IE8's a disapointment.
Oct 8, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #31 of 43
When I remove them from my ears there is some resistance and hear a 'pop' when they are finally removed. Out of all of the tips that I have tried, it only occurs with the black soft flex sleeves. I would consider it a seal and not with the other tips that I have tried. I agree that they don't isolate well but it can be improved. It will never isolate as well as the ER4's and SE530's.

Oct 8, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #32 of 43
I wear my PXC 450s over my IE8 from time to time. Best of both worlds

Oct 9, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #33 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gbjerke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wear my PXC 450s over my IE8 from time to time. Best of both worlds

I do that sometimes when I'm taking the local buses too. Especially the double deckers around here are very noisy and it really helps. Alas, they also make my ears get very hot so I suppose I'll have to wait until winter to do it much.

Oct 9, 2009 at 8:20 AM Post #34 of 43
Just an advice: wait and listen. My initial reaction to them (after er4p) was like yours. I wanted just to get rid of them immediately. I glad that I didn't, and I got several IEMs after that. None of them in use now, or sold, but IE8 is my favorite (after baby stax).

Yes, it sounds unnaturally thick in midrange, and it lacks treble, and bass is too much, but it has SOMETHING in it's sound that make you want to listen, and it is still the best of universals in my opinion.

Oct 12, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #35 of 43
OK, I have been listening to these for a while now and I think I have formed an opinion.
Before we have a firework display I must stress that these are MY veiws and I may well be wrong but they are true for me.
I am 53, so ears prolly are not that great.
These are my first higher end IEM's and I have not heard any others to compare.
I have though been pursuing SQ for many years.
Firstly with a home stereo. Gave up.The sound I want would cost around 10k.
Then ICE. I finally have a superb sound in my van. After years of experimentation, quite a lot of money and a very knowledgeable friend.
The music I listen to is mainly Rock. Ranging from Tom Petty Radiohead through ZZ Top, Pink Floyd, Yello. Various electronic stuff, some Blues, SRV... And of course the man in my avatar, although I could listen to him on a transistor radio in a dustbin and still enjoy.
So anyway. The IE8's have had 100hrs+ burn in. They are now markedly different to the way they sounded straight out of the box.
IMHO, Burn in was most marked after 10hrs and again after 30. Beyond that, I could not honestly say wether it is just me getting used to them. They do sound pretty damn nice now.
However. I still say that they are a dissapointment after reading such effusive reviews of them, both on here and elswhere.
Firstly, some things that I have learned about HiFi.
1) Everybody must hear things differently. I have heard really hi end rigs that I could not bear to listen to. Linn for instance. Yet other people love the sound.
2) I do not believe that you have to "get used to a sound signature". If I like something, it puts a grin on my face straight away.
Back to the IE8's. Am I keeping them? Yes. Would I recommend them? Not necessarily.
They do sound very good if you are careful with depth of insertion. The soundstage is not "immense" IMHO.
Bass is not bad but they do not reproduce much sub bass.
The bass tuning screw gives me the option of muddy or muddier.
Left at minimum things are OK. Not incredible.
Basically these have not blown me away.
I do not believe that the designers at Sennheiser intended this product to be listened to with a less than complete seal.
I do not know what they think that they have achieved with that bass tuning screw.
I would prefer a simple blister pack and a price reduction rather than the overblown presentation case that they come in, which will reside in my loft.
So why am I keeping them?
Because I think that a lot of my problem is far too high expectation.
Thinking that £200 is an awful lot of money to pay for an IEM.
In reality, I suspect that any IEM at this price point is going to be a compromise. Hopefully doing some things very well.
The 'phones suit my ears very well. Got a nice snug fit easily with the standard silicone tips.
The IE8's are really well built.
They sound way better than my CX300's!
So to sum up. Ignore the hyperbole and you may be quite pleased. That is all.
regular_smile .gif

Oct 14, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #36 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by krismusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do not believe that the designers at Sennheiser intended this product to be listened to with a less than complete seal.

I'm sure they did, and it written somewhere in the manual, that you don't need to push it too deep inside.
Quote:

I do not know what they think that they have achieved with that bass tuning screw.

Most DAPs are bright, sterile sounding (iphone, ipod), IE8 can compensate these qualities. Combining with shallow fit, bass screw might be helpful sometimes. Also, what I have learned, that perception of bass on the street is very different from in quiet room. Extra warmth is very appreciated outside, probably because of external low frequency noises (trains, cars, your own steps). Bass gets lost outside.

Quote:

They also sound better then HD25 and some other full sized phones, but don't expect too much. they sound worse then any Stax, HD650, K701, etc.

Oct 14, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #37 of 43
Thanks for taking the time out to reply.
smile.gif
I think that "don't expect too much" is key. having said all that I posted, I am enjoying these 'phones. Just not the aural sex that I was hoping for.
darthsmile.gif

Oct 15, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #39 of 43
Quote:

However. I still say that they are a dissapointment after reading such effusive reviews of them, both on here and elswhere.
2) I do not believe that you have to "get used to a sound signature". If I like something, it puts a grin on my face straight away.
Back to the IE8's. Am I keeping them? Yes. Would I recommend them? Not necessarily.
Basically these have not blown me away.

What?!?!! You're disappointed, not blown away and don't even have a grin on your face, but you're keeping them?

Quote:

Because I think that a lot of my problem is far too high expectation.
Thinking that £200 is an awful lot of money to pay for an IEM.
In reality, I suspect that any IEM at this price point is going to be a compromise. Hopefully doing some things very well.

£200 is a huge amount of money for an IEM. There's no reward or martyr medal for spending huge amounts of money on things you don't love. All 97500 Head-Fiers can go burn with their compromised IEMs, your money is your money, you don't owe Head-Fi anything.

Quote:

The 'phones suit my ears very well. Got a nice snug fit easily with the standard silicone tips.
The IE8's are really well built.

They fit well, are well built, and sound better than CX300's....

That's worth £200 to you?

I'm not trying to tell you how to spend your money, but reading your posts there's only one obvious conclusion in my mind.

wink.gif

EK

[size=xx-small]PS: "You supposed to have a crap seal" is the most unbelievably stupid thing I've ever heard ever. Even my EX90s have better imaging, and my ue700's outclass the IE8's in every possible way. £130, no compromise. Think about it.[/size]

Oct 15, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #40 of 43
have to agree with the Original Poster.
my IE8s is around a 100 hours too, and the bass is just muddy. it's a slow haedphone, veiled sound all over.
it has qualities but some of the lower end IEMs are doing certain things better.

either the IE8 needs a really good source and amp and 500 hours of burn-in (highly doubt it) or it's just not good enough. I lean toward the UM3X or the W3, but I hear bad things about them too.
Image S4 is a didappointment too. next step is going to be a denon. if those fail I sell everything and get a westone. or a highend shure. after that, I don't know...

Oct 15, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #41 of 43
I've got a question.

What's your return policy? I'm of the honest opinion, that if you're not fully/close to fully satisfied at the 100 hour mark, then there really isn't any point in keeping them. Regardless of reason, if it's not working after you've given them a fair shot, don't keep'm.

You can definitely do better for $320, you've got a lot of options out there. Also, i don't know if this has been suggested before in this thread, but $320 can probably get you what you want - in full sized headphones too. Hell, you might just enjoy something at the $100 mark (RE-0), more than your $320 IE-8s.

Audio preference and the opinion of quality is a very personal thing. I'd say try a few options before settling for "good enough".

Oct 15, 2009 at 6:09 AM Post #42 of 43
I say if you like the sound signature of the IE8 but don't like them for some reason or another, get the Shure SE530. This is actually a top-notch IEM but because of how fickle and susceptible to trends and FOTM Head-Fi is, the SE530 lies forgotten among its newer brothers.

IMHO, main differences are the SE530 sounds more neutral, has a better bass response but it's able to portray midrange and guitars very realistically. The IE8 has better headstage and a bit more sparkle at the top end though. Both IEMs share this smooth, slightly dark and easy-going sound signature.

Oct 15, 2009 at 6:46 AM Post #43 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by mvw2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem for most people is the concept of personal preference and automatic bias of that preference. Most folks don't understand that they are in fact very biased listeners. Some people like a lot of bass. Some like lots of highs. Some like to see a very dynamic presentation. Others like a very laid back presentation. It's like pizza. Everyone doesn't like the same stuff.

exactly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back