Ideas for a more full bodied sound
Jan 24, 2008 at 10:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

pbirkett

Headphoneus Supremus
I'll try and keep this to the point.

My source is a DAC, a MF Digilog. This gives a bright, upfront, "fast" paced, dynamic sound (as anyone who has used a TDA1541 DAC will tell you). It undoubtedly gives a tremendous sound to good recordings. Indeed, the general consensus on the 1541A chipset is that it is better than the other TDA154x options and is a genuinely good piece of kit. It enjoys a great synergy with the main amp / speakers that it is staying.

I am currently using an ANT Amber and Senn HD650, which I have been on the whole very happy with. However, I cant help but feel it does not sound as good as my main amp / speakers , which seem to sound still very clean sounding, but with a smoother treble and more full bodied sound overall.

Theres no doubt that there are more details present in the headphone rig, but it seems to lack body, and can make less than ideal recordings sounding a bit "raw", and the bass doesn't seem to fill the sound out as much, sounding cleaner, and perhaps, dare I say a little sterile.

I wouldnt have too much money to try and solve the problem, probably around £250/$500USD, some of which would come from a sale of one item.

Which item I dont know really, which is why I am here asking if anyone has any suggestions. I had half thought about some form of valve amp, or if i kept that particular amp (the ANT, nothing at all wrong with it sonically), then a change of headphones.

If there is a very cheap alternative I could use a second headphone that might help too. Perhaps it is the case where a lot of dance music does not really need the kind of quality the HD650 seems to demand. I am for the record very happy with the HD650 when the quality of the recording is high, but for some reason for me these days it makes more sense as a headphone for listening to audiophile grade recordings, but if there is an alternative that would make the good recordings sound about as good, but make the poor ones sound a lot better (smoother? more full bodied?) then I'd consider that too.

Jan 25, 2008 at 1:57 PM Post #2 of 2
Maybe you should try a tube amp. I have no experience with them, but everything I have read describes the sound you are looking for. You could start by checking out the Little Dot and Darkvoice amps (both well within your budget). I do not think you will find a warmer, fuller headphone without taking a big step back in fidelity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back