iBasso PB-2 Pelican fully balanced portable, DB-2 Dac . . HiFlight recommended op amps page 16. .
Feb 2, 2014 at 7:43 AM Post #1,036 of 1,604
You're set then.  Good!  

biggrin.gif

Feb 2, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #1,037 of 1,604
i found while the pb2 pelican is a excellent amp, when using the er4s with the lme49990 + ha5002 + +10 gain i was over in the 1 o clock ish range for medium to loud, i would have expected the volume pot to be smaller given the pb2's power?

Feb 2, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #1,038 of 1,604
  i found while the pb2 pelican is a excellent amp, when using the er4s with the lme49990 + ha5002 + +10 gain i was over in the 1 o clock ish range for medium to loud, i would have expected the volume pot to be smaller given the pb2's power?

I hear you, but those are among the most inefficient IEMs available: 

Quoting http://www.headphone.com/headphones/etymotic-er-4s.php

Somewhat inefficient and power-hungry at a stiff 100 Ohms impedance, listeners should consider a headphone amp for maximized detail with iPod/iPad/iPhone and portable sources -- or select the low-impedance ER-4PT model for non-amped mobile applications.

Mike

Feb 2, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #1,039 of 1,604
The more travel you use with the volume anyway. The less resistance in the path, from the volume pot, the better. 

Feb 2, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #1,040 of 1,604
Got my pb2, on Low Gain the Pb2 could not drive my Dt 880 600 ohm, I got sound in only one channel 

I fiddle'd with the gain jumpers till I got even sound in both channels, [using the balanced out ofc]

that said does ANY one have a GRAPH or some kind of picture for adjusting the Gain Jumpers 

so apprently no Jumpers = low gain 

I found the PDF for it 

0XX =High
xx0= Medium
000=Low 

XX being the jumper 

Feb 2, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #1,041 of 1,604
Got my pb2, on Low Gain the Pb2 could not drive my Dt 880 600 ohm, I got sound in only one channel 

I fiddle'd with the gain jumpers till I got even sound in both channels, [using the balanced out ofc]

that said does ANY one have a GRAPH or some kind of picture for adjusting the Gain Jumpers 

I found the PDF for it 

0XX =High
xx0= Medium
000=Low 

XX being the jumper 

My PDF suggest it's the other way round between medium and high gain ie

0XX =Medium
XX0= High
000=Low 

But it does depend on which way you are looking at them !!

Feb 2, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #1,042 of 1,604
My PDF suggest it's the other way round between medium and high gain ie

0XX =Medium
XX0= High
000=Low 

But it does depend on which way you are looking at them !!

I may have mis read if, though when is that for each pin on each of the 4 channels? When I got my amp it appeared to be set to high gain, yet I had channel imbalance issues 

well she's set to 0 and... wow man I'm liking this! Really cleaned up the bass on my D2k with my hm801 :3 can't wait to get my d2k rebalanced and try out that balanced connector :D, although +6 gain on the balanced out might still b a touch to much >.>, I'm sitting at 9:30 o Clock on 0 gain with my SE D2k xD 

Feb 10, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #1,043 of 1,604

I found the PDF for it 

0XX =High
xx0= Medium
000=Low 

XX being the jumper 

My PB2 with jumpers on medium gain

Feb 10, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #1,044 of 1,604
In general, I think the DB2 and PB2 are overlooked and not too many realize how good they can sound. The DB2 does an excellent job of getting to the music without sound digital. I was using it yesterday, letting it warm up for about an hour and the sound was extremely good, fed by the DX50, it was much better than the AK100 or anything around that sound range. Sure, not as portable but if you are looking for a small package for balanced sound, it is hard to beat. The DB2 has a separate battery for the digital and analog section and that gives it a real advantage in s/n, dynamics and overall quality of sound. 

Feb 16, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #1,045 of 1,604
After much deliberation and reading of both this and the Opamp threads - thanks all - I have decided on my OP Amp rolling path for the PB2.

1. Lme49990 OPamps x 4 bought off a reputable EBay seller - they have arrived in the UK from the US and awaiting delivery from Customs.
2. MUSES02 X2 awaiting stock (expected any day now)
3. Topflight kit bespoked by Ron in view of the above choices. Ha5002 buffers x4 , plus 4x single Opamp class A adaptors and plus 2x dual Opamp class A adaptors.

I already have two OPA627s, so I suspect I may be tempted to buy 2 more to try them out as well in due course but I want to try the Lme4990 & Ha5002 combination, also a MUSES choice and then to see if Class A biasing makes much of difference.

Reviews to follow when they have arrived.

Feb 16, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #1,046 of 1,604
After much deliberation and reading of both this and the Opamp threads - thanks all - I have decided on my OP Amp rolling path for the PB2.

1. Lme49990 OPamps x 4 bought off a reputable EBay seller - they have arrived in the UK from the US and awaiting delivery from Customs.
2. MUSES02 X2 awaiting stock (expected any day now)
3. Topflight kit bespoked by Ron in view of the above choices. Ha5002 buffers x4 , plus 4x single Opamp class A adaptors and plus 2x dual Opamp class A adaptors.

I already have two OPA627s, so I suspect I may be tempted to buy 2 more to try them out as well in due course but I want to try the Lme4990 & Ha5002 combination, also a MUSES choice and then to see if Class A biasing makes much of difference.

Reviews to follow when they have arrived.

Well, you have done your homework pal. Well done :beerchug:

I've had my PB2 for a long time and I've ended up where you are starting. Enjoy...

Feb 16, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #1,047 of 1,604
Well, you have done your homework pal. Well done :beerchug:

I've had my PB2 for a long time and I've ended up where you are starting. Enjoy...
)

LOL - let's hope I share yours & others tastes -:)

Famous last words, but I kind of think that in terms of Amplifiers I am nearing the end of my search now and that with the having the ability to switch to differing OPamps, it will mean that I will have no need to change the Amplifier, as I will have enough choice to satiate me.

I am also waiting to receive a balanced cable from toxic cables. I am looking forward to hearing how big a difference balanced to single ended is going to be. I just hope it can hear a difference ...

Feb 17, 2014 at 3:18 AM Post #1,050 of 1,604
You got links to the sellers please?  Thanks.

1. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190897296160

Note that these are sold as a pack of two singles, so you will have to order 2 of them in order to have four. The seller was recommended on here. And certainly the communication was excellent. Not received them yet.

2. I am being offered the MUSES as a bit of a favour - they normally wouldn't sell to the public - in fact we haven't even discussed a price yet, so I would prefer not to share the details the actually deal is done and then I will ask them if they are happy for me to pass their contact details on. Sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back