IEC connectors
Sep 30, 2008 at 4:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

wolf18t

100+ Head-Fier
Anybody know the existence of a 115V IEC panel socket that could be installed in a regular round hole? Cutting a clean rectangular shape on a panel using a drill and dremel isn't quite easy to do. Or any workaround beside FPE and metal shop?

Sep 30, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf18t /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anybody know the existence of a 115V IEC panel socket that could be installed in a regular round hole? Cutting a clean rectangular shape on a panel using a drill and dremel isn't quite easy to do. Or any workaround beside FPE and metal shop?

either make a captive power cord, or use the Neutrik PowerCon connectors, which are round and then make a custom power cord. I've done the latter and really like the way it turned out.

Sep 30, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #3 of 11
What is the panel material? Nibblers (and patience) work well for softer materials such as aluminum, up to about 4mm thick or so (thinner is better). Even radioshack sells a nibbler. Otherwise, as luvdunhill recommends, captive or Neutrik powercon.

BTW, anyone have panel mount IECs that they like alot?

Sep 30, 2008 at 11:14 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is the panel material? Nibblers (and patience) work well for softer materials such as aluminum, up to about 4mm thick or so (thinner is better). Even radioshack sells a nibbler. Otherwise, as luvdunhill recommends, captive or Neutrik powercon.

Nibbler tool? It's new to me. How long does it usually take to cut a common IEC hole? I'm planning my next build (CK2III) and I should use a common hammond case.

Oct 1, 2008 at 4:12 AM Post #5 of 11
A nibbler tool nibbles small chunks (maybe 1/8" square) out of the material. You drill a hole large enough to get the nibbler in; or you can drill multiple holes if that makes it easier. You can walk it down a line, etc. Needs some clean up with a file. For an IEC it would take maybe 15 minutes or less to do.

Oct 1, 2008 at 5:52 AM Post #6 of 11
Get a nice one so it doesn't end up with pieces of metal stuck in the cutting guide and so it wont chew the **** out of your project. A good one will make it much easier to cut a straight line. That will save you a lot of time filling away at uneven cuts.

Oct 1, 2008 at 6:19 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vladco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you try jigsaw and brand new blade?
Vlad

This. If you use an appropriate blade, you can take it slow with a jigsaw and make a fairly straight cut. Then spend $5-$10 for a flat file, the wider the better. Cut just inside the hole and file it smooth. Filing doesn't take that long and it produces excellent results.

Another option is finding a square chassis punch. They do exist, but you'll have to pay $40-$80 for one.

Oct 1, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #9 of 11
try a coping saw with a fine blade (depends on thickness). It works, takes some patience. Drill the corners (use some CAD program to not exceed the size of the IEC and make a template and score the material with a scratch awl) and cut slowly from hole to hole. File down, square file for the corners. Dremel with a sanding roll to smooth over. It's not as pretty as a punch, but it works fine.

Oct 1, 2008 at 11:14 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by kklee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find a Dremel works the best for me. I don't drill any pilot holes, I just lay out the hole and cut it out. A little filing and I'm done.

Using the right cutting disks makes a big difference. I use these:
426 1-1/4" Fiberglass Reinforced Cut-off Wheels, 5 Pack / Model: 426

A Dremel is what I've used for my B22. But I found quite tedious and it took me a lot more than 15 minutes. Perhaps that was my cutting disk

DCP_1427-vi.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get a nice one so it doesn't end up with pieces of metal stuck in the cutting guide and so it wont chew the **** out of your project. A good one will make it much easier to cut a straight line. That will save you a lot of time filling away at uneven cuts.

Do you have suggestion for a good one and online?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back