IEM for Symphonic Metal, Rock, plus occasional Trance and Soundtrack Orchestral?
Jul 20, 2014 at 12:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

cstjean

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

I'm looking for an IEM for my workplace and am looking for some opinions.  Given that I can't bring my HE-500s to work (oh how they have spoiled me...) I am considering the VSonic GR07 (BE or regular), JVC HA-FXT90, or Yamaha EPH-100s.  I typically listen to metal (bands like Insomnium (a melodic death metal band with orchestral backings), In This Moment, etc) but also want something that at least isn't the worst thing in the world for the occasional trance (e.g. Armin Van Buuren) and soundtrack orchestral pieces.  In the $100-$200 price range (though flexible if truly worth it) can someone recommend an IEM that might fit what I'm looking for?  The GR07, HA-FXT90, and EPH-100s seem like decent fits but I'm certainly open to other suggestions.

Thank you!

EDIT:  On the workplace comment, I don't need to drown anything out - I'm a software architect so just occasional talking near me.  I just want to replace my current set with an IEM and the Senn HD 598s haven't fit my musical preferences as well as I was hoping.

Jul 20, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #2 of 5
After doing more research I'm even more at a loss as what to get... The V-MODA Vibrato, Klipsch Image X7i, KEF M200, RHA MA750i, XBA-3iP, and Onkyo IE-CTI300 have all been added to my radar. Any help based on my musical preferences? Leaning towards the EPH-100, KEF M200, and the Onkyos but I have no idea...

Jul 21, 2014 at 1:07 AM Post #3 of 5
The Shure SE420/425 have really good, extended and airy treble that is fantastic with the (female) vocals, strings, and lead guitars of symphonic metal (also with prog and power metal), however some may find the percussion a bit lacking compared to, say, the SE535 or UM3X. They were enough for me though, but I only liked the olive tips (which is pretty much true for a lot of people with Shures anyways).

Jul 22, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #4 of 5
I would avoid the KEF. They're too weird to put in and take out. Not great for a work environment where a colleague can interrupt you. Plus, they sound terrible with orchestras. Everything's there (highs,lows,mids) but strings have an ugly glaze over them, brass a frosty edge... and to really get them at their best, I find I have to push the volume to dangerously high levels. if you can tolerate that, they do sound really good with hard rock (can't speak for metal). But again, at high volumes.

The RHA MA750 are the stunner of the year for me. They sound very good with any genre (although they seem slightly better suited to Hans Zimmer than say Max Steiner, they're still very good with pure orchestral music) and at that price, they're a steal. I haven't experienced any issues with the RHA as I have with the KEF (glazed sound, ugly unnatural tones).

I'm unfamiliar with your other choices, so can't comment.

Dec 12, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #5 of 5
Hey, I realize I'm a few months late to this party but as a fellow Insomnium fan and extreme metal connoisseur in general, I just wanted to say that you probably can't go wrong with either the JVC HA-FXT90s or the RHA MA750s.  The sub-bass extension of the MA750s trounces the slightly punchier mid-bass of the FXT90s; both have rich mids and at least adequate treble extension (but let's be honest here: Insomnium's cymbals are horribly recorded.  No IEM on earth can save them).

I feel like the sound stage is larger in the MA750s, which are also more comfortable to wear for long periods and even to sleep in.  Additionally, their build quality and tip assortment are absolutely spectacular—totally unrivaled at their price point, from what I've seen.  The major advantage of the FXT-90s is their particular "voice," or timbre: it's thick and edgy, giving distorted guitars a serious presence.

Anyway, I hope I'm not so late that this qualifies as a "necrobump" or offends anyone here.  I just don't run into too many people name-dropping my favorite obscure Finnish metal band on a daily basis, much less asking questions about IEMs that I'm actually qualified to answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back