Icon Audio HP205D
Apr 16, 2024 at 2:46 PM Post #16 of 41
I hope you could put your experience, impressions with this amp and the 4 configurations in context to your favorite tube amps when you have a few minutes to spare...
Somthing like an all time podium and how far the Icon is behind? Plus these 4 configurations on a scale from 1-10 like you did with the 205ds.
I’ll give it a go.

1. Icon HP205D w/NOS WE205Ds — 11/10. Best tube amp I’ve ever heard. Infectious rumble and textured bass, very sweet mids, and detailed and crisp but not overly splashy treble. Near perfect balance of medium-fast transients and tubey warmth. Imparts 3-dimensional body to the instruments rather than just layering walls of sound at different distances.

2. Icon HP205D w/Psvane 205Ds — 8.5-9/10. Similar to above but everything is dialed back to move it down from epic to very good.

3. Icon HP205D w/Elrog-MOs — 8/10. As noted in an earlier post above, this pairing was too aggressive for me but many may like it.

4. Icon HP205D w/Taks — 9-9.5/10. Very nice and closely riding the tail lights of the Eddie Current.

5. Eddie Current Studio B w/Taks, WE396A, U50 rectifier — 10/10. Best tube amp I’d heard before I acquired the Icon. Very fast (SS level fast) transients. Dry and very clear with wide and deep staging (not necessarily tall) depending on the track. I rolled through 4 or 5 NOS rectifiers before I found one or two which added a bit more wetness to the presentation. Good bass rumble, sweet mids, and extended treble. A good middle ground between the classic WE300B presentation and more modern Elrog house sound.

6. DNA Stratus v4 w/NOS single plate RCA 2a3s — 6(10)/10. While highly regarded, this amp’s voicing was not to my tastes thus the lower score but if its presentation fits your preferences, there is likely nothing better (short of a Stellaris which I have not heard). Very detailed and very wet with those slow transients like a clear sky on a hot, very humid day. The juxtaposition of very high detail and slow attack was too jarring for me. Others may (and do) love it. That said, particularly with the single-plates, the treble is just awesome - very present and extended in the mix w/o ever being harsh or shrill. Bass is textured and very good (but 300B, 45, and 205D have more rumble in my view). Mids were a bit forward for me but very pleasant.

7. Andix Audio HPA-45 DHT — 8/10. This diminutive Japanese 45-based dac/amp is surprisingly great (it is nestled between the two sections of the Icon in the pictures). The DAC is “ok” but it takes analog in so I feed it from the T+A DAC200 and this little amp just rocks. Detail and noise floor are not summit-tier by any means but the 45 has very, very punchy bass, mids which cut through the mix well, and crisp treble but not to the level of the 205D or 2a3 in the highs. Stage depth is very good. Width is good but not noteworthy. If you can find one outside of Japan, give it a try. The amp manages to impart some low end weight to the HD800S which is quite interesting.

8. LTA MZ3 — 7.5/10. Caveat that I’m going on fairly distant memory on this one. Very open and airy sounding particularly in mids and treble. Bass had texture and detail but not enough note weight for my tastes. While I’m not typically focused on maximizing wattage when evaluating amps, at 1W max output, it really needed more headroom.

I looked through your classifieds pages and you tried out quite many amps and HPs!
I’m embarrassed to say 37 HPs and 25 amps.

Apr 17, 2024 at 11:19 AM Post #17 of 41
I’m embarrassed to say 37 HPs and 25 amps.
I'd propose as long as you're able to keep track there's nothing to be ambarresed about...

thanks for the comprehensive, to the point write up!
Icon - what's in a name.

Apr 20, 2024 at 2:49 PM Post #18 of 41
Anyone compare the icon to the ha300mk2 ? Also any internal shots of the icon amp ?

Apr 20, 2024 at 7:56 PM Post #19 of 41
Anyone compare the icon to the ha300mk2 ? Also any internal shots of the icon amp ?
I’m not aware of anyone else who has one (yet) on this forum. Regarding wiring, I’d suggest emailing Icon as they are responsive.

Apr 20, 2024 at 8:34 PM Post #20 of 41
Oh found it here:

1713659677878.png

Apr 26, 2024 at 12:50 AM Post #21 of 41
Well, now you're listing your Studio B and I wonder if and how long the Icon will stay?
👍
Ultimately, I delisted the EC Studio B. I just cannot part with it despite the overlap with the Icon. So, given my bias in favor of tube amps, I'm instead parting with the MASS-Kobo 394ii which is the best SS amp I've ever heard (and I've heard a lot) but utlimately I prefer tube amps with two very specific exceptions -- the single existing unicorn Cembalo Spring 1 amp prototype paired with the LFF Code LEX (modded HESLE) and the AIO Warwick Aperio system.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2024 at 6:33 AM Post #22 of 41
Ultimately, I delisted the EC Studio B. I just cannot part with it despite the overlap with the Icon. So, given my bias in favor of tube amps, I'm instead parting with the MASS-Kobo 394ii which is the best SS amp I've ever heard (and I've heard a lot) but utlimately I prefer tube amps with two very specific exceptions -- the single existing unicorn Cembalo Spring 1 amp prototype paired with the LFF Code LEX (modded HESLE) and the AIO Warwick Aperio system.
great! I wondered and hought you lastly prefer the SS character of the EC more than the tube character of the 394ii...
Also interesting that the Icon can keep up (in your experience) as TOTL piece excluding Aperio, Shangri-La, HE 1 type of systems.
One might think 205D would probably pair well with RAAL 1995s (interface)...

I'm currently looking into on where to find great tubes for it. Potentially first tube amp.

# 274Bs, many choices easy to find.
# 205Ds, taking a relaxed approach and go with Psvane. Until I get to know someone who knows THE guy...
# focussing on finding "best" ECC88 variety sold around here.
# a pair of RCAs and power chord. Damn those cables, but they must be included in calculations.

you meant modded HE(S)6LE, right?

Apr 26, 2024 at 9:06 AM Post #23 of 41
great! I wondered and hought you lastly prefer the SS character of the EC more than the tube character of the 394ii...
This is true.
One might think 205D would probably pair well with RAAL 1995s (interface)...
I’m going to find out in approximately 5-7 weeks.
I'm currently looking into on where to find great tubes for it. Potentially first tube amp.

# 274Bs, many choices easy to find.
Also supports 5AR4s if you wanted, for example, to go for broke and get a Mullard metal base GZ34.
# focussing on finding "best" ECC88 variety sold around here.
‘60s era Mullards perhaps
# a pair of RCAs and power chord. Damn those cables, but they must be included in calculations.

you meant modded HE(S)6LE, right?
Typo, HE-5LE, not “S” or “6”

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/referencesounds-lffs-modded-he-5-code-x-thread.679643/

Apr 29, 2024 at 4:47 PM Post #24 of 41
I’m going to find out in approximately 5-7 weeks.
So you must have been ordering it right away? Immanis and not Magna right?
(My interest in and more so decision on which one will it be, the Icon/other tube amp is directly correlated to a potential 1995 purchase...)
Now what about power ratings... I know Alexander mentioned it "over there" but will 205Ds power be "enough" for Interface/Immanis? Have you looked into that or will you just use that amp of yours which pairs best with it? thanks!

Apr 29, 2024 at 6:26 PM Post #25 of 41
So you must have been ordering it right away? Immanis and not Magna right?
(My interest in and more so decision on which one will it be, the Icon/other tube amp is directly correlated to a potential 1995 purchase...)
Now what about power ratings... I know Alexander mentioned it "over there" but will 205Ds power be "enough" for Interface/Immanis? Have you looked into that or will you just use that amp of yours which pairs best with it? thanks!
Yes, I got on pre-order / wait list for Immanis in February.

Per my reading, the Immanis and Magna need less power via combo TI transformer / headphone stand than earlier Raals. So, unclear if Icon will have enough or whether I will drive from another SS amp I own and/or my HSA-1b.

May 1, 2024 at 4:04 AM Post #26 of 41
I also own this amp paired with the Caldera's although just in stock form for now. In all honesty I don't feel the need to go down the NOS rabbit hole as the sound really is stellar.

Don't think this amp gets much exposure so hopefully threads like this will bring it into focus a little more.

I should add it's built like a tank and the brass plate on the top looks high end for sure!

IMG_1321 2.JPG

May 1, 2024 at 9:09 AM Post #27 of 41
I also own this amp paired with the Caldera's although just in stock form for now. In all honesty I don't feel the need to go down the NOS rabbit hole as the sound really is stellar.

Don't think this amp gets much exposure so hopefully threads like this will bring it into focus a little more.

I should add it's built like a tank and the brass plate on the top looks high end for sure!

My prayers to the dark audiophile gods have been answered, another acolyte/owner emerges on this thread!

Last edited:
May 1, 2024 at 9:17 AM Post #28 of 41
Agreed. However, I do think rolling the rectifier and input tubes will improve it at a less eye watering investment level than seeking out NOS 205Ds. I will say the NOS 205Ds are spectacular but they are very hard to find at “semi-justifiable” prices.

The brass top plate is really attractive.

Anything more you can share on the Caldera pairing?

May 1, 2024 at 4:54 PM Post #29 of 41
My prayers to the dark audiophile gods have been answered, another acolyte/owner emerges on this thread!

I think the big takeaway for me is the visceral nature of the bass presentation. It sounds and feels so real and hits like no other headphone I've owned. It's a big massive presentation that just envelopes every sense of your soul!

I've owned other ZMF's previously and not really gelled that well with them but the Caldera along with the Icon is just on another level. The holographic staging along with note definition and weight is just fantastic.

I'll have to look at tube rolling at some point but for now I'm very happy for sure!

May 1, 2024 at 6:55 PM Post #30 of 41
I think the big takeaway for me is the visceral nature of the bass presentation. It sounds and feels so real and hits like no other headphone I've owned. It's a big massive presentation that just envelopes every sense of your soul!

I've owned other ZMF's previously and not really gelled that well with them but the Caldera along with the Icon is just on another level. The holographic staging along with note definition and weight is just fantastic.
I, too, enjoy headphones with note weight similar to the Caldera on the Icon, e.g. the Final D8K Pro. Is Caldera your primary headphone or any other pairings you have tried on the Icon?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back