IEM Pain (RE262)
Mar 3, 2012 at 5:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

suitheist

New Head-Fier
I have just bought my first IEMs (RE262), which I love for the SQ, but which are causing quite a lot of discomfort for my ears.

I have tried all the tips in the box (small/med/large normal tips and med/large biflanges), and only the smallest non-biflange tips fit easily into my ears. Oddly, my left ear seems to accommodate a slightly larger tip than my right. Having worn the medium biflanges for a bit, my right ear felt quite painful and this spread to my jaw muscle- the jaw pain only lasted about half an hour, but my ear still aches a bit after two days (though i've continued using the small tips in that time). Wearing the IEMs upside down seems to allow a better fit, but i'd much rather wear them down. 

Is this normal for a first experience of IEMs and will I adjust, or do i need to find new tips for the 262s? Aside from the the pain, I liked the deap fit of the biflanges. Are there any good small sized ones that I could get?

Mar 3, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #2 of 5
If the 262s come with foam tips, you should try those. They are usually a lot more comfortable than silicone flanged tips. You'll feel a little different if you're not used to them at first, but then they start to feel natural. Wearing upside down also helps with the fit as the body of the IEM is not obstructed by the tragus (the bit of cartilage sticking out next to the ear canal). Also, in case of the larger hifiman biflanges, I feel that a shallower insertion provides a better fit and sound.

Mar 3, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #3 of 5
The tips are all silicone, but I have been trying the smallest tips upside down again with the channel reverse adapter and I think this is going to be the best option. It feels much more comfortable. I'm just going to have to get used to wearing them that way up.

Thanks for the advice!

Mar 3, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #4 of 5
I had the same problem too. I've came to the conclusion that my ears don't like wide nozzle IEMs very much, and a "balanced" fit is almost impossible to achieve within a short period of time. I even ordered MEelec's 10 pack of tips that fit the RE262 perfectly, yet still, none quite fit my ear. I guess if you have a bit of cash, you could get that same 10 pack, and you'll probably have much better luck getting a good fit. Otherwise, I'll second what's been said about wearing them upside down. I get a much easier fit that way as opposed to straight down.

Mar 6, 2012 at 8:54 AM Post #5 of 5
If it hurts, you need to stop using the tips, I think your best bet is to try some shure olives (foam) or some shure silicon eartips (for e2c), both can be found on ebay. looking at the size of the small double flangs, either at medium size will do, foam are definitely more comfortable, which i am currently using, but silicon is the easy solution and saves you from possible problems with fit when decoring the olives

Users who are viewing this thread

Back