iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Mar 1, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #10,921 of 13,503
Thought I'd share an experience from last night. I was trying to rip the 96 kHz/24 bit 2-channel blu-ray remaster of Dark Side of the Moon from the Immersion set last night. I ripped it the same way I've done all my other blu-ray rips (using DVD Audio Extractor). The DX100 has had no issues playing these files from other albums (unless it is the source of my random skipping issue, but aside from that, the DX100 plays the files). And the files always work perfectly in iTunes.

Well, for whatever reason, the ALACs from the 96 kHz/24 bit DSOTM will _not_ play on on the DX100. Attempting to play them crashes the music player. I ripped them again, same thing. I transcoded the ALAC to FLAC and they play perfectly. Thus my conclusion: the DX100 has very poor support for ALAC.

Mar 1, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #10,922 of 13,503
Have you tried transcoding them back to ALAC and then trying them?

Mar 1, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #10,923 of 13,503
In the case of DSOTM, yup. I spent 3 hours last night just trying to get it into a format the DX100 would play. These are the combinations I tried:

DVDAE -> ALAC (fail)
DVDAE -> ALAC again just for fun (fail)
DVDAE -> WAV -> ALAC (fail)
ALAC -> WAV -> ALAC (fail)
ALAC -> FLAC (works)

I'm just happy I found something that works. I hope I don't run into other issues though. Can you imagine if the DX100 didn't have the audio quality it does? No one would put up with such a finicky player.

Mar 1, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #10,924 of 13,503
Well I'm glad it at least plays FLAC, but that's kind of disappointing.  I hope it's something that can be fixed in firmware.  Have you told iBasso about it?

Why do you use ALAC anyway?  Just curious...

Mar 1, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #10,925 of 13,503
Quote:

Exactly what mods have you done to the PortaPros?

The easy ones that I could handle: The Kramer mod and the quarter mod.  If you haven't seen these elsewhere in the forum, the Kramer mod consists of drilling bigger holes in the plastic earpieces so that more sound comes through.  It's a little tricky prying them off but the instructions were pretty good.  I had to make sure to file down the edges well because there was initially some residual vibration.  The quarter mod was just cutting quarter sized holes in the foam.  I'm waiting for a sale at Amazon to get another pair for backup.  I didn't try to recable these but I notice someone on the web was selling recabled portapros (the bigger model).

Someone I know thought these were a little harsh on the high-end, but I like them paired with the DX100, especially for what I paid (<$15).

Mar 1, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #10,926 of 13,503
I use ALAC because until a few days ago when I got my DX100, all my music playing happened through iTunes, iPhones and iPods, and ALAC is the only lossless format supported by those players. Years ago, when I started getting into higher quality audio, I looked at the available options for lossless formats and decided to do everything in ALAC because (a) it was supported by everything I wanted to use; (b) it is easy to losslessly convert to other formats, should I chose to do so later.

This means that almost 100% of my library is ALAC. I try to avoid having multiple versions of something, which is why I was really happy to read that the DX100 supports ALAC. But now that I discover it doesn't really support ALAC and I need to maintain FLAC and ALAC versions of some songs, so I can still use iTunes on my computers. Not a big deal really, I just keep the FLACs on the DX100, and if I ever lose it or the memory gets corrupted, I can easily create the FLACs again.

Mar 1, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #10,927 of 13,503
Maybe it's only files that you ripped from BD that have problems?  Have you tried just regular old redbook files as ALAC?

Mar 1, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #10,928 of 13,503
Quote:
I use ALAC because until a few days ago when I got my DX100, all my music playing happened through iTunes, iPhones and iPods, and ALAC is the only lossless format supported by those players. Years ago, when I started getting into higher quality audio, I looked at the available options for lossless formats and decided to do everything in ALAC because (a) it was supported by everything I wanted to use; (b) it is easy to losslessly convert to other formats, should I chose to do so later.

This means that almost 100% of my library is ALAC. I try to avoid having multiple versions of something, which is why I was really happy to read that the DX100 supports ALAC. But now that I discover it doesn't really support ALAC and I need to maintain FLAC and ALAC versions of some songs, so I can still use iTunes on my computers. Not a big deal really, I just keep the FLACs on the DX100, and if I ever lose it or the memory gets corrupted, I can easily create the FLACs again.

In order for you to go 24/192, FLAC and WAV are the only ways to go~~~~

Mar 1, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #10,930 of 13,503
Quote:
Maybe it's only files that you ripped from BD that have problems?  Have you tried just regular old redbook files as ALAC?

I have other ALACs ripped from BD that play without issue. I think one compounding factor here is I didn't wait the requisite ~20 minutes after adding media for the DX100 to finish scanning. Once I let it sit for a while and finish, some other problems I was having went away. Still learning the ins and outs of this thing...

Mar 2, 2013 at 2:06 AM Post #10,931 of 13,503
For a device that does not support cue files, album art, etc....alac 24/192 will be the last thing they will fix~~~~~~~

He'll, this thing even have problems with m normal playbacks. I guess it will be much short time if u just convert them into wave.

Mar 2, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #10,932 of 13,503
The DX100 has its quirks. Every time i load new music in, it takes a pretty good amount of patience before i can start enjoy them.
Luckily my usage preference is simple and i just access my files (wav only) from the directory or album tabs. Album art would be nice but isn't important.

However, like most have mention, once the music starts .. all is well
o2smile.gif

Mar 2, 2013 at 5:45 AM Post #10,933 of 13,503
Amen to that!  
ksc75smile.gif

I haven't had too many problems.  a couple here and there, but nothing more than a minor annoyance.

it would appear that you'll be happier if you concentrate on flac files.  Which suits me just fine!

Mar 2, 2013 at 5:48 AM Post #10,934 of 13,503
Quote:
Amen to that!  
ksc75smile.gif

I haven't had too many problems.  a couple here and there, but nothing more than a minor annoyance.

it would appear that you'll be happier if you concentrate on flac files.  Which suits me just fine!

Hah, funny you mention that. I'm having trouble with a few of my flac transcodes not not being played in the correct order by the DX100. I've verified the tags are correct and perfect. I've tried re-encoding, re-ripping, whatever. It wants to play them in its own order and not mine. Even the filenames are prefixed with numbers in the correct order. God damn this DX100 :frowning2:

Mar 2, 2013 at 5:51 AM Post #10,935 of 13,503
Quote:
Hah, funny you mention that. I'm having trouble with a few of my flac transcodes not not being played in the correct order by the DX100. I've verified the tags are correct and perfect. I've tried re-encoding, re-ripping, whatever. It wants to play them in its own order and not mine. Even the filenames are prefixed with numbers in the correct order. God damn this DX100 :frowning2:

How are they tagged? Try post a screen shot of this particular album via mp3tag and let me see.

Did you tag them like this? 01 Unforgiven, 02 I Write Sins Not Tragedies

I think tagging things like 1 Unforgiven, or 1. Unforgiven, 1 - Unforgiven will lead to order issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back