Ideal phones for X5?
Sep 20, 2005 at 1:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

MaGG

100+ Head-Fier
I splurged and ordered a 20GB iAudio X5 for myself which arrives later this week... and now I can't decide which headphones to get to go with it.

Originally I wanted a set of IEM's, just because I enjoy the isolation factor and I don't really want something that's not easily portable, as these are for around campus stuff. So I had set on either the Sharp MD33's or [more likely, as the price was better] the Panasonic HJE50's.

But then I read that IEM's are easily damaged if you sweat in them, and given that I live in Arizona and I'm outside on campus, that means I'm going to sweat. So I started looking at the Koss KSC75's, as they are a GREAT value and produce sound that rivals most cans.

Can you Head-Fi'ers help me resolve my decision? Music choice is hardcore / metal, no amp for the phones.

Sep 20, 2005 at 2:07 AM Post #3 of 7
Is it even worth getting a low-to-mid range IEM without an amp to power them? I know the KSC's will shine through to ~$100 range headphones with an amp, but what about IEM's like the E2C's? Amp required?

Sep 20, 2005 at 6:29 AM Post #5 of 7
i'm currently using my x5 with sennheiser MX550s at work and grado 125s at home.

The MX550s sounds good enough for me w/o and amp but the 125s sound much better when used with my cmoy.

if you're looking to buy a headphone which might need an amp, why don't you just get a small one? not very ex anyway

otherwise you can consider getting iems like the er-6i which are made to work w/o amp, although amp might still be useful

i'm stilling considering btwn er-6i or e4c, but can't do anything yet cos i just ordered the HF-1 so i'm broke

and regarding the sweat issue, i don't think you have to worry too much. I live in Singapore, and i don't think that there's a place in the world where you'd sweat more just walking around. Many people own iems here...isn't much of a problem. I'd caution against getting jap iems though, I'm not sure abt the panasonic or sharp but i used to own a sony and it was the worse sound i ever heard.

Sep 20, 2005 at 11:30 AM Post #6 of 7
I have the x5 with ms-1's and the shure e3c. With the e3c the sound is great(clear, detailed, not much bass, not as well balanced as my ms-1), but I have to use the eq for some genres, but then it sounds great (unamped). The ms-1's are kickin' ass with rock/metal music (great detail in highs, punchy bass, not much bass though). It's not great for rap/hiphop/harddance etc. I don't have much experience with other headphones connected to my x5 and I don't own an amp(yet) so can't really recommend something.
For portable use I will recommend iem's. They are perfect for that purpose, much noise reduction so that you can really focus on the music.

Sep 20, 2005 at 10:00 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
I have read rave reviews about the synergy between the X5 and the E4.

I haven't noticed it. The E4 has a bright sound, and the X5 also has a brightish sound with some digititis. This is not a good combo, as the overall sound becomes very bright with a steely treble. I think that dark phones will match the X5 better - something like the E2c or E3c, with the E5c and UM2 on the high end will be preferable IMO to the ER-4P, ER-6i, and E4c. The EQ options aren't that great IMO and the brighter phones will have to rely on them to sound balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back