iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Feb 27, 2013 at 6:15 AM Post #10,876 of 13,503
Quote:
How well does the latest version of the DX100 firmware handle Apple Lossless (aka ALAC) files? I'm considering getting the DX100, and at one point I read it had trouble displaying tags from ALAC files and potentially some other issues. My entire library is in Apple Lossless and while I could convert it all to FLAC just for the DX100, I'd like to avoid it if possible.

I'm not using the lastest but v.1.2.7 FW, and ALAC tags display fine; in fact, the DX100 handles ALAC the best for me in terms of loading the album art straight off, whereas with nearly all my other formats, it takes one play-back before it loads the album art.
The only weird occurence I've had is a couple of 24bits/192kHz ALAC that display like 32bits/192kHz. But they play fine.
Disclaimer: the trick with album art display might be that the cover art needs to be attached to each track and not just the album to load fast. This has been reported by other DX100 users IIRC. I need to find out how to change some settings in my FLAC encoders to get to assign the album art to each track, and I'll report back on how that gets handled by the DX100.

Feb 27, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #10,877 of 13,503
Quote:
Same problem, dx100 dose have strange pause while in my pocket during walking. Any one know how to fix it?

This problem seems to have recently popped up on this thread and has been experienced by a few users..including me.  Maybe it's because for the the first time since it's release there are users using the DX100 in a winter climate when the air is very dry.

Feb 27, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #10,878 of 13,503
Many thanks Mimouille and Sorensiim for your advice. Most appreciated

Feb 27, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #10,879 of 13,503
I'm the guy who did the 128GB adapter.  Just as an update to all...it's still working great, except that I've now managed to fill up the internal memory AND the 128GB card.  How much are 1TB SDXC cards?

For anyone considering using the adapter like I did, please make sure you read the entire post and use the 2nd adapter I found and not the first one (the first one fell apart very quickly, the 2nd one is much better constructed).  Also, updating 128GB through the DX100 is SLOOOOOOOW.  It's much faster to take the card out and put it in a reader.

I always have an amp attached to my DX100, so the "ugly" factor of the adapter isn't a big deal.  It fits nicely between the DX100 and the amp and can't be seen.

Feb 27, 2013 at 8:05 AM Post #10,880 of 13,503
I used to have the SE535 and they sound great. For such headphones, I would not upgrade. It is better to upgrade headphones in my opinion.

Many thanks for your reply. May I ask which headphone are you using now with the DX100 and your personal experience comparing the two?

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #10,881 of 13,503
Well guys, I've had my DX100 for about a week now, and I LOVE THIS DAP!!!!

The sound is simply awesome!  

I am a little disappointed that there's no ReplayGain support, but in reality it hasn't been a big issue since I'm finding myself playing albums, not shuffling.

I did discover that, while the DX100 plays Ogg-Vorbis files perfectly, it doesn't deal with their tags very well.  It also sometimes has difficulty playing them in the right order.  Even when the file renaming trick is attempted, some albums just play in a random order.  As of right now this is merely annoying.  Eventually I'll have nothing but flac files on it anyway.

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #10,882 of 13,503
Many thanks for your reply. May I ask which headphone are you using now with the DX100 and your personal experience comparing the two?
I have the Shure SE530x6 with a beat audio Sapphire cable which sounds great, like the 530 but withore space and details. I also use the Miracles with silver gold cable from Tralucent. It is more neutral sound but still musical, with more balance, huge space and great detail. Mids less warm and present than 530, and less bass quantity but better quality because on the 530 the bass might be too much...I will do a review soon. I use a Tralucent amp also.

Feb 27, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #10,883 of 13,503
This problem seems to have recently popped up on this thread and has been experienced by a few users..including me.  Maybe it's because for the the first time since it's release there are users using the DX100 in a winter climate when the air is very dry.

Well, do you have any solutions?
I SURE cannot change where I live

Feb 27, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #10,884 of 13,503
Quote:
I'm the guy who did the 128GB adapter.  Just as an update to all...it's still working great, except that I've now managed to fill up the internal memory AND the 128GB card.  How much are 1TB SDXC cards?

For anyone considering using the adapter like I did, please make sure you read the entire post and use the 2nd adapter I found and not the first one (the first one fell apart very quickly, the 2nd one is much better constructed).  Also, updating 128GB through the DX100 is SLOOOOOOOW.  It's much faster to take the card out and put it in a reader.

I always have an amp attached to my DX100, so the "ugly" factor of the adapter isn't a big deal.  It fits nicely between the DX100 and the amp and can't be seen.

I have gone to the page (the link needs to be corrected) but can't find where to purchase the adapter. Great info!

Feb 27, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #10,885 of 13,503
Has there been a pricing change on these? The only UK seller I could find has just put the pricing up by a massive £200 to £800! I had been waiting for them to get stock back in, but there is no way I'm going to be spending as much as they are asking for a new DAP and will have to look elsewhere it seems :frowning2:

Feb 27, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #10,886 of 13,503
Quote:
Well guys, I've had my DX100 for about a week now, and I LOVE THIS DAP!!!!

The sound is simply awesome!  

I am a little disappointed that there's no ReplayGain support, but in reality it hasn't been a big issue since I'm finding myself playing albums, not shuffling.

I did discover that, while the DX100 plays Ogg-Vorbis files perfectly, it doesn't deal with their tags very well.  It also sometimes has difficulty playing them in the right order.  Even when the file renaming trick is attempted, some albums just play in a random order.  As of right now this is merely annoying.  Eventually I'll have nothing but flac files on it anyway.

try to use DriveSort , this fixed my tracks to play in order. However, make sure that you follow lee's tagging procedure or at least have a sorting scheme first before using DriveSort 
dt880smile.png

Feb 27, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #10,887 of 13,503
Quote:
Well, do you have any solutions?
I SURE cannot change where I live

Me neither...at least not easily.

I am working to reliably reproduce the problem.  Once I can do that I was going to contact iBasso for suggestions.  I'm calmed down about it as it appears mine isn't "broken"...its just a potential design issue with all of them.

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #10,888 of 13,503
Quote:

try to use DriveSort , this fixed my tracks to play in order. However, make sure that you follow lee's tagging procedure or at least have a sorting scheme first before using DriveSort 
dt880smile.png

Thanks, I'll give it a whirl!

I have already tried Lee's advice, it didn't make any difference.

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #10,889 of 13,503
Has there been a pricing change on these? The only UK seller I could find has just put the pricing up by a massive £200 to £800! I had been waiting for them to get stock back in, but there is no way I'm going to be spending as much as they are asking for a new DAP and will have to look elsewhere it seems :frowning2:

Yes, that's an outrageous price. Just order directly from iBasso. They are a pleasure to do business with. I have no idea what UK customs and excise will ask of you, but I doubt it's on the order of £250.

Feb 28, 2013 at 2:55 AM Post #10,890 of 13,503
Quote:
Yes, that's an outrageous price. Just order directly from iBasso. They are a pleasure to do business with. I have no idea what UK customs and excise will ask of you, but I doubt it's on the order of £250.

When I ordered the DX100, my $50 USB sound card flew right past customs... 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back