IEM Deciding problem
Aug 21, 2012 at 7:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

kapooon

New Head-Fier
Hey head-fi'ers!

After 1 years and 11 months my Ultimate Ears super.fi 5 died on me. I still had 1 month of guarantee so I sent them back, but they couldn't repair them. They don't sell them anymore either, so I got my money back in the form of a voucher (€140), so this is a nice chance to upgrade a bit. It were my first 'expensive' iem's. I did like them, but I didn't have a wow-feeling, mainly because of a fit issue in 1 ear (always came out a bit after a few minutes).
So now I'm looking for a new pair, but unfortunately I have to buy them at the same store (which is very expensive :frowning2: and not many to choose from).

The choices I have:

sennheiser ie 80      €299
monster miles davis  €299
shure se425            €279
klipsch image x10i    €249
MTPG                     €229
B&W C5                  €179
shure se315            €159
Etymotic Hf3           €149
sennheiser ie 60       €149

Main use: travelling (also by bus) so isolation is a factor. 
Main music: electronic, hip-hop so bass is a must, but I wouldn't call myself a basshead at all. I don't like it too analytical/flat either, they have to sound fun but accurate.
I always had some fit issues with my super.Fi 5's in 1 ear, so fit is actually the main factor for me.
Source: mainly HTC One S with lossless files (no amp).

I've read about 200 reviews about them but I really can not decide. The main problem is that I can't TRY any of them and I don't have that many experience with the specific sound signatures of them. 
Maybe a useless comparison, but I own the AIAIAI TMA-1 and I like them very much (perfect amount of bass but still pretty balanced to my ears).

So taking this all into account, what would you guys recommend? Would it be worth upgrading and investing a bit more money (with the little experience I have) upon the €140?
At the moment I'm leaning towards the klipsch x10i, chiefly because of the comfort but I've read they arent that durable and the buttons don't work on android, and when adding €100 I want to be sure about it. CHOICES CHOICES.

Thanks in advance anyway.

Aug 21, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #2 of 6
The only IEM's I've heard are the ie 80 and the shures.

sennheiser ie 80      €299 - rich, bassy, roomy, fun?, basshead
monster miles davis  €299 - prefer ie80.
shure se425            €279 - dual driver, reasonably balanced. Possibly your best bet.
klipsch image x10i    €249 - single micro driver. TINY. Bassy. Consumer IEM.
MTPG                     €229 - A top tier IEM contender. You might want to look into this one
B&W C5                  €179 - never heard
shure se315            €159 - very mid centric single driver. Not very good.
Etymotic Hf3           €149 - Classic Etymotic sound (analytical). I would buy these personally being a referency-analytical listener.
sennheiser ie 60       €149 - never heard

That's a short summary of what I think. I'm not an IEM guru so you'll have to look into the individual IEMs. Check out Joker's multi-review.

Aug 21, 2012 at 9:37 AM Post #3 of 6
MTPG: read about any review of it. A lot of fitting issues is the thing that keeps me off.. I don't like the blingbling look either, but that is not too big of a deal I guess
Shures: I don't think it's worth the extra €140, do you? Especially because it's more a 'hate or love it' iem if I have to believe the reviews.
Etimotics: Really considering these too cause I have nothing to spend so nothing to lose, but I'm afraid they'll miss the bass for the kind of music I listen..I do like the lightness for travelling though
edit: Apparently there are a lot of compatibility issues with the hf3 and non-apple products..jesus, I won't find anything that suits me :p

Aug 21, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #4 of 6
As far as fit goes with the MTPG, I had the Monster Turbines and never really got any of their tips to fit well.  But I just got some Comply foams instead and there was no problem with the fit once I had those.  There really are a lot of size options (though I prefer Comply for most IEMs anyway).  I know the MTPG are pretty well reviewed and my Turbines were pretty great IEMs.  For the music you list, I'd have to imagine they're right up your alley.

Aug 22, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #5 of 6
Thanks for the opinions! I don't think I see myself walking down the streets with those golden things though! 
It's probably gonna be the klipsch, unless someone thinks it wouldn't be worth the extra money in comparison with the ety's of ie 60.

Aug 22, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
Thanks for the opinions! I don't think I see myself walking down the streets with those golden things though! 
It's probably gonna be the klipsch, unless someone thinks it wouldn't be worth the extra money in comparison with the ety's of ie 60.

Do not go for SE425 if you're looking for bass. They're very bass-neutral, so you won't feel the 'thump'.
You might want to take a look at the SE535.

Other than that Sennheisers usually have a slight emphasis on bass-mids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back