iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Feb 11, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #10,607 of 13,503
When you go to your audio file, and try the play the whole single file, then revert back to the main player, you still don't get a CUE button that appears in the top right?! Weird.

Feb 11, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #10,608 of 13,503
Quote:
It seem that iBasso bumps up the bass after each firmware update, I think they should go back to 1.1.7 bass and just add a bass boost control in the music player instead so to accommodate each user preference without installing firmware: 

+1. I'm surprised that not many seemed to be bothered by the new firmwares. I would have thought it would have been too much bass in anyone's estimation.

Feb 11, 2013 at 8:43 AM Post #10,609 of 13,503
Quote:
When you go to your audio file, and try the play the whole single file, then revert back to the main player, you still don't get a CUE button that appears in the top right?! Weird.

There is a button which looks like the file button on the left, but it only displays separate song titles from files which are already separated. It doesn't show the song titles from single files with cues sheets.

Feb 11, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #10,610 of 13,503

Quote:

Quote:
There is a button which looks like the file button on the left, but it only displays separate song titles from files which are already separated. It doesn't show the song titles from single files with cues sheets.

I don't use cuesheets but it's just an idea - what happens if you create a new playlist > add the gapless file to that playlist > select that file from the playlist and play and then return to the main (fullscreen) player - does the "CUE" button show up then?

Also are your cue sheets "embedded" in the files or separate files? Are you using FLAC/ALAC/WAV/MP3?

Could you open an example cue sheet with notepad and post it here?

Feb 11, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #10,611 of 13,503
Pretty much set on getting one of these, especially now my car has passed it's MOT and not thrown up a big bill
beerchug.gif
. Planning on seeing how it goes with the Klipsch Image x10's for the time being and when the cable finally goes I'll look into some CIEM's, though sourcing some locally seems to limit my choice - don't really want to get another customs hit after my Mr Speakers Maddogs!

Does anyone have any recommendations for a case/screen protector I could get from the UK?

Feb 11, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #10,612 of 13,503
For the case, I found a Nintendo DS case working great.

But, well, let's go to the point of my post.

I've been wandering around this thread for a while now and I can but think you all (or, at least, the great part of you) have a twisted idea of sound quality. I found the last firmware being absolutely muddy and quite unlistenable (after dealing with it for about one week, so it's not a first impression) so I jumped back to 1.2.7. However, it's to say that the overall sound quality of the DX100 is not that astonishing thing you all talk about. Soundstage is very constricted, high feel grainy and a bit harsh (and right know, while writing, I'm listening through Audeze LCD3... not the brightest headphones out there), and the background is far from being the blackest black some of you talk about. The fact is that ES9018 is not that top resolving DAC many here say it is, it lacks in various aspects, one of it's main weak points is the soundstage.
However, I'm happy with my DX100, thinking I've taken it mainly to use it as a transport for my DAC+Amp setup, and it's nice to have the possibility to listen to my power hungry headphones while walking around my house thank to the powerful amp the DX100 has, and however it has a better sound quality than all the other DAPs I've tried in time (however the C4 has better soundstage and blacker background).

I just want to make clear to everyone interested in buying the DX100 that with it you don't get an all-resolving-hifi-device-with-over-the-top-sound-quality-bla-bla-bla as most people here are saying. You just get a good DAP with the possibility to use it as a transport. And this possibility is the only reason why you should buy this DAP instead of a cheaper one.

Feb 11, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #10,613 of 13,503

I've been wandering around this thread for a while now and I can but think you all (or, at least, the great part of you) have a twisted idea of sound quality. I found the last firmware being absolutely muddy and quite unlistenable (after dealing with it for about one week, so it's not a first impression) so I jumped back to 1.2.7. However, it's to say that the overall sound quality of the DX100 is not that astonishing thing you all talk about. Soundstage is very constricted, high feel grainy and a bit harsh (and right know, while writing, I'm listening through Audeze LCD3... not the brightest headphones out there), and the background is far from being the blackest black some of you talk about. The fact is that ES9018 is not that top resolving DAC many here say it is, it lacks in various aspects, one of it's main weak points is the soundstage.
However, I'm happy with my DX100, thinking I've taken it mainly to use it as a transport for my DAC+Amp setup, and it's nice to have the possibility to listen to my power hungry headphones while walking around my house thank to the powerful amp the DX100 has, and however it has a better sound quality than all the other DAPs I've tried in time (however the C4 has better soundstage and blacker background).

I just want to make clear to everyone interested in buying the DX100 that with it you don't get an all-resolving-hifi-device-with-over-the-top-sound-quality-bla-bla-bla as most people here are saying. You just get a good DAP with the possibility to use it as a transport. And this possibility is the only reason why you should buy this DAP instead of a cheaper one.

I'll stick with being really impressed, but thanks for an honest opinion! 
biggrin.gif

What's your home DAC/amp combo that you're comparing the dx100 to?

Thanks,
Chris

Feb 11, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #10,615 of 13,503
Not to change subjects here, but has anyone compared this to the ak100, im really impressed with both and i want to get one or the other this summer after saving a few extra hundred.Im not really seeing any comparisons, and no i did not read all 700 pages to find out. thanks for the input in advance.

Feb 11, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #10,616 of 13,503
Quote:
Not to change subjects here, but has anyone compared this to the ak100, im really impressed with both and i want to get one or the other this summer after saving a few extra hundred.Im not really seeing any comparisons, and no i did not read all 700 pages to find out. thanks for the input in advance.

I have both. Still comparing. So far the DX100 is vast in the audio landscape when compared but so far enjoying both. The AK100 has a little harder sound but I like to give plenty of time for caps and other components to settle in.

Feb 11, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #10,617 of 13,503

And what entitles you to put your opinion above the opinion of most other people, some of them having a longstanding experience in testing gear ? I am not talking about myself but I really do not get where the condescending tone comes from.

Feb 11, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #10,618 of 13,503
Quote:

The great thing about expressing an opinion is that we all have one and have the right to state it here. It is also great that we can disagree and your opinion is so different from what I hear it would seem we depart from what is good sound by a wide degree. Variety is the spice of life, as are opinions. Some spice I like and some I don't enjoy. All in the taste, music or otherwise.

Loving my DX100. :^)

Feb 12, 2013 at 3:43 AM Post #10,620 of 13,503
Quote:

What a lovely tone for your first post, welcome aboard!

Off course the DX100 is not the be-all end-all summit-fi to eclipse all other audio equipment out there. It is, however, the best sounding DAP. I must strongly disagree with you regarding the blacker background. Using IEMs, I found the C4 to be quite a bit more noisy than the DX100. Even with 12ohm Merlins, the DX100 is absolutely noise free.

Try adding an Alo Rx mk IIIb to the chain with those LCD-3's... 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back