iBasso SR1 semi open Headphone. Limited production.
Feb 25, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #1,006 of 1,046
Hello, the SR1 is currently available at Amazon.com for $398 from retailer JCN DigiMart with shipping through Amazon. Sounds pretty good, doesn't it?

is That authorized dealer, i checked ibasso website and price stil the same as 499 usd

Maybe @Paul - iBasso can confirm this...

Feb 28, 2020 at 11:23 PM Post #1,007 of 1,046
I see there are still people who love SR-1, and want to have more out of it.
So a while back I thought perforated pads were going to do great, in which it did.

But in my review I was saying that I really wanted the SR-1 to be just an Opened back headphones instead of semi-open back ?

Well, how about me sharing the modification that would bring you an open back SR-1 ?

This should be a one way trip....irreversible. You are all responsible for your tinkering and this guide can not hold me responsible for what you are doing or have decided to do and or any damages that can occur
Have fun!!!

Improvements : Soundstage and better openness!!! Whatever else that benefit an open back headphones.

Negatives ? None, at least not to my opinion

materials needed

1/ Back acoustic resistors....well, you don’t exactly need any resistors at all. Only need dirt filters more like, so the more open is the better. I choose to go with what I have here in my garage. The Weed barrier and can be found from homedepot for cheap. You can chose other better sophisticated materials that isnporius and allow air to vent through

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Vigoro-...ape-Fabric-with-Microfunnels-1242RV/302720132

2/ Next care skin tape. This tape is very reliable as I have used it to modify MSR Z7 MKI years ago and still staying great
https://www.target.com/p/nexcare-sensitive-skin-tape-blue-1-in-x-4-yd/-/A-14796593?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&fndsrc=tgtao&CPNG=PLA_Health+Shopping_Local&adgroup=SC_Health&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=m&location=1023631&ds_rl=1246978&ds_rl=1247077&ds_rl=1246978&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8t2CoPD15wIVBpyzCh1jogiGEAQYBSABEgK3o_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

3/ Scissors , screw drivers and different needed tools

Procedures

1/ take off the pads

2/ There are 2 main screws on the Yolks from side to side. Take it out and extend your headphones housing straight back out, you will see the turning mechanism. Match them up and pull the frame out, your housing should be separated and pullEd out
A6AD564F-19FD-4752-9172-A067F253D08F.jpeg
3/ Turn to the front face, you will see 6 screws being covered up by black tape. Peel them away and then unscrew all screw. Be gentle as the housing is Plastic and if you are reckless, the screws may trip

2D723C28-BB92-4657-A6A6-7EB3E49B4CC6.jpeg
4/ Now you can separate the putter housing, the Net protective housing, and expose the driver back. You will see the Felt being pasted at the back of the driver. Do not use any heat or any funky things, use Tweezers and carefully lift a corner then use the back of the bigger end on the tweezer and continue peeling. You will ruin the Glues but you should be able to preserve the Felt. Don’t worry, if you want, you can then use it again with the next method

53A8E739-C50B-4EDE-A0B8-00418355EB12.jpeg0E73F65E-CEA7-4689-8090-F01EF465CD48.jpeg
5/ Now use this Felt as a Sample and cut your Weed barrier into Circle of the same sizes. Then using the Tape and cut it out, tape up the Weed barrier into the replacement of the stock felt like this. Remember to use it discretely and don’t block the air holes too much. It should only be enough to cover the plastic. The barrier is directional, I use the face in so the air can easily be pulled in
FEBA7A83-0069-49C5-8F28-8217EB7201D3.jpeg
6/ repeat for the other side and put them back together. Pay attentions on the Net protector, there is a cut out for the MMCX entrance, put it on the driver first and make sure it fit the MMCX, then put onto the putter plastic frame.
Voila!!! You have transformed your SR-1 into a full blown opened headphones

If you want to reuse the stock Felt, you can take off the Barrier and tape the stock one up under this fashion. However it can only be done once, as it will further damage the felt. The next time you wanted to, you will have to use other Felt materials that is 100% blocking similar to stock

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2020 at 12:03 AM Post #1,008 of 1,046
I see there are still people who love SR-1, and want to have more out of it.
So a while back I thought perforated pads were going to do great, in which it did.

But in my review I was saying that I really wanted the SR-1 to be just an Opened back headphones instead of semi-open back ?

Well, how about me sharing the modification that would bring you an open back SR-1 ?

This should be a one way trip....irreversible. You are all responsible for your tinkering and this guide can not hold me responsible for what you are doing or have decided to do and or any damages that can occur
Have fun!!!

Improvements : Soundstage and better openness!!! Whatever else that benefit an open back headphones.

Negatives ? None, at least not to my opinion

materials needed

1/ Back acoustic resistors....well, you don’t exactly need any resistors at all. Only need dirt filters more like, so the more open is the better. I choose to go with what I have here in my garage. The Weed barrier and can be found from homedepot for cheap. You can chose other better sophisticated materials that isnporius and allow air to vent through

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Vigoro-...ape-Fabric-with-Microfunnels-1242RV/302720132

2/ Next care skin tape. This tape is very reliable as I have used it to modify MSR Z7 MKI years ago and still staying great
https://www.target.com/p/nexcare-sensitive-skin-tape-blue-1-in-x-4-yd/-/A-14796593?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&fndsrc=tgtao&CPNG=PLA_Health+Shopping_Local&adgroup=SC_Health&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=m&location=1023631&ds_rl=1246978&ds_rl=1247077&ds_rl=1246978&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8t2CoPD15wIVBpyzCh1jogiGEAQYBSABEgK3o_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

3/ Scissors , screw drivers and different needed tools

Procedures

1/ take off the pads

2/ There are 2 main screws on the Yolks from side to side. Take it out and extend your headphones housing straight back out, you will see the turning mechanism. Match them up and pull the frame out, your housing should be separated and pullEd out
A6AD564F-19FD-4752-9172-A067F253D08F.jpeg
3/ Turn to the front face, you will see 6 screws being covered up by black tape. Peel them away and then unscrew all screw. Be gentle as the housing is Plastic and if you are reckless, the screws may trip

2D723C28-BB92-4657-A6A6-7EB3E49B4CC6.jpeg
4/ Now you can separate the putter housing, the Net protective housing, and expose the driver back. You will see the Felt being pasted at the back of the driver. Do not use any heat or any funky things, use Tweezers and carefully lift a corner then use the back of the bigger end on the tweezer and continue peeling. You will ruin the Glues but you should be able to preserve the Felt. Don’t worry, if you want, you can then use it again with the next method

53A8E739-C50B-4EDE-A0B8-00418355EB12.jpeg0E73F65E-CEA7-4689-8090-F01EF465CD48.jpeg
5/ Now use this Felt as a Sample and cut your Weed barrier into Circle of the same sizes. Then using the Tape and cut it out, tape up the Weed barrier into the replacement of the stock felt like this. Remember to use it discretely and don’t block the air holes too much. It should only be enough to cover the plastic. The barrier is directional, I use the face in so the air can easily be pulled in
FEBA7A83-0069-49C5-8F28-8217EB7201D3.jpeg
6/ repeat for the other side and put them back together. Pay attentions on the Net protector, there is a cut out for the MMCX entrance, put it on the driver first and make sure it fit the MMCX, then put onto the putter plastic frame.
Voila!!! You have transformed your SR-1 into a full blown opened headphones

If you want to reuse the stock Felt, you can take off the Barrier and tape the stock one up under this fashion. However it can only be done once, as it will further damage the felt. The next time you wanted to, you will have to use other Felt materials that is 100% blocking similar to stock
Screenshot_20200229-134350_Samsung Internet.jpg

Red holes: I punched on second day of use.
Yellow holes: same time I have idea to do someday, but worry of air pressure changing will destroy the sound properties of driver. So not yet try.

Is it a safer way to mod: punch pin holes and listening try, then increase q'ty of hole?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200229-134350_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200229-134350_Samsung Internet.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Feb 29, 2020 at 3:21 AM Post #1,010 of 1,046
You can also carefully cut the Blue circle as in this picture

The Red circle here, the driver is closed with the metal mesh. The Blue circle is the center of the air circulation and is completely relying on the acoustic resistor on the back.
You will not ruin the sound enough even if you leave it all open. I use the Barrier as a meant for dirt protection

03966030-0F20-469E-A967-E90654D60609.jpeg

Feb 29, 2020 at 3:27 AM Post #1,011 of 1,046
Red holes won’t matter, but yellow holes do. Definitely try out those holes and see what you like more :)
Red holes saved my life before PT1 had launched :D
I really can not use SR1 stock pad w/o those holes.
I think dust is not a matter there at back of driver.
(Metal mesh do its job).
Do you think the back covering for reduce sound leaking only, or iBasso want to increase air pressure at the back? (as way of tunning).
How does the sound change w/o back cover?
Pls

Edit: you remove small round metal mesh at the center. OMG!

hd800s doesn't want to be changed its metal mesh. Sq seriously downgrade

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2020 at 3:58 AM Post #1,012 of 1,046
There is no mesh in the center

without the back cover as my modifications shown, the Sr 1 becomes a truly opened back. The improvements is too much to list out

But there is no such things where it could be losing all the bass and pull in all the treble...etc

there are technically why/how, but it is too much to try and explain :/

Mar 1, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #1,013 of 1,046
The open back SR-1 trade the balances for the huge soundstage but bass is increased even further with quality and quantity. Especially the Quantity!!! It reminds me of TH-900 but this soundstage is beyond that....and no ear piercing trebles.
Coming off from HD800S, the open back SR-1 is fine but that bass though , is kinda like bass head level of bass.
Details and trebles do not lack, but the bass could be worrisome if you prefer a more neutral approach.
Mid is more recessed too

Mar 17, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #1,014 of 1,046
The open back SR-1 trade the balances for the huge soundstage but bass is increased even further with quality and quantity. Especially the Quantity!!! It reminds me of TH-900 but this soundstage is beyond that....and no ear piercing trebles.
Coming off from HD800S, the open back SR-1 is fine but that bass though , is kinda like bass head level of bass.
Details and trebles do not lack, but the bass could be worrisome if you prefer a more neutral approach.
Mid is more recessed too

Yep, i agree with your statement, i had sr1 as well, i can tell the bass is like th900 bass and easy to listen as well, no piercing, watching movie with this cans is also enjoyable because of that

Mar 17, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #1,015 of 1,046
Yep, i agree with your statement, i had sr1 as well, i can tell the bass is like th900 bass and easy to listen as well, no piercing, watching movie with this cans is also enjoyable because of that

You have not understand his words.
He was telling SR1 after quite heavily modded
I am wrong if your SR1 had that modded already.
Stock SR1 was not mentioned in his post.

Mar 17, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #1,016 of 1,046
You have not understand his words.
He was telling SR1 after quite heavily modded
I am wrong if your SR1 had that modded already.
Stock SR1 was not mentioned in his post.

I;m modded my SR1 as well bro, i;m not using stock pads, kindda different mod, the stock earpads kindda muffle, but basically still i;m very agree in parts of non fatigue treble and bass, but maybe not in soundstage, my bad on this, still not as wide as th900 imo in my mod

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #1,017 of 1,046
I;m modded my SR1 as well bro, i;m not using stock pads, but different mod, the stock earpads kindda muffle, but basically still i;m very agree in parts of non fatigue treble and bass, but maybe not in soundstage, my bad on this, still not as wide as th900 imo in my mod

I am gonna try Whitiger's mod (punching holes on driver's back). My mod sr1 is to create air exhaust holes but not on driver's back.
I dont like too smooth, lack of spark in treble and thick base of stock sr1.
Each step push SR1 to my hd800s side.
It is ok but continueing go this way is not so good when I get "two" hd800s.
I want to have difference flavor for daily meals.
So must stop somewhere and keeping sr1 far from hd800s.
Sound stage, sr1 is as like a sphere but it size is less than the bigger axis of 800s stage (oval shape).
My RR1 sound stage size and shape, tonality is like SR1(modded).
From Whitiger post I worry SR1 become RR1 after doing his mod in bass respond, stage, mid and high. Detail may close too

Mar 17, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #1,018 of 1,046
I am gonna try Whitiger's mod (punching holes on driver's back). My mod sr1 is to create air exhaust holes but not on driver's back.
I dont like too smooth, lack of spark in treble and thick base of stock sr1.
Each step push SR1 to my hd800s side.
It is ok but continueing go this way is not so good when I get "two" hd800s.
I want to have difference flavor for daily meals.
So must stop somewhere and keeping sr1 far from hd800s.
Sound stage, sr1 is as like a sphere but it size is less than the bigger axis of 800s stage (oval shape).
My RR1 sound stage size and shape, tonality is like SR1(modded).
From Whitiger post I worry SR1 become RR1 after doing his mod in bass respond, stage, mid and high. Detail may close too

My mod is simple, change earpads but not by upgrade pt1 earpads, i just do experiment, and this is better imo but idk how to express it in detail, but for sure it less fatigue than pt1 pads and less bloated bass as default pads, more balance to me, i;m using brainwavz micro suede xl gel pads for my SR1, kindda pain in the ass changing the earpads but i manage it somehow, i sell my pt1 pads, i still keep default pads however in case i need it again.

Well different with you, i like smooth treble on SR1 but it's just matters of preference but sometimes in default pads bass intrude into mids, in pt1 pads bass reduce and more treble, that's why i didnot like pt1 pads as well because its kindda a bit a peak or maybe iin your term is sparkle ?!
HD800 still have wider soundstage no doubt about it, but at least this one easier to drive and not amp picky, and i also often using it with my portable dap, i can't say the same for hd800
I doubt my mod will satisfy you since i;m go with smoother path, since i already had focal as well which is complementary each other, if i want sparkle a bit and more enjoyable, i will go to my focal
In my mod, soundstage is the same, just reduce treble peak there mostly since the pads thicker than default or even sr1 pads and reduce bloated bass imo
I never heard RR1, so no comment on it sorry :)
Again, i have no idea of RR1, i have different mod than him, that's fact, and also maybe his mod is better, idk for sure but for me the improvement in my mod only in reduce treble peak, bloated bass, soundstage probably kindda same or less wider but that's not problem for me, oh also comfort is better with this pads than both ibasso pads, the others maybe subjective but in terms of changing pads for comfort, i will guarantee you, this pads is no match for comfort, i hope this helps :)

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #1,019 of 1,046
Any of you fans of Queens of the Stone Age? Is there a headphone in existence that does "First It Giveth" better than the SR1? My god...freaking perfect!

I still can't pinpoint it, but there's something unique and downright magical about the SR1 when it comes to rock and some electronica. Probably a combination of its tuning and soundstage, but there's some emergent phenomenon from the SR1 that I haven't heard in any other pair.

I find its weaknesses to be classical / jazz / acoustic. But where it's strong, it's exceptional.

Mar 21, 2020 at 7:41 PM Post #1,020 of 1,046
Any of you fans of Queens of the Stone Age? Is there a headphone in existence that does "First It Giveth" better than the SR1? My god...freaking perfect!

I still can't pinpoint it, but there's something unique and downright magical about the SR1 when it comes to rock and some electronica. Probably a combination of its tuning and soundstage, but there's some emergent phenomenon from the SR1 that I haven't heard in any other pair.

I find its weaknesses to be classical / jazz / acoustic. But where it's strong, it's exceptional.

If you did not do any mod, yes classic, jazz are not for SR1.
Bloat bass, bleeding to mids (or any other word) destroy the musicality.
Problems can be solved by mods

Users who are viewing this thread

Back