pocket during my commute and while listening at work. I don't listen to any specific genre of music, so I'm looking for a nice balanced set of IEM's, but would like to have more emphasis on the mids and lows if possible. I've linked some songs from my current "now listening to" so that you have an idea of the type of music I listen to, so check them out below.

Hopefully someone can recommend a suitable pair that would sound great with my setup and would be well suited for some of the music I've listed, even better if you have an XDP-100R and have a great pair that work. If there are a pair of IEM's which are above my budget (e.g. £180) but you feel they knock a £140 pair out of the park, please feel free to recommend them and tell me why you think they are worth more. Please also include any EQ settings that you think make a marked improvement when using a particular pair.

Looking forward to your comments!

Current music:
  • Battlefield 1 OST

• Doom 2016 OST

• Endless Summer - The Midnight

• The Resistance - Muse

• Wild World - Bastille

Jan 24, 2018 at 9:58 PM Post #2 of 3
Given your budget and the music you seem to listen to, my recommendation would be for a 1More Quad Driver. I personally believe it is quite possibly the best under $200 IEM on the market. That's just me, others may feel differently/ . Read about it and see what you think. It is possible it could work.

Jan 25, 2018 at 6:57 AM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for you recommendation Serman, and funnily enough, I had been reading a few reviews on the 1MORE triple driver. The prices of the Triple Driver vs. the Quad Driver here in the UK are £85.14 and £155.99 respectively (Amazon UK) and £74.99 and £149.99 respectively (1MORE UK store), so definitely within my budget. After reading numerous reviews on these two IEM's this morning I've come to the same conclusion as you. Reviewers seem to give these a lot of praise since they rival some of the more expensive IEM's so I'm looking forward to trying them out! I will report back with my comments on these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back