iBasso DX220Max ****************** New FW! 1.01 for download! 1st Page.
Jul 15, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #2,132 of 3,626
Yes, the digital section will often drain faster than the amp section. This is normal.

I did tested the MAX with 24/44.1 files today on a loop on an airplane mode. The MAX lasted only 5.5 hours. After it charged up a little bit and turned back on, the amp section has over 55% left on it. This is with IER-Z1R with the gain setting at low and DAC volume at 150. It this normal? I don’t recall having this problem earlier. This has only occurred in the last 4 days or so. The MAX doesn’t even last half work day for me.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #2,133 of 3,626
I have been listening for close to 3hrs today and my battery shows: 79% Analog and 81% Digital on Low Gain, DAC vol 150 and the volume knob at 1/4 turn listening to 16/44 recordings. This is on my modified MAX.

@Whitigir, does the heat management improvements on my unit help in battery life?

Jul 15, 2020 at 8:07 PM Post #2,134 of 3,626
I have been listening for close to 3hrs today and my battery shows: 79% Analog and 81% Digital on Low Gain, DAC vol 150 and the volume knob at 1/4 turn listening to 16/44 recordings. This is on my modified MAX.

@Whitigir, does the heat management improvements on my unit help in battery life?

I honestly doubt “Heat management would effect batteries that way”. More like for the player processing performances of playing back music and also UI speed etc..

Jul 16, 2020 at 1:30 AM Post #2,136 of 3,626
I did tested the MAX with 24/44.1 files today on a loop on an airplane mode. The MAX lasted only 5.5 hours. After it charged up a little bit and turned back on, the amp section has over 55% left on it. This is with IER-Z1R with the gain setting at low and DAC volume at 150. It this normal? I don’t recall having this problem earlier. This has only occurred in the last 4 days or so. The MAX doesn’t even last half work day for me.
And you said that you have run the DAC section battery all the way down and then you did a run time test again?

Are you running any apps on the Max? Please try a factory reset and also try it with the Mango app and see what kind of dac time you get that way.

Last edited:
iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Jul 16, 2020 at 8:53 AM Post #2,137 of 3,626
Regarding battery test on my DX220 MAX review unit, I have done quite a few measurements and getting consistent results under these conditions:
  • DAC volume at 130 and Analog volume around 9 o'clock (normal listening volume)
  • Using average impedance/sensitivity pair of IEMs connected to 4.4mm balanced headphone output
  • Medium gain, Filter 1 setting
  • BT and WiFi off, screen mostly off, only occasional glimpse to check the battery status
  • playing a mix of mp3/flac files in a loop
and MAX lasts about 11hrs 45min with digital battery drained to shutdown and analog battery remaining closer to 20%.

Of course, switching to higher gain, playing higher resolution files, streaming and having BT and WiFi on, and using demanding headphones will add more variables to drain these batteries faster, but for a relative comparison I typically run the best case scenario test to get a baseline number for a battery.

Jul 16, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #2,139 of 3,626
Yeah, I have no problem running up to 8-9 hours which is DMP Z1 territory’s. I didn’t try 130 DaC volume yet, but I am glad you tried it and it lasted for more than 11 hours

and keep in mind, Vince, I don't play DSD512 files :wink: This is an absolutely best case scenario just to give a point of reference, sort of a baseline. Do you keep your DAC volume at max?

Jul 16, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #2,140 of 3,626
and keep in mind, Vince, I don't play DSD512 files :wink: This is an absolutely best case scenario just to give a point of reference, sort of a baseline. Do you keep your DAC volume at max?
Yes, I always max it out 150 and low gain. I don’t use DSD512 recently, and so I think having Max to play Redbook file at 8-9 hours with what I have is pretty awesome

Jul 16, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #2,141 of 3,626

I recall mine was like that initially mad now disparity between the DAC and amp sections are even greater.
And you said that you have run the DAC section battery all the way down and then you did a run time test again?

Are you running any apps on the Max? Please try a factory reset and also try it with the Mango app and see what kind of dac time you get that way.
Yes, did run it all the way down. DAC volume at 150, low gain, and with IER-Z1R. Less than 9 o’clock on the volume. Got 5.5 hours of battery life before the unit turned itself off. Android. It also take forever to charge up the last 10% of the DAC battery. Took almost an hour going from 90% to 100%.
When the DAC battery was at 25%, the depleting rate was at 1% a minute until off. You can see from the pictures below that the difference between the battery level is 48% between the DAC and amp section. I will do some test on pure Mango mode next. How to do a hard reset?

81E21E24-5773-4F25-A762-15CAF5A7A5C0.jpeg

B40EA4E7-BE28-4AC1-B9E0-AFDE82F4CC38.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #2,143 of 3,626
I recall mine was like that initially mad now disparity between the DAC and amp sections are even greater.

Yes, did run it all the way down. DAC volume at 150, low gain, and with IER-Z1R. Less than 9 o’clock on the volume. Got 5.5 hours of battery life before the unit turned itself off. Android. It also take forever to charge up the last 10% of the DAC battery. Took almost an hour going from 90% to 100%.
When the DAC battery was at 25%, the depleting rate was at 1% a minute until off. You can see from the pictures below that the difference between the battery level is 48% between the DAC and amp section. I will do some test on pure Mango mode next. How to do a hard reset?

B40EA4E7-BE28-4AC1-B9E0-AFDE82F4CC38.jpeg

Mine was in Mango mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back