iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Dec 3, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #1,771 of 6,991
Can anyone recommend an inexpensive but good balanced cable to try with my Shure SE425's and the DX160? Never tried balanced ears before so no I can I fancy giving it a go.

Dec 3, 2019 at 2:06 PM Post #1,772 of 6,991
Hi there,

What kind of price range are you thinking?
One thing I've noticed with Head-Fi is that it ends up distorting people's perception of what 'budget' and 'value' actually mean to them :p
So it would be helpful to know what kind of price range you're thinking? Also, is there any aspect of the sound signature you want to enhance/decrease?

Dec 3, 2019 at 2:59 PM Post #1,773 of 6,991
How do I install UAPP it's not on teh English APK site. Do. I have to side load it?

Dec 3, 2019 at 3:01 PM Post #1,774 of 6,991
Hi there,

What kind of price range are you thinking?
One thing I've noticed with Head-Fi is that it ends up distorting people's perception of what 'budget' and 'value' actually mean to them :p
So it would be helpful to know what kind of price range you're thinking? Also, is there any aspect of the sound signature you want to enhance/decrease?

Not much more than a hundred to start with. I don't really know much about balanced and what it can bring to the table so any info would be appreciated.

Dec 3, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #1,775 of 6,991
Well this things a let down and may well be going back. It's red hot after an hour's use and sounds no better than my stock one plus 5 without a DAC attached and with the Dragonfly beats it hands down.

The WiFi on the device is next to useless, on my ac 5ghz network it barely gets over 15mb/s where my phone and tablet gets to 120 or higher on 2ghz it's a joke can't get past 5mb/s I get 30/50 on everything else I own. Can't get my music on it or download offfline files as it keeps bombing out because of the crap WiFi.

Not overly happy for a device at this price.

Dec 3, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #1,776 of 6,991
Well this things a let down and may well be going back. It's red hot after an hour's use and sounds no better than my stock one plus 5 without a DAC attached and with the Dragonfly beats it hands down.

The WiFi on the device is next to useless, on my ac 5ghz network it barely gets over 15mb/s where my phone and tablet gets to 120 or higher on 2ghz it's a joke can't get past 5mb/s I get 30/50 on everything else I own. Can't get my music on it or download offfline files as it keeps bombing out because of the crap WiFi.

Should only get warm, even with DSD. I would try a factory reset and if that doesn't cure it, I would get a replacement. It really is an excellent player and I stream by wifi from the next room through a wall but like the SD card the best though Amazon Ultra HD is very good and millions of songs.

Dec 3, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #1,777 of 6,991

Maybe something is wrong with your unit and it needs to be replaced? Could be a faulty DX160, based on some of your descriptions above, especially overheating.

Regarding the comment about your 4 year old smartphone sounding as good as DX160, and DF sounding even better, are you for real or just trolling out of frustration? :wink:

Dec 3, 2019 at 5:23 PM Post #1,778 of 6,991
Maybe something is wrong with your unit and it needs to be replaced? Could be a faulty DX160, based on some of your descriptions above, especially overheating.

Regarding the comment about your 4 year old smartphone sounding as good as DX160, and DF sounding even better, are you for real or just trolling out of frustration? :wink:

For real it does not sound that great to me at all. I.might be jaded by the fact it's frustrating to load anything on to it but It's definitely not a big improvement over the dragonfly and UAPP with my phone. I am going to update to the lates firmware that's listed on their Facebook page but not on the site and see if this changes anything. But I think the WiFi is just duff. I'll keep an eye on the heat thing as I was installing apps and downloading firmware which took an age.

Dec 3, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #1,779 of 6,991
First off, I think the DFR was a great milestone piece. Also, the two sound very different to me in attack/decay. Very different. So you just may like the DF minimum phase sharp filter and VERY tight bass decay.

That said, I think the DX160 wipes the floor with it.

Dec 3, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #1,780 of 6,991
Factory resets done nothing to improve things not has firmware update. Even when I stand under my access point it can't get to the speed any other device can from anywhere in the house. It's a joke and from reading other posts about the WiFi and audio issues which I have not encountered it seems this is either a bad antenna or chip and I can't see this being rectified by a new one.

If something is like this from new I tend to not bother with a replacement as it cries out poor quality control and no guarantees a new one will change anything, and I don't think it will. I would be interested to here what speeds others are getting though I bet it's not much. I am less than 4 m away and 5ghz Struggles to get 10mb/s, my 3 year old phone 124mb/s.

Dec 3, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #1,781 of 6,991
Factory resets done nothing to improve things not has firmware update. Even when I stand under my access point it can't get to the speed any other device can from anywhere in the house. It's a joke and from reading other posts about the WiFi and audio issues which I have not encountered it seems this is either a bad antenna or chip and I can't see this being rectified by a new one.

If something is like this from new I tend to not bother with a replacement as it cries out poor quality control and no guarantees a new one will change anything, and I don't think it will. I would be interested to here what speeds others are getting though I bet it's not much. I am less than 4 m away and 5ghz Struggles to get 10mb/s, my 3 year old phone 124mb/s.
I can download by wifi 150mb very fast, no issues. Stream hi res, no issues etc. I think you got a bum unit. It happens. I am on my 3rd Epson P800 professional printer due to an issue that they are resolving. It happens.

Dec 3, 2019 at 8:38 PM Post #1,782 of 6,991

man return your unit and problem solved, your experience does not have to be equal to everyone's, I understand your discomfort and I believe you, but there is no point in continuing with a product to continue bothering you, you must make decisions and I hope you find your DAP final .. . good day!

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2019 at 3:04 AM Post #1,783 of 6,991
In the light of the morning I am returning the unit and against better judgement have asked for a replacement to see if it's any better.

Dec 4, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #1,784 of 6,991
Can i take off back glass cover of DX160? Is it glued on liek on new smartphones?

Dec 5, 2019 at 2:44 AM Post #1,785 of 6,991
Hi All, so far I'm very happy with this DAP, it's my 2nd one after a Nationite S:flo2 (quite a while ago and huge differences), the only problem I'm experiencing now is the lack of wi-fi signal power, even though my device is 1 meter away from my router the wi-fi signal is showing "Fair" and almost constantly changing from full signal to fair.. I have the latest firmware installed 1.3.123 and I've done a factory reset right after the upgrade

Are you having such issues?

Thanks and cheers,
Bruno

Users who are viewing this thread

Back