Ibasso PB5 the next dedicated portable Amplifier
Feb 23, 2024 at 5:36 PM Post #301 of 489
It's surely a bit Apples and Oranges but DX320 Max is also DS, isn't it?
So on which level is it playing vs D16?
I am considering N30LE on that level but with different tuning.
Imho AKM TOTL DAPs are going in a similar tuning direction as 1-bit stuff, sounding less digital, smoother and more analogue to my ears.
It's not the same thing though as also N7 isn't the same as N30LE.
And yep, regarding these Specs I have had Topping Desktop gear which was praised to heaven with again much better specs but returned these as subjectively these haven't brought me the same enjoyment as the dedicated mobile implementations I had the pleasure to experience.
I am mostly using these for IEMs though, keeping dedicated desktop gear for Overears

Yes, and I can’t get back to the 320M by itself since the date that I have D16/PB5 arrived. How could I go back to Taco when I can have Prime Ribs with zero consequences 😂. I agree about subjective speaking and personal preferences, which makes this hobby a fun hobby isn’t it ?

Feb 23, 2024 at 5:56 PM Post #302 of 489
Yes, and I can’t get back to the 320M by itself since the date that I have D16/PB5 arrived. How could I go back to Taco when I can have Prime Ribs with zero consequences 😂. I agree about subjective speaking and personal preferences, which makes this hobby a fun hobby isn’t it ?
Yup, can’t go back to the DX320Max either.

Feb 24, 2024 at 8:54 PM Post #303 of 489
Is this normal and I may just not like the influence on the cymbal timbre and vocal timbre? It's interesting only positive for adding sparkle to guitar solo strings. And somewhat for trumpet.
Also is it normal for tapping to not go through the signal?

So I am sensing a subtle modulation-ringing kind effect when using the portable amp. That makes some treble stuff quite unforgiving.

I am not referring to the ringing of tapping the device and having the Nutubes conduct that. Though, oddly I noticed my PB5 does not conduct taps into the signal. Similar to my Cayin C9 in this sense.

What I am referring to, is that it adds a lisp to things. Both in the lower treble to pre-air treble..... maybe around 10khz area? But it is also like things are going "jagged". Possibly smeary but only in the later Treble stuff and not else where.

Bass and mids are dynamic and not diffused sounding or anything.

The best pairing I've had with it so far has been my warmest dap the HiBy R6 Pro (the original, not the new R6ii). And not my dx220MAX and dx300max (which were more interesting double-amped than their LO) . I imagine the D16 compensates for this in the official meta pairing?

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2024 at 5:06 AM Post #304 of 489
It's surely a bit Apples and Oranges but DX320 Max is also DS, isn't it?
So on which level is it playing vs D16?
I am considering N30LE on that level but with different tuning.
Imho AKM TOTL DAPs are going in a similar tuning direction as 1-bit stuff, sounding less digital, smoother and more analogue to my ears.
It's not the same thing though as also N7 isn't the same as N30LE.
And yep, regarding these Specs I have had Topping Desktop gear which was praised to heaven with again much better specs but returned these as subjectively these haven't brought me the same enjoyment as the dedicated mobile implementations I had the pleasure to experience.
I am mostly using these for IEMs though, keeping dedicated desktop gear for Overears
I am not the one to give reviews or detailed impressions of the FR range, but to the music as a whole. And I have been using N7+PB5 and it's just pretty awesome. I haven't listened to my stack in 5 days, but from my memory the mid-bass got a nice boost.

I am mostly using the N7 in Preamp mode though, keep the amp in Low gain, and full volume and I control the volume through N7. I did briefly use the LO in N7 as per recommended here and it was good too, but the preamp mode just gave the low-end more body that was really nice. I'll be trying the LO again today and see how I like it.

Feb 25, 2024 at 5:23 AM Post #305 of 489
@twister6 Alex, I hope you are getting better!
Am so curious waiting for the Ibasso stack review.
Any hint regarding D16 to PB5 double amping configuration?
I remember you wrote somewhere about "pleasant surprises".
Very interested about these specific pleasant configurations.
I've not dared trying anything else but D16 LO into PB5 so far.

Feb 25, 2024 at 9:41 AM Post #306 of 489
Is this normal and I may just not like the influence on the cymbal timbre and vocal timbre? It's interesting only positive for adding sparkle to guitar solo strings. And somewhat for trumpet.
Also is it normal for tapping to not go through the signal?

So I am sensing a subtle modulation-ringing kind effect when using the portable amp. That makes some treble stuff quite unforgiving.

I am not referring to the ringing of tapping the device and having the Nutubes conduct that. Though, oddly I noticed my PB5 does not conduct taps into the signal. Similar to my Cayin C9 in this sense.

What I am referring to, is that it adds a lisp to things. Both in the lower treble to pre-air treble..... maybe around 10khz area? But it is also like things are going "jagged". Possibly smeary but only in the later Treble stuff and not else where.

Bass and mids are dynamic and not diffused sounding or anything.

The best pairing I've had with it so far has been my warmest dap the HiBy R6 Pro (the original, not the new R6ii). And not my dx220MAX and dx300max (which were more interesting double-amped than their LO) . I imagine the D16 compensates for this in the official meta pairing?

If you have a Chance to listen to a burned in D16 paired with PB5, do so. I am interested in what your findings will be

Feb 25, 2024 at 6:58 PM Post #307 of 489
My initial impressions after roughly 12+ hours of burn in and doing A/B testing is the amp adds noticeable weight to the notes and instrument separation increased, as did my perception of the soundstage. For my home use and powering over ears - the PB5 is a keeper and I’m done looking for more (until the next gen, of course, lol :wink:). Playing FLAC files (mostly in hi rez) - modern recordings, mainly metal genres.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2024 at 7:51 AM Post #308 of 489
@twister6 Alex, I hope you are getting better!
Am so curious waiting for the Ibasso stack review.
Any hint regarding D16 to PB5 double amping configuration?
I remember you wrote somewhere about "pleasant surprises".
Very interested about these specific pleasant configurations.
I've not dared trying anything else but D16 LO into PB5 so far.
In a few days, combined D16/PB5 review :)

Feb 26, 2024 at 4:02 PM Post #309 of 489
In a few days, combined D16/PB5 review :)
That PB5 vs C9 battle hitting like
MV5BZWVjMmY4ODUtMmYzMC00NDdjLWE4MjMtOWUzMDBlNzczOGMwXkEyXkFqcGdeQWpnYW1i._V1_.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back