IEM and Headphone sound quality at what price points
Apr 25, 2008 at 12:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

uberstuber

100+ Head-Fier
Around what price points would one expect generally similar sound quality from both IEMs and Open Headphones? (e.g. $100 open headphone is about $??? IEM)

I realize that IEMs and Open headphones have much different sounds, and generally its cheaper to get good sound from open headphones, but I thought a general price match like this may be useful. And yes any estimates people make will be very vague, that's fine.

More specifically to me, I'm looking for a pair of IEMs with about the same sound quality as my grado sr-60 (I'm not looking for grado sound in an IEM, just general quality). I'd use Zen Vision:M line out to cmoy or just out of the headphone jack.

Apr 25, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #2 of 4
its not a simple math, but in lower prices (>$200), usually Opens sound better...
Giving a leap ($300-400), IEMs will take more space, with Westone UM2, Triple.Fi and SE530... so fight is tighter...
I'm sure Triple.Fi beats most closed cans below $400, but im not sure about opens.

Apr 25, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #3 of 4
For good vocal reproduction like the Grados, I've found the Ety 4P closer to my liking after trading-in my MS-1 as I needed something more portable and better isolation when on the move.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back