IBasso DX50 vs Fiio X3 comparison thread
Oct 16, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #106 of 297
in fact, only some special performance needs a very expensive instrument . the output power can be tested by some very cheap millivoltmeter, and the difference is very small if you are not trying to figure out it is 0.01mV or 0.001mV. but the distortion is another story .

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Oct 17, 2013 at 5:52 AM Post #107 of 297

X3 can push out 540mW at 16ohms, the reviewer just forget to set the gain to high in X3.  and the output voltage of X3 is bigger than 2.9V which is RMS Voltage and we will not cheat to public , and if there are something wrong when we put the data on our website, we will apologize to the public.

Well the reviewer has said he will re-test the X3 in high gain, and if the results are different, he will update the graphs. At least that's what I gather from the translation:

"Today and tomorrow rechecked, the player still has a presence at me if measurement was made in the Low Gain, rather than Hi, then, accordingly, all the graphics are updated.

Oct 20, 2013 at 6:15 AM Post #108 of 297
Hello, I have questions on both of these players.  I have an iPod Classic that I've been using for years now, but I'm annoyed by some aspects of it, so I'm interested in 1 of the players.

-How do you add music to them?  Is it drag-and-drop or do you have to use software (ie, iTunes, or foo_dop for iPod)

-What ID3 tags do they recognize?  I do like how the iPod Classic has "Unsynced Lyrics" and "Sort Album".  I saw that the X3 displays lyrics.  What ID3 tag is that under?  The iTunes' "Sort Album" overrides the alphanumeric sort for the album tag, which I've found handy for sorting chronologically*.

-It looks like both players let you browse by folder as well as by category.  Is that the case?  What are the categories?  The iPod lets you sort Artist\Album or Composer\Album, but not "Album Artist".  Do the players let you browse by Album Artist\Year - Album?  Do they take advantage of any "Sort Album"-type fields*?

-Is the "Year" tag limited to 4 digits*?  Can it display more?

-Would it be helpful if I asked these in individual DX50 and X3 threads?

A lot of my ID3 tag queries are based off of wanting to sort things in certain ways.  Browsing by folder solves a lot of that, but apparently the X3 still has gapless playback issues in "browse by folder" mode.

Thanks

*If an artist releases 2 albums in the same year, sorting using just the "Year" tag can still put things out of order.  e.g., Sgt. Pepper and Magical Mystery Tour both came out in 1967, but sorting by Artist\Year - Album puts Magical Mystery Tour before Sgt. Pepper, which isn't chronological. 

Oct 20, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #109 of 297
Hello, I have questions on both of these players.  I have an iPod Classic that I've been using for years now, but I'm annoyed by some aspects of it, so I'm interested in 1 of the players.

-How do you add music to them?  Is it drag-and-drop or do you have to use software (ie, iTunes, or foo_dop for iPod)

-What ID3 tags do they recognize?  I do like how the iPod Classic has "Unsynced Lyrics" and "Sort Album".  I saw that the X3 displays lyrics.  What ID3 tag is that under?  The iTunes' "Sort Album" overrides the alphanumeric sort for the album tag, which I've found handy for sorting chronologically*.

-It looks like both players let you browse by folder as well as by category.  Is that the case?  What are the categories?  The iPod lets you sort Artist\Album or Composer\Album, but not "Album Artist".  Do the players let you browse by Album Artist\Year - Album?  Do they take advantage of any "Sort Album"-type fields*?

-Is the "Year" tag limited to 4 digits*?  Can it display more?

-Would it be helpful if I asked these in individual DX50 and X3 threads?

A lot of my ID3 tag queries are based off of wanting to sort things in certain ways.  Browsing by folder solves a lot of that, but apparently the X3 still has gapless playback issues in "browse by folder" mode.

Thanks

*If an artist releases 2 albums in the same year, sorting using just the "Year" tag can still put things out of order.  e.g., Sgt. Pepper and Magical Mystery Tour both came out in 1967, but sorting by Artist\Year - Album puts Magical Mystery Tour before Sgt. Pepper, which isn't chronological. 

Come on man. Search the thread. Most of those can be answered through a search or by going to the manufacturers websites.

Oct 20, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #110 of 297
Come on man. Search the thread. Most of those can be answered through a search or by going to the manufacturers websites.

The only manual for the X3 I found is in bad English, so I didn't look through it closely.  Sorry.  I couldn't even find a manual for DX50.

-Drag and drop, both yes.

-Both seem to only categorize by album and not with year, ie, they sort alphabetically and not chronologically.

-From pictures, X3 seems to support synced lyrics, but apparently only under LRC files.  I haven't seen anything for the DX50.

-I haven't seen the year/date tag show up in any form on either the X3 or DX50, so browsing by category is apparently only listed via Artist\Album or Genre\Artist\Album or whatever.

I'm still looking for clarification.  I guess I am bad at searching.

Oct 20, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #111 of 297
The only manual for the X3 I found is in bad English, so I didn't look through it closely.  Sorry.  I couldn't even find a manual for DX50.

-Drag and drop, both yes.

-Both seem to only categorize by album and not with year, ie, they sort alphabetically and not chronologically.

-From pictures, X3 seems to support synced lyrics, but apparently only under LRC files.  I haven't seen anything for the DX50.

-I haven't seen the year/date tag show up in any form on either the X3 or DX50, so browsing by category is apparently only listed via Artist\Album or Genre\Artist\Album or whatever.

I'm still looking for clarification.  I guess I am bad at searching.

The X3 manual isn't hard to understand. Just takes some patience. I've had both and haven't seen evidence of chronological sorting or dating in either. Can't help ya with the lyrics. Good luck with the search!

Oct 21, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #112 of 297
good news, rectified test results show the X3 is the king of power!

Summary:
DX50 with 16 ohm earphone has - 60.2 mW
X3 with 16 ohm earphone has - 457.8 mW

DX50 with 32 ohm - 119.7 mW
X3 with 32 ohm - 231.9 mW

DX50 with 250 ohm - 24.2 mW
X3 with 250 ohm - 30 mW

X3 wins bigtime in power output below 100 ohms, above 100 ohms the X3 still wins, but DX50 is only a bit behind. Now lets hope he had also measured the DX50 on high gain :S

Oct 21, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #113 of 297
  good news, rectified test results show the X3 is the king of power!

Summary:
DX50 with 16 ohm earphone has - 60.2 mW
X3 with 16 ohm earphone has - 457.8 mW

DX50 with 32 ohm - 119.7 mW
X3 with 32 ohm - 231.9 mW

DX50 with 250 ohm - 24.2 mW
X3 with 250 ohm - 30 mW

X3 wins bigtime in power output below 100 ohms, above 100 ohms the X3 still wins, but DX50 is only a bit behind. Now lets hope he had also measured the DX50 on high gain :S

Now let's ask him that....
smile.gif

Oct 21, 2013 at 2:29 AM Post #114 of 297
Those measurements make so much more sense. Very good DAP for powering low impedance headphones.

Oct 21, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #116 of 297
  please someone else measure these two in terms of power. I'm asking because WE need to make sure these test results are either correct or incorrect...

I'm 100% certain that they are indeed correct this time, and that both the X3 and DX50 were in high gain during the test, one can know the gain in use by the max voltage output. X3 has low gain at 1.5v and high gain at 3v which during the test is shown at 2.74v, which means was on high gain. batteries lose some voltage while discharging, so at max charge the output would probably be at 2.9v. The DX50 is also on high gain because ibasso specifies 1.2v low gain, 1.7v medium gain, 3.1v high gain. During the test the DX50 shows a max 2.49v, so must be in high gain, and I'm sure at 100% battery charge the figure would be closer to 3v.

This means both players have 3v of voltage swing.
X3 wins big in two areas though:

1. Has considerably more power output
  2. Retains its 3v voltage swing with headphones under 40 ohm, while the DX50 and HM-601 both quickly lose voltage with headphones below 40 ohm.

Although it still stands that the DX50 probably has a better implemented DAC, THD from DX50 at 0.003, exceptional. While X3 at 0.116 THD, quite high for an audiophile DAP.

Overall both great DAPs really, I hope the X5 improves the THD issue and also uses slightly more neutral, less forward more spacious sounding op amps but still fun to listen to, it really has a chance to be killer if Fiio has actually improved upon the X3 rather than just throwing some new DAC chip into another "simply OK" PCB design. I really like the PCB design of the DX50, seems very very clean and the test results show it.

Oct 21, 2013 at 5:19 AM Post #117 of 297
^Yeah, fiio should have done better on that one! Appreciate the efforts. Perhaps you should test at full charge?

Oct 21, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #118 of 297

I'm 100% certain that they are indeed correct this time, and that both the X3 and DX50 were in high gain during the test, one can know the gain in use by the max voltage output. X3 has low gain at 1.5v and high gain at 3v which during the test is shown at 2.74v, which means was on high gain. batteries lose some voltage while discharging, so at max charge the output would probably be at 2.9v. The DX50 is also on high gain because ibasso specifies 1.2v low gain, 1.7v medium gain, 3.1v high gain. During the test the DX50 shows a max 2.49v, so must be in high gain, and I'm sure at 100% battery charge the figure would be closer to 3v.

This means both players have 3v of voltage swing.
X3 wins big in two areas though:

1. Has considerably more power output
  2. Retains its 3v voltage swing with headphones under 40 ohm, while the DX50 and HM-601 both quickly lose voltage with headphones below 40 ohm.

Although it still stands that the DX50 probably has a better implemented DAC, THD from DX50 at 0.003, exceptional. While X3 at 0.116 THD, quite high for an audiophile DAP.

Overall both great DAPs really, I hope the X5 improves the THD issue and also uses slightly more neutral, less forward more spacious sounding op amps but still fun to listen to, it really has a chance to be killer if Fiio has actually improved upon the X3 rather than just throwing some new DAC chip into another "simply OK" PCB design. I really like the PCB design of the DX50, seems very very clean and the test results show it.

again, the distortion in 0dBFS is not a big issues cause most of the time, the music is playing under 0dBFS ( which is related to the biggest sound level) and we can easy fixed this by firmware but it make not difference when playing music .

Also , RMAA is not a serious test instrument for THD test.  and I think there will have someone who have AP instrument . BTW, anyone can find the detail tested resule on our website, and you can also send email to ask other the real spesification.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Oct 21, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #119 of 297
^What dBFS would it make sense to measure at?

And how is the FW coming?

Oct 22, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #120 of 297
I am curious if any human can hear the difference between a THD of 0.003% vs a THD of 0.116%. I am not even sure if a THD 0.5% is humanly audible. All headphones have THD+noise of well over 0.1% at 100db (many go over 1%). In other words, your headphones will make more distortion than your DAP/DAC/amp at high sound level.

Between a THD of 0.5% and an capacitor coupled output with impedance of 2 ohms, I personally would rather have the former. YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back