IEM for gaming
Feb 15, 2008 at 11:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

New Head-Fier
hi, on recommendations from the forum years ago i got a pair of a500s for pc gaming mainly - cpma vq3 and quake 4. sound positions been great, and they've really served me well
smily_headphones1.gif

i've just moved to uni and couldn't bring them along. i'm hoping to get a pair of IEMs to continue playing again and positioning (not bass) is really critical to me. it can't use an amp as the lan competition might not allow one.

currently i'm slightly leaning towards the er6is cos i've heard good things, pity the cable is a bit short and i'll probably use an extender at lans [would there be any problems with this?]
other alternatives i'm considering are the shures 210 or their gaming series??
i'm new to ultimate years but the price looks attractive, don't know anything about them, would they be good?

i'm looking to spend about £80, probably order online from iheadphone.co.uk could any gamers here give me your suggestions? thanks mates

Feb 16, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #2 of 22
I dont think you want er6i for gaming, at that price im716 would be better. But ask people around for soundstage, although really rare with iems, maybe some know of an iem with a bit of stage

Feb 16, 2008 at 5:03 AM Post #4 of 22
ER-6i's have much better soundstage than SF3's, not to mention the Ety's have a fairly long cable compared to most. (5 feet).

Feb 16, 2008 at 5:04 AM Post #5 of 22
Save up for the ER4S. The last time I played a PC game (1 year ago and it was Max Payne 2) I used the ER4s, liked them better than my SE530's, they sounded sharper and the gun shots sounded real. With the Se530's they sounded muffled, oh and it was very hissy because of the high sensitivity of the Shures.

Feb 16, 2008 at 5:58 AM Post #6 of 22
I don't play games often, but the etymotic er6is have really really good positioning and the sounds are very separated and clear

Feb 16, 2008 at 2:07 PM Post #7 of 22
thanks for all the comments and suggestions
smily_headphones1.gif

i'm kind of leaning towards the er6i as it's within my budget, plus i wear glasses sometimes so over-ear designs might be a bother. hoping to make the purchase for the er6i this month and will definitely compare it with the a500s performance on games. really curious to see if iems work in gaming, chugging headphones around is such a bother at times!

Feb 16, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #11 of 22
I tried my livewires for games a few times, a little half life 2 and also some IL2 (flight sim). While they sounded ok, i was very conscious of them, especially when the action got intense and my heart rate went up, i could feel my pulse inside my ear canals which was very distracting. Something to bear in mind.

Mar 10, 2008 at 1:06 AM Post #13 of 22
EDGE Acoustics is the new gaming division of Etymotic Research. The GX400 is a result of my having used ER-4P's successfully in tournaments for several years and our clan finding them to provide a distinct advantage over other products.

Check out the website for details. You can read any number of the reviews that have come out. All of them have been great including the comments from owners posting on Amazon (our launch partner).

If I can answer any questions, let me know.

Rich Heimlich
EDGE Acoustics
856-857-1777 (my desk)

Mar 10, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by apnk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Save up for the ER4S. The last time I played a PC game (1 year ago and it was Max Payne 2) I used the ER4s, liked them better than my SE530's, they sounded sharper and the gun shots sounded real. With the Se530's they sounded muffled, oh and it was very hissy because of the high sensitivity of the Shures.

I agree you don't want a warm bass heavy sound signature for gaming. I use my Grado's for gaming, granted they have a wider soundstage but the treble emphasis on the SR-60s is the tonality you're going for. The ety's would be good for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back