iem help for a beginner audiophile
Aug 14, 2010 at 7:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

xXFallenAngelXx

500+ Head-Fier
Hey Im pretty new to the forum and was looking for some iem help..I currently only have a droid and an ipod and was wondering if i should higher end iems. My music is compressed all above/around 200kbps and was wondering if the sound would still be good..If not what iems would you reccomendRemove Poll

Aug 14, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #2 of 47
You will just have to find forgiving IEMs. They do exist. What is your budget? What sort of sound signature do your favor? What music do you mainly listen to? All these questions will narrow down what you should get.

Aug 14, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #3 of 47
They won't sound too bad, my worst rips are around 220k VBR and they are acceptable. Of course, look for the best you can find/fit. The difference does shock.

Aug 15, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #5 of 47
You won't notice artifacts unless you know how to listen for them at bitrates above 128kb. Don't bother reading about them... they are trivial.

VBR encoding is very very good. If people blind A/B test their mp3s even on the highest end stuff they can't distinguish 95% of the time, and when they do distinguish, its on those trivial flaws in mp3.

Aug 16, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #6 of 47
I mostly listen to some rock,jpop,pop, some classic but I'm really looking for something that will bring out the vocals in anything. I'm 15 so I don't exactly have the fullest wallet...don't worry about the hurting..it already started..The main headphone I'm using are the cx500s and I found them to be really nice but it doesn't seem to have a wide soundstage and isn't that clear. My budget is not certain right now but with my bday and xmas combined I usually ger around $800..but its still august but i can always wait..Right now I'm thinking of getting the S4s because i've read a lot of good things about them on the forum and cnet.Btw I rechecked my mp3s and it turns out the majority is 320kbps so it should be fine..i can tell the difference between 128kkbps and 320kbos...but when its between 250 and up..i can't really tell...At first I was thinking of getting some low end shures but they don't seem to be favored 310- plus i think they're discontinued..Thx for the help and I'm looking forward to some more imput

Aug 16, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #7 of 47
So is your budget $800, or do you want to try something good under, say, $100?

Aug 16, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #9 of 47
Then check out the Fischer Audio DBA-02, Radius DDM, etc.

Check out these two review threads:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/450407/multiple-iem-shootout-v-3

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478568/multi-iem-review-98-iems-compared-xears-td100-ecci-pr300-visang-r01-added-08-11

Aug 16, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #10 of 47
thx for the help virtuoso...i'll definitely check them out..this will definitely be a long time for now..probably more realistic when I get a job in like 10 years...but are the JH16pro something to keep in mind in the not so near future..i know they're customs

Aug 17, 2010 at 7:31 PM Post #14 of 47
I think for the genres you listed, the RE0s would be nice.  I listen to some semi bass heavy stuff like Bloc Party and The Prodigy, and I like the sound I get from them. I don't use an EQ either.  I've learned to appreciate the bass they have, even after listening to my M50s.

Quote:
they are excellent, but some desire more bass hence the amp suggestion too.  with it you can add in bass as you want it

Aug 17, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #15 of 47
Quote:
are the RE-0s good..i've heard a lot of good and bad things on them but there was never a mutual agreement..though its all up to opinion in the end i guess 

Yes they are good, but make sure you give them 100 hrs to settle down a bit.
It depends what you plug them into and how or if you EQ them, oh and personal preference, but plenty of bass in my ears
L3000.gif
, and i like the bass to grunt and also have detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back