iBasso T3D is available!?
Nov 27, 2009 at 4:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

DoTheMath

New Head-Fier
I have been checking their site about everyday looking to see if the info on the T3D was updated and it looks like it had been added to the product list.

iBasso

$135USD vs. $119 USD for the T3.

Anyone have any additional insight on this - would love to add it to my Christmas list!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 27, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #6 of 30
can someone please explain what this 'digital volume control' is?

Nov 28, 2009 at 10:26 AM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Didn't somebody post that per iBasso, the original T3 was actually the better amp?

Yep they sent me an email last week saying the that T3 had slightly better sound than the T3D. stumped if i know y though. they didn't give any specifics

Nov 28, 2009 at 10:48 AM Post #8 of 30
I doubt that the differences are major, but it begs the question : why build the T3D if it wasnt an improvement. I have had no problem controlling levels with the T3 - its not like some desktops where a single volume increment can take output from 'too soft' to too loud.

I have digital volume control on my MD-10, but I've yet to detect any improvement over the analog control on the Topaz. I'm sure iBasso have their reasons - it may simply be that the digital control fits better in the slimline casing for the T3.

Nov 28, 2009 at 12:02 PM Post #9 of 30
Sweet! ..now with a digital volume control.
smile.gif

Nov 28, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I doubt that the differences are major, but it begs the question : why build the T3D if it wasnt an improvement. I have had no problem controlling levels with the T3 - its not like some desktops where a single volume increment can take output from 'too soft' to too loud.

I have digital volume control on my MD-10, but I've yet to detect any improvement over the analog control on the Topaz. I'm sure iBasso have their reasons - it may simply be that the digital control fits better in the slimline casing for the T3.

Very likely a marketing decision by iBasso, as some folks perceive that anything "digital" is better. It also allows for direct competition and comparisons with the Shadow.

Nov 28, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #11 of 30
Digital is better, if implemented right. It depends on how many steps the digital control has. You can get hundreds of steps with digital, making the sound just perfect for those highly sensitive IEMs.

Nov 29, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #12 of 30
I'm feeding a pair of ATH-50's with this (pending) purchase and primarily use it while traveling. I wonder if the difference in SQ / functionality is really "that" different between the two or if it is just a matter of preference? I would prefer the T3 style volume control (rotary vs. dig. "toggle") as I think it is easier to manipulate, in-flight.

Anyone know of any tests / trial runs that are available or in progress with the T3D yet - I'm leaning toward the T3 right now and adding a Quables Performance SE LOD to tie them together. Either way, I'm pretty sure that I can't lose...
happy_face1.gif

Nov 30, 2009 at 9:23 AM Post #13 of 30
OMG... T3 has better sound than T3D? I hope the different is not significant.....

I've just ordered T3D from their website. I hated the imbalance problem with the analog volume control on my previous icon mobile.

I'll let you know the number of steps in the digital volume control when I receive it.

Nov 30, 2009 at 9:39 AM Post #14 of 30
If you arent happy with your T3(D) after 8-10 hours burn-in, send it back - this isnt an amp that needs a lot of hours to sound good. That said, I havent seen any posts from anyone who returned theirs because they were unhappy - I have to wonder if some went with the D4 over the T3, but thats understandable.

Dec 1, 2009 at 10:08 AM Post #15 of 30
Just received my T3D. I was surprised by it's size.

About the Digital volume control. I think it implemented much much better than Fiio E5 (of course it's almost 5 times the price). It divided the control into tiny step so you can have a precise control of volume. When I use the E5, I can never have the prefered volume so I give up using the LOD.

T3D will set the volume to the default (nearly silence) when you restart the amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back