iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Jan 20, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #2,357 of 14,596
Android does not affect SQ on modern, optimised DAPs even one iota. I think it's time we stop beating that dead horse.
Background processes are always here, I can usually hear flat EQ switched in or even things like gapless type options engaged on dedicated OS's. No OS will be perfect but I suspect Android devices are now nearly or actually equally good. There's likely a reason that Lotoo and L&P still write their own code. They however don't do many of the things required of modern DAPs like streaming from the web or storage etc, etc. Things I would now like to have once I heard Qobuz. Tidal never did a thing for me. Also makes listening to my NAS based library much more viable.

Sounds like the voicing here is pretty awesome. Congrats to owners and iBasso. Make a mini one without amp cards and I may be in. :wink:

Jan 20, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #2,358 of 14,596
Analog sounds better when it hisses, crackles and pops. That is the real magic of analog systems :wink: lol. They are “Beautiful noises” which is different than “White noises”
You wouldn't believe how good 24/192 vinyl transfers can sound with the best analog kit and Nagra VI with a linear supply.

Jan 20, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #2,359 of 14,596
Got mine this morning.
Straight out of the box it sounds big and lush.

One thing, on mango os, the buttons and swipes seem to be reversed!

Changed to android mango player and the buttons are the correct way round. Also scrolling through Artists and tracks is a lot smoother. I obviously can't comment on any sound diffs yet.

I am assuming this is not a problem with my unit.

Jan 20, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #2,360 of 14,596
Try it on the MangoOS Tiger.

MangoOS has no hisses right ?

Will do later today

Tiger can hear hiss when IEMs are disconnected and the DAP is switched off :p

Aaa shoot you unveiled my secret ! How did you known about it!

Isn’t that because tiger always hisses ? Except may be only when Jenna is pampering him ? Lol just kidding

LoL that's when Tiger starts to purrr 🙃😃

And I have mild tinnitus so no DAP is ever going to hiss louder than my left ear already does. :sweat:

😢

Haha, don't joke. I hear LESS hiss when listening to music, so trying to find this so-called phantom hiss with modern DAPs is totally perplexing to me. Unless you use CA IEMs that hiss disconnected, but then that's your fault!

Hmmm I can hear hiss when I ware my iems but when I don't I can only hear hiss when my surroundings noise level is bellow 15 db...
Yea its weird its like your in a noise less environment and its so quiet that your ears start creating hiss so you know you are there lmao

Analog sounds better when it hisses, crackles and pops. That is the real magic of analog systems :wink: lol. They are “Beautiful noises” which is different than “White noises”

Aarrrr purecting purfecting 🤣

Jan 20, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #2,361 of 14,596
Jan 20, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #2,363 of 14,596
Whose voices ? Don’t happen to be your right ? Lol ? May be We need to have his name changed to Vitaly9

TwisterHell 666

Jan 20, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #2,364 of 14,596
Does this need uapp app? I heard android is limiting the bit per bit transfer. Does a dap need uapp or its only applicable on smartphones?
you can use uapp in dap or smartphones. just need playstore

Jan 20, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #2,365 of 14,596
DX300 bypasses the constraint for bit for bit by Android. We were the first one to implement this with the DX100 and the tradition has continued. You are not losing bits with Android when using our daps.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Jan 20, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #2,366 of 14,596
I finally got the opportunity to try the DX300 in the shop yesterday and I must say I’m quite impressed. For the price that’s very good. Very likely the best bang for the buck on the market right now.

I only tried with my LCD i4 and I made some quick A/Bing with my L&P LP6 Gold. I tried to match the EQ as best as I could between the two devices (LP6 only has band EQ and the frequencies of each bands are slightly different from the DX300 ones).
So, spoiler alert, I’m gonna tell you right away that, to my ears, DX300 still has some way to go to reach LP6 Gold in SQ, but well... at nearly 1/5th the price that should be expected I guess... No real surprise here... One thing I must note here though is that the shop received it quite recently, so I’m not sure if it got a thorough burn in.
Some of the main differences I’ve noticed during my fairly short listening session are :
- bass impact / quality / tightness. Even though I think DX300 is one of the best DAP I’ve tried to bring the nice bass out of the i4, it cannot match LP6. I think bass is one of the greatest qualities of L&P DAPs, especially LP6 which I truly think is the absolute king on that aspect.
- soundstage realism. DX300 has a very precise and spacious soundstage but lacks a little bit in realism compared to LP6. With LP6 you have more the feeling that you’re actually listening to the real thing. You have a sensation that the instruments are really playing together in the same location, with a lot of air and precise 3D placement. Most other DAPs don’t have the same sense of unison and naturalness.
- Drum kicks realism and impact as well as cymbals tonality. Cymbals definitely don’t sound as realistic and natural. It feels a lot more artificial.

All those sound criticism might sound very negative, but it definitely isn’t! Keep in mind that we’re comparing a $1200 device to a nearly $5000 one...
DX300 is actually one of the most enjoyable DAP I’ve tried with the LCD i4s and I’ve tried most of the big guys (N8, SP2000, DX220 max, L&P P6, L&P LP6 Gold, LPGT Ti,...), LP6 Gold being the absolute winner by a significant margin compared to anything else in the portable realm (looking forward to trying the Ti version...). Here I’m just talking about SQ obviously, because feature wise, LP6 is a solid and hefty piece of junk! :laughing: DX300 is running circles around it night and day on the feature set.

Now for the thing I hated the most about DX300 is the size! I just feel it’s totally absurd! I personally don’t have any need whatsoever for such a big screen (which by the way is stunning) on a DAP. This DAP is so big that it made my LP6 look like a midget!!! Seriously?!!! 😳
It’s actually very surprising, because the size doesn’t relate to its weight! It feels super light. You almost have the feeling the thing is hollow. :D It’s probably half the weight of LP6 and feels significantly lighter than LPGT TI which is a lot smaller.
Also, I noticed while removing the leather case (also pretty nice) that the plastic back plate had a huge scratch on it. The shop had it for a week at most, so I’m not sure how it will age in the long run.
Apart from that, it definitely is a fantastic option overall, especially when factoring the price. The PMEQ is the best I’ve seen so far (I didn’t try Fiio, shanling and other Android DAPs).

Here it is for my quick first impressions / comparison. I don’t know if it can be helpful to anyone, but at least you have it! :laughing:
Sadly I didn’t have my now old & retired DX200 Amp 3 to give you guys a probably more meaningful comparison, but for what I heard with DX300, it sounded more musical overall.

Cheers,

Julien

Jan 20, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #2,370 of 14,596
The real question is where would you go about to OBTAIN an LP6Ti?

Well, it’s actually not that hard to find second hand ones on XianYu in China. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back